Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

callaway92 wrote: »
    WHAT DID ZANE LOWE DO! :O

seek attention???

in a cool, underground manner of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Basically gave more than a hint to that he didn't think it was right that Beyonce was headlining. Probably the real reason as to why he didn't stick around to interview her.

I'd say she's devastated..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

ascanbe wrote: »
    I'd say she's devastated..
    She most probably doesn't even know he exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I dont mind that, but he could show a bit of enthusiasm when presenting. I like his radio show, but it even looked like Lauren Laverne was trying to get him to lighten up and be more excited at times.

I'd struggle to muster enthusiasm for Beyonce too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Chase and Status seemed like act of the weekend for me going by what BBC showed, apart from the head liners obviously.
    +1

If anyone's still worked up over the whole Beyoncé thing, chill out to some Maverick Sabre:

I <3 the BBC. They did a fantastic job of promptly uploading Glastonbury footage from all over the festival.

Did anyone see the segment on Block 9? That place looked awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

People's lack of open-mindedness regarding other types on music at festivals is shocking. The beauty of a festival is that if you don't enjoy a particular artist's music, you don't have to listen. You can go ahead and go to a different stage or tent. Beyonce is a great performer and probably the most formidable woman in pop music right now. Jay-Z is pretty much a legend of hip hop. They both have full bands backing them too (Jay-Z's band are pretty incredible actually and I'd bet they could blow the majority of those boring guitar bands offstage any day). Wu-Tang played Glastonbury too, and Tyler The Creator, nobody seems to complain about that. There's something for every music fan, and there's room for everyone at a festival. You don't have to cut people down just because they happen to have different tastes to you. I think pop music has a place at festivals - Janelle Monae played this year and she's pop (and did a great set), as did Cee-Lo Green and people like Adele (who isn't playing, but has in the past).

To be honest, I really think that the people who slam a certain type of music that they don't really know anything about know less about music than the people they're giving out about. It's just 'cool' to complain about pop music and say that anyone who doesn't like exclusively guitar music is 'retarded'. Sorry, but there's good music everywhere, in every genre, and just because you don't like 'mainstream' music and only listen to those who deal in guitars doesn't automatically make you an authority on all things musical. There's plenty of talented people out there, and they all have places at music festivals. I, for one, am glad to see more hip-hop and pop acts at festivals. It shakes things up and gives the whole thing more variety. If people remain narrow-minded about every type of music except rock and indie, the whole thing is just going to become boring as fck.

It's all music, and there's something for everyone. Get over it. If you don't like it, just suck it up. Times are changing. If you don't like certain music, no one says you have to listen, just don't make other people feel bad about liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

U2, musically flat, lifeless performance. Only rabid fans could enjoy that. Off they go!

most ridiculous comment i have ever witnessed so far on boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

personally i have no interest whatsoever in Jay Z.
    But i was at Glastonbury and he was headlining the main stage and i thought you know lets go and see what all the fuss is about. Im never gonna go to a gig of his so why not.

Have to say it was a brilliant entrance,mocking Oasis,that musta taken some balls. I watched for about 30mins and it was ok then i got bored.

Last year Blur headlined, i went to see the Flaming Lips. THis year i wouldve gone to Qotsa. As mentioned before its ridiculous to say they shouldve headlined the pyramid stage,they just arent that big a draw globally.

Glastonbury isnt about having the big rock band headliners,its about having the biggest entertainers across the board. If youre there, theres about 5 or 6 big names headlining different stage types each night and all you see on tv is the main act on the pyramid stage and a few songs from the Other stage. its impossible to cover them all.

Beyonce was an interesting choice, i managed to catch little bits of it but hey,at least she didnt just lip synch and have 20 costume changes.

anyway, if you wanna choose who you wanna see, you gotta go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Beyonce was the 1st female headliner on the pyramid stage apparently. Looking at the glasto wiki page, it says both suzanne vega and sinead o connor headlined (didn't say if it was the pyramid though).

Does anyone know what the truth is. Jo Whiley said she was the 1st for 25 years or so, and someone else said she was the 1st solo female artist, so possibly a band with a female lead singer headlined the pyramid before?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its not a ROCK festival.. its a MUSIC festival

all sorts for all types

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Found a great tweet from Zane Lowe back in Feb

Beyonce at Glastonbury is a MAJOR win. Don't doubt it. She is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I watched all three evenings, between all acts on the various BBCs and streams.

For me the stand out performance was Janelle Monae and her band. Just brilliant stuff. And I'm not an R&B fan at all but I appreciated the performance nonetheless. And the first thing I googled this morning was to see if there were tickets left for her Dublin gig this week.

I enjoyed U2s set as well, great to have them belt out the old classics. The OH is a huge U2 fan but even he has his limits with Bono and his ranting at times.

