Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

A zane lane fan!!

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Still not a bad show, that.

If I ever trend on twitter worldwide, and getting a bad rep. I will just start posting pictures of bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blisterman wrote: »
    Haha, I saw that as well!
    At least I know im not gone mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

within reason. I've only been twice. The first time was 2008 and, apart from some f*cking tw@t with a HUGE american flag, they looked cool and didn't get in the way too much. This year the flags were a decent size (I think they have a max allowable size since the ustwat). I'm pretty short and myself and my mates normally would be in the rear half of the crowds so I rely on the screens as much, if not more, than the stage and my view wasn't impeded much. I think they give it a good feel that makes Glasto so special to watch, especially on TV. The fact that you can go to a concert, sit down with half a dozen lawn candles, have a beer and wave your flag and chill is what makes it so special to me anyway.
    5884438588_8571cd8fd5_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

It was my first Glasto this year and it really is head and shoulders above any other festival I've ever attended, including the likes of EP, Exit, Sonar and Bloc. Watching it on tv doesn't do it justice as the music on the main stages is generally quite safe and commercial whereas the real magic of the festival is to be found in places like the Green Fields, the Park and the late night areas. The most remarkable thing, apart from the size and the variety of things to do, is the respect with which people treat each other, something that really makes it stand out from Irish festivals.

Highlights:

Pulp
    Beyonce
    Chems
    Robyn
    Tinie Tempah
    BB King
    Wu Tang Clan
    Optimo
    Jackmaster and Joy Orbison closing out the Stonebridge on Sunday night.
    The madness of the White Rabbit.
    The underground bar run by a crowd of mad Irish guys
    The club built into the fuselage of an aeroplane in Shangri La
    Bez's Acid House
    Campo Pequeno
    The wall of death
    The Prince impersonator who seeemed to be playing a full Prince concert on the Sunday night in Shangri La.

Lowlights:

The queues early Wednesday morning when we arrived
    The toilets
    The mud
    Radiohead
    Having to leave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sandwell wrote: »
    The Prince impersonator who seeemed to be playing a full Prince concert on the Sunday night in Shangri La.

Was that the one with Guinness and a picture of Bono on the wall and little stage playing U2 songs high pitched? That was great craic, I remember that Prince DJ and screaming purple rain and doves cry. Loved it!

RasTa wrote: »
    Was that the one with Guinness and a picture of Bono on the wall and little stage playing U2 songs high pitched? That was great craic, I remember that Prince DJ and screaming purple rain and doves cry. Loved it!

We'd been hearing rumours all day Sunday that Prince was to make a special guest appearance which made it all the funnier. I'd forgotten about the mini-U2 gig, that was inside one of the side rooms in Shangri La, wasn't it? Surreal.

Aye, we spent 3 nights up there without having to queue bar 10mins one night. It really is the king of festivals imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Streets set that was broadcast, seems like a great laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Aye, we spent 3 nights up there without having to queue bar 10mins one night. It really is the king of festivals imo

you obviously werent there on the thursday then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Sandwell wrote: »
    Lowlights:

The queues early Wednesday morning when we arrived
    The toilets
    The mud
    Radiohead
    Having to leave

How dare you :D Just kidding, I'm just curious to know what you didn't like about Radiohead's performance. I'd love to know what others thought. I wasn't there obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Yahew wrote: »
    It is remarkable that a whole city of people can get together for 5 days and there would be little or no criminality, relative to a normal city that size. The £200 entrance fee might help, though. If you are going to steal, you have to do better than £200.

I am sure the security is rock solid at glasto, so everyone there has paid for a ticket. They had to increase security as a few years back there were thousands getting in for free.

The picnics security is a joke, there were so many stories of scumbags climbing under/over fences to get in for nowt and then steal away. Probably same in Oxegen, why would you go to a music festival to steal? Scum of the earth those people.

How dare you :D Just kidding, I'm just curious to know what you didn't like about Radiohead's performance. I'd love to know what others thought. I wasn't there obviously.

The main problems were out of their control to be fair, the weak sound, the overcrowding and the relentless rain! However, in those circumstances they might have been better off mixing it up with some more familiar stuff. I like Radiohead a lot and I'm a big fan of much of their back catalogue but here they focused very heavily on the new album and In Rainbows. I think the only song that wasn't off either of those albums was 'Street Spirit' which was played as an encore. I wouldn't expect them to bang out anthem after anthem as they've never been that kind of band, I just felt they could have made some concession to the time and the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yep, and bear in mind that many people, myself included had no idea of who the secret act was until the moment they walked on stage. Rumours I heard included Rage against the Machine, Kings of Leon and Prince. So they were'nt necessarily playing to hardcore fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its funny you read posts before going to Glasto about how its so much more than the music etc but I don't think you can ever really appreciate what this means till you've experienced it for yourself. The size of the site is initially very overwhelming with the amount of stages and other stuff. We just wandered for the early days finishing at stone circle overlooking the whole site which gives a stunning view of everything.

