Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists! The public thinks you're cool and normal

• 01-09-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/aug/31/we-cyclists-are-so-cool
    Prof Alan Tapp and a team of researchers from the University of the West of England have carried out a big piece of research asking 3,855 people for their opinions on bicycles and the people who ride them.
    Most respondents consider bike riding as normal (65%) and only 7% reckon cyclists are strange. Amusingly, those who cycle the most are disproportionately likely to think others consider them weird - 24% of those who use their bike at least once a week said they believed most normal people think cyclists were "a bit odd". Which does explain the proliferation of "I'm mad, me" types one occasionally encounters in the bike lane.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I feel so much better now!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I refuse to be normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I don't like cycling now (humph) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I knew it, i knew i was normal now can someone give me a hand with this straightjacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Well, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do then. I cycle up and down outside the bernard shaw all day with giant novelty glasses, wearing a womans blouse as a pair of pants and this is the thanks I get? hmmmpf. Im obviously not trying hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My friends think I'm weird and can't understand why I enjoy it so much.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The guy in the photo has the same bike as me. Does that make me cool, or a wierd, beardy Guardian reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

From Prof Tapp's survey :- "A heartening 69% of those questioned overall said cyclists should be taken seriously..."

Obviously they didnt read this thread !

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Damn that Cycle to Work scheme - now everyone is in on the Cult of Lycra and it's been normalised - another reason not to vote for the Greens:)

He's weird - he still has the shop-supplied reflectors on the bike

Helen-Blog-bike--Bearded--006.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

X is not normal if journalists are writing articles about how X is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Jawgap wrote: »

Yeah - he hasn't a clue.

Note to self: remove reflectors ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The author of the study has a comment near the top of the list on the Guardians web site. He says that he found it interesting how the Daily Express had a different spin on his research resulting in the headline...

CYCLISTS ARE 'SOCIAL MISFITS AND UNHAPPY', CLAIMS STUDY

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The author of the study has a comment near the top of the list on the Guardians web site. He says that he found it interesting how the Daily Express had a different spin on his research resulting in the headline...
    CYCLISTS ARE 'SOCIAL MISFITS AND UNHAPPY', CLAIMS STUDY

"Even worse many workers think colleagues who cycle are lazier and motorists say they are miserable."
    Hard to parse that, but "Motorists say they are miserable" rings true, to go by the faces on drivers I see stuck in traffic.

Although the Express has a mountainbiker as it's image - so maybe it's just mudpluggers who are social mis-fits and unhappy.

Roadies are probably fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rp wrote: »
    "many workers think colleagues who cycle are lazier "

Nah. We're just asleep at our desks 'cos we're knackered after cycling to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Jawgap wrote: »

Helen-Blog-bike--Bearded--006.jpg

Oddly that photo of someone in cycling gear reading a paper in the park reminds me of seeing nudists in the parks around Berlin reading newspapers, something incongruous about it. If he was on Dutchie with a basket, OK. But on a road bike without a back pack, how did he carry the paper to the park? was it stuffed up his jersey?

As to the wider accusation that we're normal

Advertisement