Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Have to say janelle monae was the best performance of the weekend by far that come alive track blew me away watching it.I saw her at ep last year and she was great.If i was in Dublin tonight and could get a ticket id be there without doubt..I reckon she's going to be huge hope she comes back to ep some year to headline one of the nights.

You know it's Wednesday she's playing Dublin?
    robinph wrote: »

Love the Chemicals music, but I really should have learnt by now that going to see them and chilling out towards the back without already being loaded up on pills is not worth the bother as it's just a CD and light show that they do.

Is their live show really that bad?
    I caught a glimpse & the visuals looked great but I purposely avoided watching it because I'm going to catch them at Electric Picnic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    =Is their live show really that bad?
    I caught a glimpse & the visuals looked great but I purposely avoided watching it because I'm going to catch them at Electric Picnic.

No. But on my fifth night in a field I wasn't feeling up to getting down the front and getting messy (in multiple senses of the word). The size of the Glastonbury stages is huge though, so for the likes of Chemicals who are just a lot of flashing lights on the screens it's not that great if your too far away to actually see the stage. All you get is a bunch of pre-recorded videos and flashing lights from any distance back so no proof that there is actually anyone on stage at all.

If you want to get up front it would be awesome, if your seeing them on the smaller stages of the likes of EP then your never going to be that far away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just got back a few hours ago. Twas my fifth Glastonbury and probably the best so far! Rain was horrible when setting up the tent on Wednesday morning but it stopped quick enough around lunch. Pennards was packed when we arrived at 10am, couldnt believe it but the last time I was at Glastonbury was before they opened the car parks on Tuesday night. We ended up getting a much better spot in Park Home which had a great view of the other stage.

I decided to go experience a lot of all the other stuff Glastonbury has to offer for the first half of Friday. Absolutely delighted with that decsion, got to see circus, cabaret, poetry, comedy and loads of other weird and wonderful things. After that it was music for the rest of the weekend.

Fleet Foxes: Caught the first 20 mins and they were pretty good
    Morrisey: It was ridiculously quiet because nearly the entire festival had gone up to Radiohead. Morrisey was brilliant as always but he only played for an hour. It filled right back up towards the end though when a lot of people left Radiohead early.
    U2: Highlight of the weekend for me. I'm not a U2 fanboy by any means but we got a great spot and the atmosphere was amazing!
    The Gaslight Anthem: Didnt know anything about them before this weekend so I was pleasantly suprised with it. Will definitely be looking into more of them.
    DJ Yoda: Billed incorrectly for 5pm and instead of 6 which was quite annoying. Only caught the first half hour but he was brilliant, would love to go see him properly next he plays Dublin.
    Paulo Nutini: I'm fairly indifferent but he seemed fine?
    Elbow: Most people I went had this as their highlight of the weekend. It was indeed something special. Guy Harvey is just so good with the crowd and the finale of One Day Like This was pretty epic.
    Flogging Molly: Mad Irish themed punk. Bit samey but a good laugh all the same.
    Laura Marling: Not my cup of tea but seemed everyone else seemed to enjoy it.
    Paul Simon: Didnt play for too long but brought out all the crowd pleasers including my namesake :)
    Plan B: Interesting mix of styles but again not really my cup of tea
    Pendulum: Can't believe I've never heard of these guys, must be getting old. Got the crowd going amazingly, gonna look into them now.
    Beyoncé: Nice way to finish the weekend, she seemed genuinely happy to be there and put on a superb show. The whole tricky cameo was rather confusing though.

All in all very happy with it this year with the exception of the new quiuing system for the late night area. I suppose some control has to be put in place but it basically means if you want to go there any night except Wednesday expect to have a couple of hours wasted standing in a queue. Instead we wpent most nights up in the Park or the Stone circle and I was happy enough with that.

On a side note did anyone find a venue called the 'Bridgewater Reggae Soundsystem', wanted to go see Castle Lean Ceilidh Band on Thursday evening but nobody could tell us where the venue was? We asked the info tent, security guards, stewards and they all just kept telling us it was near the circus tent somewhere but then when we asked around there they all said it definitely wasnt near there, bizarre???

tldr: This Glasto had it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It was absolutely incredible. Great to see Dean Fertita in the lineup. He's the keyboard player. He used to tour with Brendan Benson and also has his own band called Hello=Fire, who are great as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Flags at Glasto are the equivalent of GAA shirts on in Spain or Sydney etc...
    They should ban them!! :):)
    Look at my flag. Guess where I'm from!!!