Even when the mud was at its worst I never bumped into anyone who wasn't in good form and just getting on with things. Didn't see one bit of trouble all weekend.

Have to mention the food at other festivals doesn't even come close to comparing to the stuff Glasto offers up. The sheer range of choice is incredible and I can't ever remember eating so well for five days in a row.

I won't go much into the music as others have covered it in detail. Seen loads, most of which I really enjoyed with some highlights being TVOTR, Janelle Monáe, Anna Calvi and Elbow.

The late night areas are like a festival within a festival and nothing like I have ever experienced. Shangri La the Blade Runner inspired world is something to behold, the first time I entered I looked around in disbelief at endless amounts of weird and wonderful sights wandering up corridors with a computer voice ordering you to the contamination zone. Random rooms and bars each with its own mad theme. It really was like a small post apocalyptic town. Next door in another zone the unfairground was home to stuff like a crashed airplane that doubled as a bar. Block 9 had a full five story building with a car in the side half way up. That's only a tiny taste of the late night areas which are a completely unique jaw dropping experience.

Pretty depressed that its not on next year and I only hope I will be able to get my hands on tickets again in 2013.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

opr wrote: »
    Its funny you read posts before going to Glasto about how its so much more than the music etc but I don't think you can ever really appreciate what this means till you've experienced it for yourself. The size of the site is initially very overwhelming with the amount of stages and other stuff. We just wandered for the early days finishing at stone circle overlooking the whole site which gives a stunning view of everything.

Even when the mud was at its worst I never bumped into anyone who wasn't in good form and just getting on with things. Didn't see one bit of trouble all weekend.

Have to mention the food at other festivals doesn't even come close to comparing to the stuff Glasto offers up. The sheer range of choice is incredible and I can't ever remember eating so well for five days in a row.

I won't go much into the music as others have covered it in detail. Seen loads, most of which I really enjoyed with some highlights being TVOTR, Janelle Monáe, Anna Calvi and Elbow.

The late night areas are like a festival within a festival and nothing like I have ever experienced. Shangri La the Blade Runner inspired world is something to behold, the first time I entered I looked around in disbelief at endless amounts of weird and wonderful sights wandering up corridors with a computer voice ordering you to the contamination zone. Random rooms and bars each with its own mad theme. It really was like a small post apocalyptic town. Next door in another zone the unfairground was home to stuff like a crashed airplane that doubled as a bar. Block 9 had a full five story building with a car in the side half way up. That's only a tiny taste of the late night areas which are a completely unique jaw dropping experience.

Pretty depressed that its not on next year and I only hope I will be able to get my hands on tickets again in 2013.

Opr

Yeah I always heard it was great but never really believed the hype. Thanks for your post you've convinced me to make the journey in 2013.

you obviously werent there on the thursday then?

Aye that was the first time we went up and was greeted with the mini queue for 10mins. No problems on Saturday and Sunday.

Which one of ye was this http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0701/1224299848677.html?via=mr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Aye that was the first time we went up and was greeted with the mini queue for 10mins. No problems on Saturday and Sunday.

Which one of ye was this http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0701/1224299848677.html?via=mr

this guy:
    twitter.com/leoie

we went up thursday, the walk was a killer but going through the tunnel in shangri la took it out of us (people falling, wellies being lost) and then everywhere was packed and couldnt find beer easily - so we didnt go back again...

It was sunny all day Thursday, fine when I was up there but it was about 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

We talked the ladies into leaving Beyonce early to head up as we couldnt be bothered with the quese after coldplay on Sat. I would have kicked myself to have missed to whole experience of Shangri La, Arcadia etc. Its kinda impossibe but funny this week trying to describe the experience in that area to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bennyc wrote: »
    We talked the ladies into leaving Beyonce early to head up as we couldnt be bothered with the quese after coldplay on Sat. I would have kicked myself to have missed to whole experience of Shangri La, Arcadia etc. Its kinda impossibe but funny this week trying to describe the experience in that area to people.
    Ive been getting the same :D
    Me: "Well I went through this fairground with a bar that was part plane before going into a blade runner set with some indian lad in a gold jacket playing prince music.Walked into a karaoke bar hosted by super mario next door to a bar with girls in cages and some lad dressed like pinhead."
    Them: "........O_o!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The Chin wrote: »
    Ive been getting the same :D
    Me: "Well I went through this fairground with a bar that was part plane before going into a blade runner set with some indian lad in a gold jacket playing prince music.Walked into a karaoke bar hosted by super mario next door to a bar with girls in cages and some lad dressed like pinhead."
    Them: "........O_o!"

Must say super mario karaoke and u2 bar was side splitting stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thought this was cool a few others might enjoy it.

Glastonbury Daze 2011 a film by David Pardoe a Southampton Solent University Student working at Glastonbury 2011 for Glastonbury TV.

http://vimeo.com/26723723

Opr

Advertisement