Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Heckler wrote: »
    Can't stand them. From the image to the names. Bono, the edge, ffs. These guys are in their fifties. Bono looking like a poor imitation of Arnie with the leathers and the sunglasses. The mans ego is stratospheric. Literally with the space station stuff.

F+ck off U2.

And they haven't written a good song since the Joshua Tree.

While everybody is entitled to an opinion ,this my friend just proves that yours is worth nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's true Bono is totally up his own arse but I love watching his interviews and seeing what nonsense he comes out with. I actually think it's gas. The rhetorical ****e he
    comes out with in his performance every now and again too. So annoying but in an interesting way!

Larry Mullen on the other hand is just an obnoxious, complete dick.

But if they were all as sound and down to Earth as Edge or as quiet as Adam, they'd be way less interesting!

Didn't catch all the U2 performance but enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Not a fan of Biffy Clyro at all. I love the BBC3 Glastonbury coverage, this time last year I was pissed on the couch belting out Arcade Fire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I don't have a red button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

mal1 wrote: »
    I don't have a red button.

There there. That's good, son.

Share with the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Yahew wrote: »
    There there. That's good, son.

Share with the group.

Don't need one now. Fleet foxes!

cossy09 wrote: »
    Well Bono and Moz get on well. But I would suggest catching him on his current tour at some of the intimate venues. He is not a festival performer(only seals perform) ala Oldplay U2 RadioDead or Take That with their massive lightshow and giant robots etc. I have seen him live many times and will see him in Vicar Street in July on both nights and that is the type of venue to see him. As for his age, If I look and move that well at 52 I would be happy:)

Well i did say I liked him, his songs and his voice, but maybe he's not for the big stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Well i did say I liked him, his songs and his voice, but maybe he's not for the big stage.

Not playing second fiddle anyways.

Jimmy Cliff:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Who really gives a $hit what Bono and Co. do with their money. Do we bitch and moan that Ireland uses its tax code as an advantage to have Intel and Google here? Yet we bitch an moan when someone else does it? I can also assure you that they have paid more tax than 99% of Irish people everr will, yet we bitch and moan....
    Those idiots in Glastonberry are retards. "Rock and Roll, yea man lets protests U2's tax status!!" Knobs the lot of them. They probably don't even have jobs themselves!

Bill Gates used various tax loop holes for Microsoft's advantage yet he is giving away his 40+ billion dollar fortune to good causes.... ya lets piss and moan about that too!! Sure he is the anti-Christ! Some people cant stand success

Pissers and moaners are people I cant stand. What is it about Irish people who hate success?

There are a million more important things going on in the world than protesting someones tax status. Reminds me of...

father-ted-careful-now-001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Just seen the U2 Interview on BBC2 - Bono is really up his own bum but i suppose massive success, fame and fortune does that to a person.

Showing 'still haven't found what im looking for'... he made the crowd sing the first verse! reminds me of the lee mack joke about smug robbie williams..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMjb_7dc0YM

"Bono has emergency back surgery".

His head was removed from his own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Just seen the U2 Interview on BBC2 - Bono is really up his own bum but i suppose massive success, fame and fortune does that to a person.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    It's true Bono is totally up his own arse but I love watching his interviews and seeing what nonsense he comes out with. I actually think it's gas.

What i tought was gas was the way Jo Whiley cut him off at the end!!

That woman is like a fine wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

jank wrote: »
    Who really gives a $hit what Bono and Co. do with their money. Do we bitch and moan that Ireland uses its tax code as an advantage to have Intel and Google here? Yet we bitch an moan when someone else does it? I can also assure you that they have paid more tax than 99% of Irish people everr will, yet we bitch and moan....
    Those idiots in Glastonberry are retards. "Rock and Roll, yea man lets protests U2's tax status!!" Knobs the lot of them. They probably don't even have jobs themselves!

Bill Gates used various tax loop holes for Microsoft's advantage yet he is giving away his 40+ billion dollar fortune to good causes.... ya lets piss and moan about that too!! Sure he is the anti-Christ! Some people cant stand success

Pissers and moaners are people I cant stand. What is it about Irish people who hate success?

