Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Me...... 3 Hours Trying - Nothing
    Girlfriend....... 3 Minute Trying - 4 Tickets

Result - Glastonbury here we come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

sister got 2. ( i got nowhere) wow.. what a feeling.

keep trying if you still havcen't got any yet.

i'm queuing to see if i get in myself

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KetzerF

Keep trying! I got in the queue not so long ago and have just got 2 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just tried to get into seetickets on me PC and it said they're sold out.

Cant believe after 4 and a half hours I didn't get one

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ilovegalway

This is awful in queue all morning and nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

it's all gone baby gone!

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ilovegalway

There is always April/ May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Really sounds like certain ISPs had problems getting through. Especially as some people needed to use Opera turbo to even get the page (it is just a proxy server run by Opera). I'm on a BT DSL connection and I never had problems getting the seetickets queuing page (took a while to get through the queue of course). Be curious to see if people who had problems getting the page can even get it now that it is sold out. If not would probably point to an ISP issue somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Toast wrote: »
    Really sounds like certain ISPs had problems getting through. Especially as some people needed to use Opera turbo to even get the page (it is just a proxy server run by Opera). I'm on a BT DSL connection and I never had problems getting the seetickets queuing page (took a while to get through the queue of course). Be curious to see if people who had problems getting the page can even get it now that it is sold out. If not would probably point to an ISP issue somewhere.

I ended up getting in through my HTC Desire on o2s network.Was getting nowhere with Eircom.Id say it was a bigger problem with the ISPs then the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

couldn't get through all morning on UPC but can see the page saying theyre sold out - raging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

ditto, i tried with both eircom and Meteor bbtg, and no dice, but can get through to the sold out screen now. Iirc correctly, there was a good lot of tix on the resale round last year, so it's still not the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is anyone else still waiting for a confirmation email? I know it said up to 24 hours, but they usually never take more than an hour.
    Edit:Never mind got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

And finally my card has been debited just there now, was fully sure I had entered my details wrong this morning in the rush to try and fill out the form before I lost the connection!!

Incidentially was on UPC and used safari, firefox and internet explorer constantly refreshing and pressing redial on the phone, internet explorer worked in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

This might just be me, but....

In my house: 1 win PC, 2 win laptops, gf on her Mac
    Mates house #1: 2 win laptops
    Mates house #2: 1 mac
    Mates house #3: 2 wi laptops & pc

My gf and my mates with the mac got tickets in first hour, the rerst spent 4 hrs refreshing and nothing. Plus people suggesting the iphone worked?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like it won't be long before the headliners are made public.

http://www.nme.com/news/glastonbury/53241

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was just starting to wonder where the hell my confirmation e-mail was :eek:
    Then I realised one of my filters got a hold of it and tidied it away in the Glastonbury label :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I feel like I cheated by missing out on the hassle of tickets day, but I had someone else tasked with sorting our tickets this year as I was off drinking lots of beer in Oktoberfest this weekend. They did succeed though and managed to get all the tickets we needed, so although I have a sore head, it's a happy hungover head I have.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I booked a bunk camper for Glastonbury and just got an email from them saying I can't bring it abroad. :(

Does anyone know of any other places to rent a camper for 3 people?

Just noticed that they have Glastonbury advertised on their website.
    We get loads of enquiries for Glastonbury Festival. Rent one of our budget 2 berth campervans, the Roadie, and you will be priced as a car on the ferry. Rent one of our budget 4 berth campervans, the Ranger, and you can split the cost amongst you, your transport and accommodation could cost as little as £25 / €25 per day.

Not a happy bunny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They might not be counting it as abroad until you reach France as far as their insurance is concerned. I've certainly had no issue with hiring vans (not campers) and taking them from UK -> Ireland, but to take them to the rest of the Europe wasn't covered.

Anyone any idea how far in advance you can book Ryanair flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think its 6 months, at the moment you only seem to be able to get flights until the end of March next year. Beware though I've been stung before getting Ryanair flights the day they go on sale only to see them much cheaper 3 months later in a sale. They are total b*stards for doing stuff like that. Aer Lingus flights will always be cheapest when they go on sale but you just don't know with Ryanair. They will still probably be cheap when they go sale so get them then and don't look at the prices again!

6 months would be usual for airlines to release the flights, but I think I booked mine about the end of October last year. You have to be prepared to see the price go down at some point though if you buy that far in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I've been stung before getting Ryanair flights the day they go on sale only to see them much cheaper 3 months later in a sale. They are total b*stards for doing stuff like that. !

