Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Chase and Status look epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Chase and Status look epic.
    THeyre whole set was on the red button about a half hour ago... No Problem got a gigantic pit going in the centre of the crowd :pac:

THeyre whole set was on the red button about a half hour ago... No Problem got a gigantic pit going in the centre of the crowd :pac:

I presume Youtube will have it soon?

I presume Youtube will have it soon?
    I dont think BBC allow it to be uploaded, as I remember the Prodigy's set from last year getting taken down lots of times along with other acts sets.

On another note, another Irish act doing well, Maverick Sabre is from Wexford for those that dont know :)

I dont think BBC allow it to be uploaded, as I remember the Prodigy's set from last year getting taken down lots of times along with other acts sets.

On another note, another Irish act doing well, Maverick Sabre is from Wexford for those that dont know :)

I dunno, the whole Morrissey set is there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I posted this in another thread about U2's tax.

A few points:

1) Bono is resident in Ireland and pays his income tax. He ( and other members of U2) are one of the very few rock stars to stay resident in Ireland. At the time most people emigrated to the UK if they wanted to become famous - then the UK had much lower personal tax rates.
    2) It is U2 the company, not Bono, which has some of it's interests in Holland. Bono is not a majority member in that company, and is one of - at least - 5 shareholders. Therefore saying Bono is not paying tax is a bit like saying that I am not paying tax because I invest in Google who pay taxes in Holland ( and Ireland) not the US.
    3) The company U2 does pay taxes in Ireland, and Holland. Holland happens to have lower corporation tax, which is their decision. Doing this is no more a 'tax dodge" than Google being in Ireland rather than the US. Corporations will go where they can pay the least tax, and since they are all global, there is nothing immoral or illegal about it. America no more own Google, than Ireland owns U2. The shareholders own both and in all cases shareholders pay where they reside.
    4) It is really not the business of UK uncut - someone should tell them that the Empire is over.

U2 - the company - are paying less corporate tax in Holland, just as Google are paying less corporate tax in Ireland ( compared to the US). Bono is resident in Ireland and pays tax here. I think the Edge is resident in New York. They bring money into the country all the time.

It will be gone in a few days I say though, or maybe not, I just remember the prodigys set getting taken down last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Really??? Great voice.

Yahew wrote: »

A few points:

1) Bono is resident in Ireland and pays his income tax. He ( and other members of U2) are one of the very few rock stars to stay resident in Ireland. At the time most people emigrated to the UK if they wanted to become famous - then the UK had much lower personal tax rates.
    2) It is U2 the company, not Bono, which has some of it's interests in Holland. Bono is not a majority member in that company, and is one of - at least - 5 shareholders. Therefore saying Bono is not paying tax is a bit like saying that I am not paying tax because I invest in Google who pay taxes in Holland ( and Ireland) not the US. Whatever dividends he gets are taxed in Ireland. Thats a massive contribution to the Irish economy.
    3) The company U2 does pay taxes in Ireland, and Holland. Holland happens to have lower corporation tax, which is their decision. Doing this is no more a 'tax dodge" than Google being in Ireland rather than the US. Corporations will go where they can pay the least tax, and since they are all global, there is nothing immoral or illegal about it. America no more own Google, than Ireland owns U2. The shareholders own both and in all cases shareholders pay where they reside.
    4) It is really not the business of UK uncut - someone should tell them that the Empire is over.

U2 - the company - are paying less corporate tax in Holland, just as Google are paying less corporate tax in Ireland ( compared to the US). Bono is resident in Ireland and pays tax here. I think the Edge is resident in New York. They bring money into the country all the time.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wouldn't have guessed that with jamacicann accent and all! ;)

• Advertisement

Chase's whole set is starting again on the red button on the top left channel, have a look!

It will be gone in a few days I say though, or maybe not, I just remember the prodigys set getting taken down last year.

Year beforehand I think. Yeah that's right, shame that they looked insane at Glastonbury!

Really??? Great voice.
    Yep, born in england but grew up in Wexford. He lives in England again now though.
    Wouldn't have guessed that with jamacicann accent and all! ;)
    He considers himself Irish though I read.

Chase's whole set is starting again on the red button on the top left channel, have a look!