Shame the BBC only showed the bands one would see and hear any other day of the week on tv and radio, though I enjoyed Coldplay..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

seachto7 wrote: »
    Shame the BBC only showed the bands one would see and hear any other day of the week on tv and radio
    I know not everyone has access to it, but the red button provided the choice of 5 different stages at any one time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pendulum and flogging molly were amazing, pity the rain closed few areas early on the friday however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It was absolutely incredible. Great to see Dean Fertita in the lineup. He's the keyboard player. He used to tour with Brendan Benson and also has his own band called Hello=Fire, who are great as well

Also Raconteurs and Dead Weather.. hes a fantastic addition to any band.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

got back this morning, missed my damn ferry yesterday evening!

anyway cant remember most of what i saw i'd say:

Fri

Metronomy - good but dont know any of their stuff
    Two Door Cinema Club - put on a good set, seemed to connect with the crowd who knew their couple of big songs
    The Vaccines - very meh imo
    The Wombats - better than the vaccines but not a stand out set
    Radiohead - why would they play glasto and not be on the pyramid? to try out new stuff it would seem - fair enough imo but people were pi$$ed off!
    U2 - having seen U2 a lot (4 360 shows) this was my least favourite performance, sounds wasnt great where i was but they played to the crowd and i thought they won over some of the doubters but consistently heard people whinging and moaning about them (go see something else if you dont want to be here)

Sat

Fight Like Apes - little shakey at the start, felt they really won over the crowd by the end (especially asking to be booed!!), over their mental antics.
    The Gaslight Anthem - Bruce Jr is what it is but I like it and so do the Glasto crowd it would seem.
    Rumer - ehhhhh was just too lazy to go anywhere unlike most people at the Pyramid who disappeared!
    Tinie Tempah - i know a couple of his songs and he isnt really my thing but wow did he get the crowd going, it was amazing stuff! He seemed so chuffed to be there
    Jimmy Eat World - very good set, got the crowd jumping on the other stage
    Pulp - very good, typical Pulp i suppose!
    White Lies - just caught the end but they seemed very well received, could here them from all the way up in pennard hill
    Chemical Brothers - never been to see the bros but holy crap it was awesome, from the crazy light show they had going to the crowd going wild for block rocking beats

Sun

Paul Simon - went down how you'd expect paul simon to go down on a sunny sunday afternoon - You Can Call Me Al was a quality way to finish out the set
    Eels - dont know much of their stuff but i shall be exploring more, very eclectic set
    Queens of the Stonge Age - Amazing, top notch set full of crowd pleasers and they seemed on top form! Homme was constantly interacting with the 'Glastonberry' crowd. Was absolutely jammed but very worth it

great 5 days spent on Worthy Farm (except for the most mental walk to Shangri La ever - took about an hour from the old entrance and then walking through the crazy mud tunnels - wellies everywhere). still cant wait till 2013!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Flags at Glasto are the equivalent of GAA shirts on in Spain or Sydney etc...
    They should ban them!! :):)
    Look at my flag. Guess where I'm from!!!

Shame the BBC only showed the bands one would see and hear any other day of the week on tv and radio, though I enjoyed Coldplay..

i have no problem with the flags - seems to be only TV watchers that dont like them (especially considering they did a vote and ticket holders voted to keep them). they are invaluable for navigating around the busy stages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

i have no problem with the flags - seems to be only TV watchers that dont like them (especially considering they did a vote and ticket holders voted to keep them). they are invaluable for navigating around the busy stages.

Just watched the first bit of some coverage last night before finally collapsing asleep infront of the telly. There are way more flags shown on the TV footage, you can see on some of the TV shots that the big screens are showing a close up face shot of the band. That is basically all the screens by the stage show and the very occasional close up of the crowd. What the TV coverage is showing is the overall atmosphere of the crowd, so you get to see more crowd and flags.

They are not a problem, and the people that are actually there need them to navigate about. Ever tried to find your way through 100,000+ drunk people to find your mates? After Beyonce had finished and the field was mostly empty, my mate had to phone me up to find where we had been standing for the afternoon. He still couldn't see me from less than 20 meters away and not very many people in between, all because the flags had moved or disappeared by then. Did make for people laughing at him as I directed him where to go though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I usually hit 7 or 8 festivals a year, uk and ireland only, and man i have never been to a glasto, makes me wonder why oxegen and ep attract the sort they do, i've come to the conclusion uk festivals are better...not sololy due to management but actual punters, the oxegen crowd just dont give a f***

robinph wrote: »
    Just watched the first bit of some coverage last night before finally collapsing asleep infront of the telly. There are way more flags shown on the TV footage, you can see on some of the TV shots that the big screens are showing a close up face shot of the band. That is basically all the screens by the stage show and the very occasional close up of the crowd. What the TV coverage is showing is the overall atmosphere of the crowd, so you get to see more crowd and flags.

They are not a problem, and the people that are actually there need them to navigate about. Ever tried to find your way through 100,000+ drunk people to find your mates? After Beyonce had finished and the field was mostly empty, my mate had to phone me up to find where we had been standing for the afternoon. He still couldn't see me from less than 20 meters away and not very many people in between, all because the flags had moved or disappeared by then. Did make for people laughing at him as I directed him where to go though.

i think the flags at the back of the fields like at the Other Stage make it look like there are more flags when looking out from the stage, that could be it i suppose.

anyway i love the flags it's great trying to spot the ones from the previous year! did anyone notice the I <3shoker unicorn - wtf does that mean?