There are a million more important things going on in the world than protesting someones tax status. Reminds me of...

father-ted-careful-now-001.jpg

That my friends is the sound of the nail being well and truely hit on the head.

U2 are the most hated band I know, and I honestly dont know why. People don't like Bono, fair enough (Mick Jagger is a complete p***k but thats ok because he isn't Irish), but you cannot listen to their songs and tell me that they are not a good band.

If these lads were British or American a lot more of us Irish would like them. It seems to me that Irish people and Hipsters have a deep down hatred of them.

Someone earlier said Larry is an obnoxious d**k, how was that conclusion reached I'd love to know? From what I have heard about the man he seems pretty down to earth and generally liked.

People not liking a band because of the personalities in the group is perfectly fine, but that shouldn't deafen you from appreciating technique. I for example cant stand Paul McCartney but love the Beatles.

I thought U2 were excellent last night and I had hoped that maybe it would change opinions on them (much like the Boss last year), but it looks like I was wrong.

*and one last thing, people bringing up the tax issue are full of s**t because we all know they were hating them a long time before that came up

Too much talk about U2, here's where the magic's at

Actually U2 are still regarded outside the UK ( and Ireland) and rolling stone would have them as a top band historically, with many of their albums in the top 20.

In general they are loved and respected in South America and Europe an beyond. The UK, though, cant be dealing with uppity Irish men. In the telegraph piece on Bono a few days back there were lots of references to "mouthy bog trotters" - and that segues back into ireland where we read a lot of their press. Still I would say, if anything, that Rolling Stone are canonical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

mal1 wrote: »
    Billy Clyro are so sh1t. How do people listen to that muck?

I am a fan, and I think they have some great tracks. Very ambitious too. However, in the live setting, with just three of them on stage, it's asking them a bit much to replicate some of the stuff on their albums. That's their own fault entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

bbc interactive (red button) are showing coverage of today, the gaslight anthem is on now if anybodys interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

TT09 wrote: »
    bbc interactive (red button) are showing coverage of today, the gaslight anthem is on now if anybodys interested.

Yuk. Springsteen-lite. No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

am enjoying Coldplay so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Not a Coldplay fan but they really are good live,will try to catch them at Oxegen again.
    I wonder what U2 song they'll play!!!?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Just been watching Janelle Monae. Bloody hell what a performer! Wish I had been there to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Shít, Coldplay are fairly awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I missed Gaslight Anthem?

The only band I'd actually have an interest in sitting down and listening too...

AH the Chems.....where'd I leave me yokes!!!!
    Always great live

Flicking between the Chems and Coldplay,a strange combination I know!!

Was just thinking,whats the chances of Coldplay finishing off with 40....would seriously make up for U2 not playing it last night...............Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

That my friends is the sound of the nail being well and truely hit on the head.

U2 are the most hated band I know, and I honestly dont know why. .....you cannot listen to their songs and tell me that they are not a good band.
    that shouldn't deafen you from appreciating technique.

Tosh ...

The thing I hate most about U2 is the fact that you're not allowed to genuinely dislike them without being accused of begrudgery, or being a "hipster" (whatever the **** that is) or hearing "typical Irish - hating their own" crap.

News flash - there are people who think U2's music - all of it - is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The chemical brothers absolutely rockin thr **** out of it, thats what its all about. Even the bbc are getting all inventive on the visuals. Goes to 11!!!

edit ta fuck:

following that with Glas Vegas???
    kill yourself bbc

RayCon wrote: »
    Tosh ...

The thing I hate most about U2 is the fact that you're not allowed to genuinely dislike them without being accused of begrudgery, or being a "hipster" (whatever the **** that is) or hearing "typical Irish - hating their own" crap.

News flash - there are people who think U2's music - all of it - is boring.

Are these the people who write in RED on forums?

Best avoided.

Chemical Brothers are great. In these days of Radiohead type shoe gazers god love people who put it out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Best avoided.

U2 ? .. true.

Advertisement