Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt/Dust :(

• 01-09-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭

Went travellin last week for a couple of days and noticed that my camera seems to have picked a bit of dust.

I've unsuccessfully tried to clean the sensor with a blower but the dust wont budge :(. What are my next steps or it is a job for the professionals?

0BCE7965B2B14628B89A2E8656A076F9-0000316185-0001889384-00800L-189294BDF7B443FDB22CA5B96B7BF9DB.jpg

All along ther top is bad but the top right corner is a disaster and with the piece in the centre.

Any help or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

It'll need the sensor cleaned. If you're in Dublin you can get it done for free... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055993158 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That photograph was taken with an aperture setting of f25, I would say most used DSLRs would show dirt on the sensor at that aperture. If it won't budge with a blower then its a wet clean you need. As nforce suggests go to DML, really nice guys and will wet clean it for free while you wait.
    www.dml.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nforce wrote: »
    It'll need the sensor cleaned. If you're in Dublin you can get it done for free... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055993158 .

Not in Dublin :( but it might be worth a trip up.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    That photograph was taken with an aperture setting of f25, I would say most used DSLRs would show dirt on the sensor at that aperture. If it won't budge with a blower then its a wet clean you need. As nforce suggests go to DML, really nice guys and will wet clean it for free while you wait.
    www.dml.ie

The dust marks are visible in a load of the photos that I took, some of it seems to move about after using the blower but the top right corner has me damned.

Anyone know of wet cleans near Limerick or DIY packs that I could try? How much is a wet clean, maybe the trip to Dublin would be a better alternative :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

€50 - €100 depending on where you go. You can buy wet-cleaning sets. it's not that hard to do. You just need to remember it's not the actual sensor you're touching with the brush/swap, but the protective coating on top of it. Unless you really press down aggressively hard, you can't harm the sensor when wiping it clean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Are you in Musgrave Park on Saturday? If so, bring your camera along and I'll give it a blast with a rocket blower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭phog

kensutz wrote: »
    Are you in Musgrave Park on Saturday? If so, bring your camera along and I'll give it a blast with a rocket blower.

I am :) Thanks. Will send you a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

actually its not even the coating on the sensor but the IR filter glass that you are cleaning

and although its not difficult there are some pitfalls

In years gone buy there has been sensor cleaning at photovision, i havent looked to see if they are doing it this year but its on tuesday in croke park

if they are not cleaning lots of the suppliers that you could get the kits from will be there, might be worth a trip for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

stcstc wrote: »
    actually its not even the coating on the sensor but the IR filter glass that you are cleaning

and although its not difficult there are some pitfalls

In years gone buy there has been sensor cleaning at photovision, i havent looked to see if they are doing it this year but its on tuesday in croke park

if they are not cleaning lots of the suppliers that you could get the kits from will be there, might be worth a trip for that

Ah yea, course.

but it really is easy enough - not as hard as some make out.

There is cleaning at Photovision, think it's €35, not sure if that was for full wet clean or dry?

See y'all there, oh yes.

Advertisement