Who ever said the earlier the better :confused: Ryanair's sales are the only good thing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

robinph wrote: »
    They might not be counting it as abroad until you reach France as far as their insurance is concerned. I've certainly had no issue with hiring vans (not campers) and taking them from UK -> Ireland, but to take them to the rest of the Europe wasn't covered.

They just got back to me. They said they had a bad experience with Glastonbury last year so aren't providing the service this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like U2 are all locked up.
    U2 have posted an official statement on their website, telling fans to “watch this space” in regards to returning to Glastonbury in summer 2011.

The message pointed out that there was a gap in their schedule in June next year, which would make headlining the Friday night "a possibility". The band were forced to cancel their headline appearance at this year’s festival due to frontman Bono suffering a back injury.

Luckly for organisers, Damon Albarn’s Gorillaz were able to cover as a last-minute headline act. U2’s guitarist The Edge also came onstage to play with Welsh rockers Muse, where the band played a well-recieved cover of ‘Where The Streets Have No Name’.

The post on U2.com reads: "Looking at the tour dates – there is a gap in the band's schedule ahead of the East Lansing show on June 26th, which would make the Friday night a possibility."

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis has already invited the band to return, although is refusing to announce which headliners will be playing this year’s festival until all headliners have been confirmed.
    Tickets for this Glastonbury 2011 went on sale this Sunday (October 3rd), but sold out within a record-breaking four hours.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/161787/9

Opr

http://efestivals.com/news/10/101007b.shtml

Interesting look at the ticketing system. But they leave out one possible, fairer way of doing things.
    Could they not do the registration thing as normal. And then at 8.30am on the Sunday, do a lotto draw of all people who are registered, email them to let them know they can buy their ticket at 9.00am. Then maybe 4 or 5 hours later, the number of tickets not bought could be put back into another lotto draw and so on. It would mean that people wouldn't be sitting (Like I did) in front of their computer for 4 hours only to be told the tickets have sold out. This way you find out at fixed times during the day whether you're getting a ticket or not. Would this not make sense?

Nah, I agree with their opinion on it and that you may have to spend four hours trying filters out those that are not too bothered. It shouldn't be easy, but four hours sat infront of a computer is not the hardest of things to do, although I did get away with not having to do any of it this year.

I've yet to see anyone actually describe any ticketing system as fair. You build a robust system that can deal with thousands of requests a second and you have the ticketmaster sells out in 2 seconds problem. You've a system dealing with an estimated 3/4s of a million requests that crawls to a halt and you've the Glastonbury problem. Ultimately there wasn't enough tickets for everyone. Anybody on the wrong end of that will have an issue.

Doing some sort of lotto is not really that much different than what happened. It just takes the chance out of when ever someone happens to hit refresh (or the "queue" page doing the same) getting through to the ticket page. At least there was a certain level of interaction available to get that opportunity. Had it been a random lotto we'd have people giving out that people who were only half interested were given the opportunity to get tickets and took it as there is only really a 10 pound hit if they don't want them.

As it is that probably happened a lot anyway. At least to get that opportunity people had to be up at 9am on a Sunday and trying so it wasn't totally passive. When it comes to full ticket price time a lot of half interested people may decide it isn't worth it for them and their tickets will be freed up which at least gives people who actually care another chance. Any other ticketing system doesn't allow that and forces reselling, and when there is high demand, often at above the face value.

That Glastonbury has effectively removed that scenario, and probably at a significant hit to themselves as seen in '08 and '09, shows they do actually care about these issues which is almost unique in the live music industry.

I'm convinced that they actually knew the day before hand pretty much exactly how long it would take to sell out on the day and that the system is only setup to sell at a certain rate per 10 minutes/ half hour or whatever. Sure that I'd come across a screen during booking years ago where it came up saying something along the lines of "no tickets available at the moment, try again in X minutes" but that they then got rid of that page.

• Advertisement

Doing some sort of lotto is not really that much different than what happened. It just takes the chance out of when ever someone happens to hit refresh (or the "queue" page doing the same) getting through to the ticket page. At least there was a certain level of interaction available to get that opportunity. Had it been a random lotto we'd have people giving out that people who were only half interested were given the opportunity to get tickets and took it as there is only really a 10 pound hit if they don't want them.

But if there's a lotto it takes out the unfair chance of someone waiting for 4 hours not getting a ticket compared to someone who waits for 5 minutes and gets one. Anyone who's not interested enough to go will lose their 10 quid and then their tickets will go back on sale. Ultimately, only people who are interested will go to the festival.
    It doesn't annoy me that someone who could take it or leave it has a ticket right now whereas I'd love to go and dont. What annoys me is that there are people who may have started queuing at 11 and got tickets within 5 minutes, when I was waiting from 9-1 and didn't get a sausage. The lotto would get rid of this.

Advertisement