Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation - Beginner Road Bike

• 01-09-2010 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a beginner road bike and how much I should expect to pay? what models are best and what do I need as a beginner and wants to start training to compete in a triathlon next March?

Many thanks,
    Marie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

This should really be on the main cycling forum.
    If you post your budget people will have a better idea of what to recommend.
    You get what you pay for to a large extent and slightly more expensive bikes are better value in the long run imo. (Easier to sell secondhand if you lose interest also and hold their value better.)I think the best value for beginners atm is in the 750 euros area. You get a better level of components if you can stretch this far.

I am assuming you are a woman. You would need to say how tall you are also as the choice becomes limited for smaller women.

Are you eligible for the "cycle to work" scheme. Its the way to go if you are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod note: Moved since it's not an advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

id say for a beginer but for someone who's probably fairly active already if they're thinkin of doin some triathlons id say skip the entry level 750 euro bikes and go straight for a carbon. theres plenty of carbon bikes online for around 1200 euros. for a beginer tho its always best go goto a local bike shop (if the shop is any good) and get fitted, bikes in most shops in ireland tho are a bit more expensive. id say goto a bike shop, get sized then just goto chain reactions or someplace online and order from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gigglesoneill

thanks all for the replies

Yes I'm a woman and 6ft tall

Advertisement