I usually hit 7 or 8 festivals a year, uk and ireland only, and man i have never been to a glasto, makes me wonder why oxegen and ep attract the sort they do, i've come to the conclusion uk festivals are better...not sololy due to management but actual punters, the oxegen crowd just dont give a f***

the fact that there is no separation of the camp site and he stages is what i love about glasto. also the anything but glass rule for the site is amazing. i was thinking about EP but not with the segregated camp site tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

It is remarkable that a whole city of people can get together for 5 days and there would be little or no criminality, relative to a normal city that size. The £200 entrance fee might help, though. If you are going to steal, you have to do better than £200.

Yahew wrote: »
    It is remarkable that a whole city of people can get together for 5 days and there would be little or no criminality, relative to a normal city that size. The £200 entrance fee might help, though. If you are going to steal, you have to do better than £200.

why steal though? when you can show up with NOS, cigarettes and other illegalities and make a bloody fortune and nobody will say boo to you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Yes :-)

Well selling is not stealing, even if what you sell is black market.

even the toilets and such are respected better imo, oxegen has gone down hill for a long time, and ep over last 2 years, the line ups are part of the problem i suppose, but the campsites are pure hell, i wouldnt wish a ticket to either to my greatest enemy, glasto/download/latitude/big chill/leeds/reading/sonisphere , they all are a serious step up it quality. i look at the oxegen thread and all the 18yr olds with high hopes and excitement, its a sh1tstorm at the best of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richardtauber

Anyone know what happened with Andrew Maxwell on Sat Night / Sun morning 01.30?

He was brilliant last two years so off we toddled to see him but he was a "no-show".

Or need I ask?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richardtauber

Also, Robinph couldn't agree with you more re Glasto not being a "Rawk" festival.

While it is definitely a vital part, the festival is really about so much more.

We generally see about 3 or 4 acts a day/night.

Rest of time is spent accosting strangers and regaling them with our theories on light, space and time. srl.

Without wanting to give my age away, it's about "the vibe" man!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

anyway i love the flags it's great trying to spot the ones from the previous year! did anyone notice the I <3shoker unicorn - wtf does that mean?

I was trying to figure that one out.There was another near it that said "Ron Did you finger that unicorn" or something like that.
    Couldnt have been happier with that week really :D
    Loved the integrated campsite, absolutely zero aggro around, 1st Glasto & ill be back in 2013 without a doubt.
    Now to get my legs used to not standing for 18/19 hours of the day again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Got back yesterday. Incredible festival. And to settle the debate, it's not a rock festival, or even a music festival. It's, and I quote a "festival of contemporary performing arts".

Beyond the music stages, there are cabaret, circus, art installations, nightclubs, workshops and hundreds of weird and wonderful things to explore.

The headliners are but a tiny fraction of the overall Glastonbury experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blisterman wrote: »
    Got back yesterday. Incredible festival. And to settle the debate, it's not a rock festival, or even a music festival. It's, and I quote a "festival of contemporary performing arts".

Beyond the music stages, there are cabaret, circus, art installations, nightclubs, workshops and hundreds of weird and wonderful things to explore.

The headliners are but a tiny fraction of the overall Glastonbury experience.

True.I ended up at what I can only describe as an interpretive dance act about 3 suitcases at one stage. The place is absolutely bananas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Didn't get so see much as I was there for one day and walking for long distance in the mud just took it out of me. I stayed in the John Peel vicinity all day, just as well as it had the best lineup and it's a handy walk from there to the main stage. I saw Dry The River, Warpaint, The Horrors, Battles, Elbow.

Really enjoyed Battles, glad I made up for missing them at Forbidden Fruit, good thing I gave the new album a lot of listens as I knew that's all they'd be playing. I also got to meet Ian Williams for a second time, I think I just annoyed him though.

The Horrors were another favou, saw them as last year's picnic but left as the sound was awful, the glasto show made up for it.

I was going to go see Graham Coxon followed by the Walkmen but walked in the direction of the Park stage for about 40 minutes against a sea of people leaving the other stage, then I checked my map and realised I wasn't even halfway to the stage I wanted to be at, my mates with me were sick of walking so we headed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

3rd time, back since 07 and it was amazing as always. I loved that Shangri La place as I wasn't expecting to walk into a blade runner type set and didn't have the queue apart from once for 10mins.

Going to need a few days to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

i dono some people reckon they should give it all up, but everytime i see them, they rock the **** outa me!!

everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The Chin wrote: »
    True.I ended up at what I can only describe as an interpretive dance act about 3 suitcases at one stage. The place is absolutely bananas :pac:

Haha, I saw that as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Firstly, Zane Lowe knows more about music than 99.9999999999% of the of the fukcwits that own a twitter account.....

Here's his 3 hour Glasto Special.

Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0123wyp/Zane_Lowe_Glastonbury_Special/

Advertisement