Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The difference though is your odds of getting a ticket if you try for four hours is a lot more than if you try for five minutes. Yes it was possible to get through on your first go but you'd have to be incredibly lucky. It was also possible to wait 4 hours and get nothing but you at least had a chance which was increased by putting that effort in. A lottery would award alot of people not willing to put in the most basic effort of actually being up and online in time and to me that seems less fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Toast wrote: »
    The difference though is your odds of getting a ticket if you try for four hours is a lot more than if you try for five minutes. Yes it was possible to get through on your first go but you'd have to be incredibly lucky. It was also possible to wait 4 hours and get nothing but you at least had a chance which was increased by putting that effort in. A lottery would award alot of people not willing to put in the most basic effort of actually being up and online in time and to me that seems less fair.

They would have to be up and online because as I said you would only find out if you were successful in the lotto on the morning of the sale, I know people may get tickets who aren't as willing to wait for four hours, but I feel as long as their willing to shell out the 200 or so quid then they want it enough to get the ticket.

I'm not entirely sure how that would work? Every transaction would have to be for only one ticket and you'd be counting on the 100k+ people who were randomly selected being actually up and ready (which there would be no guarantee of). You'd have to do it in waves and what would happen then if emails were delayed? You'd be sick if you got your mail saying you had an opportunity to get a ticket only to find it had expired. Honestly I do not see any fairer system than what they have. That isn't to say it is necessarily fair just anything else would have an equal amount of disappointed people. They'd just be disappointed via a different method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Toast wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure how that would work? Every transaction would have to be for only one ticket and you'd be counting on the 100k+ people who were randomly selected being actually up and ready (which there would be no guarantee of). You'd have to do it in waves and what would happen then if emails were delayed? You'd be sick if you got your mail saying you had an opportunity to get a ticket only to find it had expired. Honestly I do not see any fairer system than what they have. That isn't to say it is necessarily fair just anything else would have an equal amount of disappointed people. They'd just be disappointed via a different method.

I'm not giving up on my genius plan Toast :p
    Don't email people to tell them they've been successful with the lotto, you just let them sign into their account, where they will be told at a certain time whether they are eligible or not.
    There would have to be waves yes. They could do three on the Sunday....on at 9.00am, one at 12.00pm, and one at 3.00pm, then, whatever tickets aren't sold go on sale to the public.
    I know you'll still have an equal amount of disappointed people but at least they'll know at the click of a mouse whether they're in luck or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure if the third of those counts as a "biggest band in the world".

yeh, tis a bit strange, especially with coldplay's more recent morphing into U2 lite!

But Prince on a good day....:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll be giving Coldplay a miss, but definitely interested to see Prince, and U2 should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Feu wrote: »
    yeh, tis a bit strange, especially with coldplay's more recent morphing into U2 lite!

But Prince on a good day....:D

hey hun ;)

yeah no keen on seeing coldplay,or u2 really!

hopefully Radiohead appear as if by magic! :)

punchdrunk wrote: »
    hey hun ;)

howdy mr drunk:D
    yeh and maybe led zeppelin and pink floyd :pac: They're kind of the same as U2 and coldplay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Feu wrote: »
    howdy mr drunk:D
    yeh and maybe led zeppelin and pink floyd :pac: They're kind of the same as U2 and coldplay?

that's it our cinema date is off because of that remark!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

punchdrunk wrote: »
    hey hun ;)

Hopefully not.Im going to enjoy myself,not top myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sherrybobbins

Prince would be fun. NO interest in Coldplay. Who does?!?!! Good feeling radiohead will play:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Prince would be fun. NO interest in Coldplay. Who does?!?!! Good feeling radiohead will play:D

Coldplay are an excellent band and put on a fantastic live show.

People who say things like that and want to go to Glastonbury make me scratch my head tbh.

Coldplay have played there far too many times, it's getting boring now. It got boring many years ago actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

if its foo fighters im there one of the best live acts at the min

Someone was suggesting Take That as a possibility to me earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

robinph wrote: »
    Someone was suggesting Take That as a possibility to me earlier.

take that have already ruled it out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ricero wrote: »
    take that have already ruled it out

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

:D
    fixed :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

thered wrote: »
    if its foo fighters im there one of the best live acts at the min

I doubt they'll be playing any uk festivals. The milton keynes shows are supposed to be there only ones i think. Expect Oxegen and titp though.

The album will be supported by a run of sold out live shows early next year, with dates in Brussels , Berlin , Paris , and Londons Troxy on February 27th and 28th. 2011 will also see Harvey return to the festival-stage, with more details to be announced.

http://pjharvey.lucidwebs.co.uk/news.asp?newsid=940&year=2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I think Primal Scream would be fantastic at it, especially seeing as they're touring Screamadelica at the moment. Imagine if they had a late set, and the singalong for Come Together! Perfect Glastonbury moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

Hi all, so after years of saying "id love to go some year" - im planning on heading this year with the deposit on the tickets since November last. Have been to electric picnic for past 5 years so not too inexperienced with music festivals but i would appreciate any advice anyone has with regards to Glastonbury and what others from Ireland have done when travelling over, getting round, tents, drink etc.

Our plan currently is to fly to Bristol from Dublin on the Thursday (our tents are being brought by friends from London and being put up on the Wednesday).....and get the bus down to the festival.

Is this the best plan on getting there?

We did toy with renting a car from Bristol but getting out of car park on the Monday could be a nightmare.......

Our other little dilemma is alcohol.........and where to buy and how to transfer if getting plane/bus.....any ideas?

Cant think of anything else at the moment but on tips on how to make it smooth sailing are very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

Have you considered driving the whole way? get the ferry over and back, dont worry about tents, drink, not tied down to flight times etc

yep we did consider that......but decided against - main reasons being only one person able to drive and we felt it was unfair for this person to do all the driving, can take up to 7 hours to get out of glasto on the monday (depending on what time you leave though) and fatigue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

As long as you have someone putting your tent up for you on the Wednesday you'll be fine arriving on Thursday, you should get down to the site pretty fast from Bristol airport.

If it was me I'd get the alcohol before you board the bus, get yourself one of those little cart / trolley type things and use that to get the alcohol in.

You're gonna have so much fun :-D

thanks!

have actually changed flights to wednesday so arriving in bristol around 8....will hopefully get 08:30 bus down......and going to get a taxi to the a tesco in a nearby town for booze, read somewhere on a glasto forum that it costs about a tenner!

just want to be organised and all that!

• Advertisement

I usually just bring some spirits (in plastic bottles). They've a fairly decent selection of drinks at the festival, fairly priced and the bars are rarely that busy and usually well placed. Also they stay open far later than in Irish festivals (I think there are some open till 6am). IMO a nice cool cider is always much nicer than a luke warm can. The site is massive and rather hilly in places (and if it rains fairly, difficult to get around). The amount of cans you could actually carry to your tent is going to be fairly limited anyway unless you've a trolly or are hella fit so you'd be as well just bringing something lighter and possibly trading up with a local with lots of cans on site.

Advertisement