Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"POA" in Property Listings - Why?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

In looking through online Dublin Homes-For-Sale listings, each time I come across "POA" [Price on Application], I can't help but wonder if the Seller/Estate Agent isn't just a flaming eejit.

At a time when few enough people can even dream of buying a home, they must be thick as stumps to think anyone would want to be bothered enquiring about a listing which pretty much screams, "this house/apartment/kip is so bloody expensive we haven't the nerve to tell you how much it costs."

Sorry, but this really browns me off as just a total waste of time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

penana wrote: »
    In looking through online Dublin Homes-For-Sale listings, each time I come across "POA" [Price on Application], I can't help but wonder if the Seller/Estate Agent isn't just a flaming eejit.

At a time when few enough people can even dream of buying a home, they must be thick as stumps to think anyone would want to be bothered enquiring about a listing which pretty much screams, "this house/apartment/kip is so bloody expensive we haven't the nerve to tell you how much it costs."

Same goes for cars too. Pain in the rear so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Maybe it really means "make me an offer, I'm desperate"!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's like the jobs on the FAS site,salary not disclosed. IE. crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

penana wrote: »

There is definitely some method to the madness.. but i have seen one particular place thats been on the market for a long time listed as POA.

I thought that POA would strengthen the bargaining position of the seller.

If a guide price was published then a buyer could assume that the price the seller is hoping for is guide price - 20%.

with POA the seller is not showing their hand and could get a better idea of what the buyer is able to pay and hold out for a better price.

i'm not a sales or marketing person so I would be interested to know if anyone from these backgrounds could provide an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Buyer beware gollem_1975. No sales price data yet in this country and no guide price on a particular property screams one to walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

i'm not a sales or marketing person so I would be interested to know if anyone from these backgrounds could provide an answer.

Actually, Gollem_1975, for over thirty years I worked in Advertising, PR and Marketing, and that's the reason I find the "POA" approach so absurd. It is essentially counterproductive and, IMHO, exceptionally short-sighted.

Such an approach might have worked during the Tiger Years -- but, I still have my doubts about even that -- but in the midst of a recession, it's anything but a wise move.

Right now, an attractive price -- affordable for the buyer, but still as realistic as circumstances allow for the seller -- is the only thing that'll move a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I'm not saying Its a strategy i'd use.. there must be some reason behind the POA strategy and I was making an attempt to understand this.

OP - if you have 30 years experience in the industry then surely you must have some idea "why" the POA strategy exists ?

Perhaps accomodation and property would be a better place to discuss this.. its not specifically a dublin city issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"Property" Threads in The Dublin City Forum - Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement