Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1mb was better than 3mb (gaming)

• 01-09-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Long story short, we had 7mb eircom BB, budget cuts so we moved to 3mb.

Thing is when I had the 1mb BB my ping was always 20-30ms when playing online. With the 7mb it went up to about 60ms, now with 3mb it stays around 40ms.

What is happening though with the 3mb connect for no reason (wifi-off) ping goes up to 300ms and can last for up to 4/5 hrs.

Any ideas?

Set up is 3mb
    Speed 3072/384(kbps)
    Line Attenuation 8/5 dB

Motorola Netopia - model 2247-62
    Software ver 7.8.2r2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

if your gaming get on to tech support and get them to change your interleaving. Might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Do the 300ms ping times occurr around evening time, e.g. 5-10pm? Has it been happening within the last 2 months? Tell eircom to turn interleaving off, that will help somewhat but not with the 300ms ping issue I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Your line attenuation is very low so you must be close to an exchange.
    300ms pings are a bit odd.

What's your SNR/noise ratio? Is it possible that there is something interfering with the connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

exaisle wrote: »
    Your line attenuation is very low so you must be close to an exchange.
    300ms pings are a bit odd.

What's your SNR/noise ratio? Is it possible that there is something interfering with the connection?

SNR/noise ratio, how do I find this out ?

Go to http://192.168.1.254/

Click "troubleshoot", then "statistics", then "DSL".

You must live in termonfeckin village, the line is grand I think. The ping times will only be fixed by calling eircom. Did you call them to have interleaving reduced or switched off?? Tell them it's for gaming purposes and that you often use skype and you find that there's a terrible delay in hearing the other person speak.

The high pings in the evening could be a problem with capacity in the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Go to http://192.168.1.254/

Click "troubleshoot", then "statistics", then "DSL".

You must live in termonfeckin village, the line is grand I think. The ping times will only be fixed by calling eircom. Did you call them to have interleaving reduced or switched off?? Tell them it's for gaming purposes and that you often use skype and you find that there's a terrible delay in hearing the other person speak.

The high pings in the evening could be a problem with capacity in the exchange.

I rang, the person I got onto didnt have a clue, I asked for someone else she said they were all busy :rolleyes:

I had to go anyway so I hung up.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384

SN Margin (dB) 24.80 19.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 8.00 5.00

CRC Errors 0 0

Chorcai wrote: »
    I rang, the person I got onto didnt have a clue, I asked for someone else she said they were all busy :rolleyes:

I had to go anyway so I hung up.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384

SN Margin (dB) 24.80 19.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 8.00 5.00

CRC Errors 0 0

That line is one of the best in the country:D. It's definitely not a line quality issue which is what I thought. I'd call back eircom and basically nag them if needs be. Mention stuff like bad ping times and xbox live and then ask about interleaving, it should jog their memory. Some of them do know what interleaving is as reports on boards show.

And in any case, I'm sure they can understand the concept of the internet being slow in the evenings if we believe their advertisements:rolleyes: Eircom won't pull the finger out unless people are going to complain about speed issues in the evening and contention problems. The exchange is fibre-fed since before DSL but the dslam equipment was fairly minimal when it was put in. I don't know the capacity of the link to Drogheda but it wouldn't be much for a small exchange enabled for about 4 years now.

If eircom do keep messing you around, a wireless crowd called Net1 cover almost all of Termonfeckin but not along the low ground right beside the river like where the Waterside pub is (or indeed where the phone exchange is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Your best bet might be to hang around the local telephone exchange with a twenty euro note at the ready. Tell a technician your problem and ask them if they can sort it......

I can tell you that the exchange in question will rarely have eircom personnel near it. In any case, I don't think linesmen can change any interleaving settings and if the exchange is congested, it will cost a lot more than 20 quid for eircom to fix it:)

Advertisement