Ain't got it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

A few points:

2) It is U2 the company, not Bono, which has some of it's interests in Holland. Bono is not a majority member in that company, and is one of - at least - 5 shareholders. Therefore saying Bono is not paying tax is a bit like saying that I am not paying tax because I invest in Google who pay taxes in Holland ( and Ireland) not the US.

thats all well and good but you dont see the founders or CEO's of Google going around, at every possible opportunity, mouthing off about various countries fiscal policies in relation to aid to developing countries whilst on the other hand trying to pay as little tax as possible.

Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

All of Morrissey's set now on Youtube.

Cheers

I thought he was excellent tonight. Voice Brilliant Setlist Brilliant Crowd Meh
    Also thought he was quite humble when he quipped "we are singing as fast as we can we know you are all here to see U2" The irony is whereas Bono has the full light show and crap Moz just does the business. Legend:)

Roll on Vicar Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

whilst watching the chase and status set on red button decided its a must see at benicassim

GO MORRISSEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

skelliser wrote: »
    thats all well and good but you dont see the founders or CEO's of Google going around, at every possible opportunity, mouthing off about various countries fiscal policies in relation to aid to developing countries whilst on the other hand trying to pay as little tax as possible.

Hypocrites.

What have you done about 3rd world debt lately?

mal1 wrote: »
    What have you done about 3rd world debt lately?
    OH SNAP!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

cossy09 wrote: »
    Cheers

I thought he was excellent tonight. Voice Brilliant Setlist Brilliant Crowd Meh
    Also thought he was quite humble when he quipped "we are singing as fast as we can we know you are all here to see U2" The irony is whereas Bono has the full light show and crap Moz just does the business. Legend:)

Roll on Vicar Street

I thought, maybe, there was a bit of irony in the waiting for U2 "joke". In general there was some hostility to U2 before they turned up.

I still like Morrisey's songs and voice, but his stage charisma ( his negative charisma) doesn't work so well now he is old, and on a bigger stage. the crowd seemed a bit bored.

I thought, maybe, there was a bit of irony.

I still like Morrisey's songs and voice, but his stage charisma ( his negative charisma) doesn't work so well now he is old, and on a bigger stage. the crowd seemed a bit bored.

They weren't his crowd though. A solo show is totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

skelliser wrote: »

Hypocrites.

Google pay a chunk of their tax outside America and have their Euro HQ in Dublin purely for tax reasons. Their founders, Page and Brin, do nothing to publicise the poverty of third world countries. Both founders are, however, educational philanthropists and I assume give something to the underdeveloped nations given they are vastly more wealthy than U2.

U2 pay a some tax in Ireland and one member tries to draw attention to the issues in Africa but, because he doesn't pay all of his tax in this country, is ridiculed.

I'm not a big U2 fan. I don't think they've done anything decent in a decade or two but if they weren't a famous rock band, the majority of those taking issue with them wouldn't give a damn. There are many Irish businessmen who pay zero tax here that are far more worthy of venom.

Wu Tang are surprisingly very good live, even for a hip hop group!

OH SNAP!!!

Go outside and have a coffee and a smoke. whatever it takes? I don't want ot have to call your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

primal scream killed it. best act of the night iv seen

Wu Tang are surprisingly very good live, even for a hip hop group!

Wu-Tang are legends, and there are a lot of great hip hop artists who are great performers. Jay-Z springs to mind, as do Tyler The Creator and Odd Future. Their live shows are supposed to be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

I thought, maybe, there was a bit of irony in the waiting for U2 "joke". In general there was some hostility to U2 before they turned up.

Well Bono and Moz get on well. But I would suggest catching him on his current tour at some of the intimate venues. He is not a festival performer(only seals perform) ala Oldplay U2 RadioDead or Take That with their massive lightshow and giant robots etc. I have seen him live many times and will see him in Vicar Street in July on both nights and that is the type of venue to see him. As for his age, If I look and move that well at 52 I would be happy:)

Billy Clyro are so sh1t. How do people listen to that muck?

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    Billy Clyro are so sh1t. How do people listen to that muck?

I don't really like them either, but they seem to have quite a big fanbase.

Advertisement