Coldplay were a bit meh, decent enough music but I get very uneasy watching Chris Martin riding that piano stool for all it's worth.

Most disappointing was Paul Simon, love his back catalogue but he was lost on the stage imo.

Beyonce looked like she didn't belong in Glastonbury, that doesn't detract from the fact that musically she can put on a good show. She wouldn't be my cup of tea, particularly her american drawwwl - "cmon y'awwwwll" but at least she can belt out the tunes. Some of the posts on this thread that "really really wish she was dead" etc are OTT, turn the channel if it bothers you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Battles were my fav of what BBC showed. John Stanier is an amazing drummer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

here's that zane lowe thing from last night, doesn't seem that big of a deal really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jaysus, she talked some amount of crap didn't she.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Destiny's Child songs >>>>>>>>>>> Beyonce solo stuff

Crazy in Love, Single Ladies & Rule The World (Girls) are good pop songs, catchy enough.
    But she done snippets of about 5 or 6 Destiny's Child songs all of which were better than the rest of her solo stuff imo.

For those that don't know, she got Switch of Major Lazer to produce Rule The World & sampled their song.
    They did a good job of it I think.

The video (which is a bit NSFW) is on youtube but can't be embedded. It's fairly funny & worth a watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nmgcVbfKE

This one below is audio only.

Was Tricky a bit tired and emotional there?
    He didnt last very long on stage.

What was he even there for? I thought his mic was broken or something.
    She's headlining to sell tickets to morons. Nothing to do with musical talent.

I'm not sure if they were trying to specifically target morons. You didn't buy a ticket did you?
    And I think they would of sold out whether she was playing or not.
    BBC's coverage is awful.

No it's not.
    ....Janelle Monae played this year and she's pop (and did a great set)....

I'm not really in to placing people in genres. It's hard with her because so many of her songs sound different. Calling her pop, I think would associate her with people like Beyonce & Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry etc...... She's more diverse than that.

The rest of your post was spot on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Lauren Laverne and Zane Lowe . . . what can I say?

Ok, Laverene, nice looking girl, unfortunately she speaks and acts 'kooky' which takes away from her nice appearence (see the 11 o clock show on C4 for more).

Zane, Zane, Zane. This guy is like a real life version of Jack Black's character in High Fidelity ("don't tell anyone you dont own Blonde on Blonde, that perverse"). I seem to recall him suggesting that U2 are somehow a guilty pleasure on friday night, yet when he was doing a countdown of U2's top twenty songs on mtv he was running out of deadpan superlatives.

I dont like him for one reason, he has NO credibility. Its all well and good for him to sneakily complain about Beyonce, yet when he's sitting in front of Liam Gallagher he licks his ass. In other words, he's a whore who will play you're tune if you give him something in return.

Overall I thought it was a poor Glastonbury. Didn't see any of Sunday but I wasn't impressed with the line up (obvious exception The Eels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I watched all three evenings, between all acts on the various BBCs and streams.

For me the stand out performance was Janelle Monae and her band. Just brilliant stuff. And I'm not an R&B fan at all but I appreciated the performance nonetheless. And the first thing I googled this morning was to see if there were tickets left for her Dublin gig this week.

Same as that. I thought it was an amazing performance and I'm very surprised today to get tickets for that gig.

I seem to recall him suggesting that U2 are somehow a guilty pleasure on friday night, yet when he was doing a countdown of U2's top twenty songs on mtv he was running out of deadpan superlatives.

I think what he was saying was that they are such a great band & have been a huge success for years it was funny how many people were slagging them off.
    Those that were looking forward to seeing them were a bit embarrassed & it was like they had become a guilty pleasure for some people.

• Advertisement

Same as that. I thought it was an amazing performance and I'm very surprised today to get tickets for that gig.

There's a thread over on Alt/Indie about underrated artists.
    I posted in that about how I couldn't believe she wasn't more popular. I thought her shows would of sold old ages ago even before that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

QOTSA were excellent.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

H8GHOTI wrote: »

I'm not really in to placing people in genres. It's hard with her because so many of her songs sound different. Calling her pop, I think would associate her with people like Beyonce & Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry etc...... She's more diverse than that.

The rest of your post was spot on though.

I think she is way more diverse than most pop acts out there, but she is part of the 'popular' music sphere. She is by far one of the best people out there though. She blows Gaga, Perry, Black Eyed Peas and Beyonce out of the water. Her music is pop music the way it should be done - original, energetic, and just downright brilliant. Pop music has gotten a bad rap recently, but I really think that Janelle Monae is a great example of what it can be when it's done by someone with an enormous amount of talent and enthusiasm like she does, and she clearly does it because she loves it. She's not a mere product, but a proper musician. Pop music can be the best music out there when it's done by the right people because there's so much room for variety, and I think Janelle is the right person for it. It's hard to believe how far she's come. The first I heard of her was on a collaboration with Outkast, and I thought she did a great job, but I didn't expect to see her breaking out in such a huge way like she has, but I think she's up there now with Outkast as a solo artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

i got the impression that someone was telling him to cut to video tape. and she was winding him up by using all the allotted time. and when she asked him "What do you think" he laughed because he couldnt really say anything. she made "evils" at the camera too.

me and the missus were wondering why do the bbc have so many horrible djs. they seem really bitchy. well the 2 blondes really. zanes not the worst.

I think she is way more diverse than most pop acts out there, but she is part of the 'popular' music sphere. She is by far one of the best people out there though. She blows Gaga, Perry, Black Eyed Peas and Beyonce out of the water. Her music is pop music the way it should be done - original, energetic, and just downright brilliant. Pop music has gotten a bad rap recently, but I really think that Janelle Monae is a great example of what it can be when it's done by someone with an enormous amount of talent and enthusiasm like she does, and she clearly does it because she loves it. She's not a mere product, but a proper musician. Pop music can be the best music out there when it's done by the right people because there's so much room for variety, and I think Janelle is the right person for it. It's hard to believe how far she's come. The first I heard of her was on a collaboration with Outkast, and I thought she did a great job, but I didn't expect to see her breaking out in such a huge way like she has, but I think she's up there now with Outkast as a solo artist.

First time I saw or heard of her was on Jools Holland. She's the type of artist that the music and the performance are of equal importance and the result is you can't take your eyes off the tv while bobbing your head along to the music because they're both that good.

She deserves to get more recognition, she's got more talent than Beyonce and Gaga put together.

emo72 wrote: »
    i got the impression that someone was telling him to cut to video tape. and she was winding him up by using all the allotted time. and when she asked him "What do you think" he laughed because he couldnt really say anything. she made "evils" at the camera too.

me and the missus were wondering why do the bbc have so many horrible djs. they seem really bitchy. well the 2 blondes really. zanes not the worst.

I didn't mind Jo Whiley and Mark Radcliffe so much, Zane just loves his own opinion but Lauren Laverne was very annoying. Every link she had she mentioned Kool and the Gang, almost like she was sponsored by them.

Fearne and Reggie just remind me of Top of the Pops blandness, they could be introducing Justin Beiber and be just as enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I had a poor opinion of Zane Lowe before this weekend. However he had the balls to curb against the blatant sucking up towards Beyonce. Why should someone who's paid to critic music, to constantly work around it not be allowed to say who and what he likes.

Saying that, HE's allowed because he's paid...we're not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Have to say janelle monae was the best performance of the weekend by far that come alive track blew me away watching it.I saw her at ep last year and she was great.If i was in Dublin tonight and could get a ticket id be there without doubt..I reckon she's going to be huge hope she comes back to ep some year to headline one of the nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just watched U2 there, I thought they did a cracking set.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why do people insist on bring flags to these things. It ruins it for the majority in the crowd. The Download festival rightfully have banned them, hopefully more festival follow.

How are you meant to find your way back through a crowd after going for a piss otherwise?

I agree that they can get in the way of the TV coverage on the big screens a bit, but most of what they show the flags are not in the way. They do use a different video stream for the TV coverage than what they show those of us actually there so maybe they are giving you guys at home more flag shots than us so your not missing out on them. :D
    skelliser wrote: »
    thats all well and good but you dont see the founders or CEO's of Google going around, at every possible opportunity, mouthing off about various countries fiscal policies in relation to aid to developing countries whilst on the other hand trying to pay as little tax as possible.

Hypocrites.

Out of interest, do you deliberately pay the government more tax than they ask you to pay just because they happen to be struggling to make ends meet at the moment?

Thought not.

Hypocrite.
    ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Beyonce is class!
    Hope the prerecorded CD dont skip!

Bouncy was actually good fun to watch. Didn't know any of her tunes, but there was a few cover versions thrown in, was strange seeing/ hearing a couple of songs that zero blokes had heard before but all the wimins were singing along to.

As for the pre-recorded CD comment, that would bring me onto...
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Holy fook - Chemical Brothers looked unreal!

Love the Chemicals music, but I really should have learnt by now that going to see them and chilling out towards the back without already being loaded up on pills is not worth the bother as it's just a CD and light show that they do.
    promethius wrote: »
    it's meant to be a rock festival is it?
    It was never a "rock" festival.
    donfers wrote: »
    a lot of great bands still play the festival but pop acts are now headlining and there is no doubt the festival has lost a lot of credibility in recent years

Pilton Pop Folk & Blues Festival

Advertisement