Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting to A1 standard in one year of self teaching?

• 01-09-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

OK, the title is pretty informative I believe... is it doable?
    I'm just starting 6th year now, doing 9 subjects, teaching myself Applied Maths and Biology, both of which I plan on getting an A in.. I was thinking today, and I realised that accounting must be an exceptionally easy subject relative to the others if you've any bit of cop on at all, and so I was wondering whether this is possible? [or whether my preconceptons in regards to accounting are completely false? =/]

ANyway, thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

thayes93 wrote: »
    OK, the title is pretty informative I believe... is it doable?
    I'm just starting 6th year now, doing 9 subjects, teaching myself Applied Maths and Biology, both of which I plan on getting an A in.. I was thinking today, and I realised that accounting must be an exceptionally easy subject relative to the others if you've any bit of cop on at all, and so I was wondering whether this is possible? [or whether my preconceptons in regards to accounting are completely false? =/]

ANyway, thanks in advance..

As a ninth subject to an A1 standard in one year. not a chance!!! ud be cutting corners and making assumptions which dont always work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thayes93

TRAPASARMY wrote: »
    As a ninth subject to an A1 standard in one year. not a chance!!! ud be cutting corners and making assumptions which dont always work out.

Ha, 10th actually, ignore Irish, I'm not expecting anything great and I'm wasting no time on that, and there are several others that shouldn't require enormous amounts of time and effort which I expect to do well in anyway.. But thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sophia91

No it would be nearly impossible to get an A1 teaching yourself in one year...........its quite a big course and you need to do each account over and over again or you'll forget how to do them, which takes up a lot of time! Also you really need a teacher who you can hand up the accounts to for correction cause you would find it hard to work out were you went wrong otherwise!! But if you get grinds or someone to correct accounts you could prob do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Yeah its fairly easy, got a1 in it . Not huge volume stuff to remember. Numeracy helps. Time is one biggest factors as you are always pushing against clock. Conceptually not hard but putting it all together on day in given time is problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thayes93

Ok, thanks everyone, yes I am numerate, the main reason I'm interested is so I will have 6 scientific/numerate subjects...
    I did Junior Cert. business too if that helps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

thayes93 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks everyone, yes I am numerate, the main reason I'm interested is so I will have 6 scientific/numerate subjects...
    I did Junior Cert. business too if that helps..
    Have a look at exam study notes/guides and get an idea of how much to do. You do need to do a lot of questions to get the right solutions/approach certain in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Definitely possible! If you do the work, obviously. I did 8 honours (with one taken up in 6th year). Had to spread myself a little thinner but it is possible if you work at it and get a good grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Possible, but I think teaching yourself Accounting would be very difficult! You really have to understand it, and each question may need some initial explanation. Would you consider grinds?

But really, why? 10 subjects? I'd just stick with what you got and try your best with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

this would be very difficult without a teacher because no book explains the topics very well. a teacher usually needs to explain the topics first before you do questions. none of the revision books assume you are learning from scratch either! if you were willing to get grinds then maybe it's possible to get a high grade, but maybe not an a1. you'd probably be better off focusing on doing well in your other nine subjects. after all it's only six that matter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dude Business is the subject for a free A1, unless you're already doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Sorry but that's just not possible!
    Getting A's in the Leaving is harder than what people think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Sorry but that's just not possible!
    Getting A's in the Leaving is harder than what people think!

I reckon it could be possible, but it doesn't really seem necessary if you have 10 subjects already, OP. I didn't do accounting but it just seems excessive to take it up when you aren't really compensating for anything or looking for good subjects to do for a repeat year. That's just my view though. I was going to say that if you craved intellectual stimulation, then by all means go for it, but from your first post it just seems like a strictly grade-oriented, academic decision. Not saying that such a viewpoint is bad, just that learning is about much more than grades and points and all such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Accounting is awful, avoid it at all costs. The way they mix up the Q's and combine them ect., you never know what they'll spring on you. You could be facing a new style of Q which is awful when you're under pressure. Maybe stick with Business if you don't do it already?

Do you really need that many subjects though, like, in reality can you not just focus on your best 6/7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I have a question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

What is the best book to teach yourself Accounting? That is, the book that is easiest to understand and is clear and concise and clear. At the moment, I've been given a copy of Accounting for Leaving Cert. It was printed in 1995 and everything is in £, and nothing seems to be explained too well.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Dude Business is the subject for a free A1, unless you're already doing it?

Did you get an A1 in it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Accounting in a year? Not a chance. It's a struggle with 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

You say you've 10 subjects but you're ignoring Irish. That leaves you with 9 subjects (including accounting) that you feel you can achieve good points in. Why not just leave out accounting and focus on 8 subjects? I'm currently doing 9 subjects in total for the L.C, focusing on 7. I dropped back to pass in two subjects and I'm giving them very little study time. I'm teaching myself Biology and that, along with the other 6 subjects I'm focusing on, is leaving me spread thin enough as it is.

To me, 8 subjects is more than enough to get good points in. You'd have 5 scientific/numerate subjects which you are good at. Surely improving one of your non-scientific subjects would be easier than learning a difficult two year course in an already very pressure filled year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OK I didn't really read most of the thread, so some of this might have been said before. I got an A1 in 2010 LC Accounting, and I can safely say that doing it an a year, by teaching yourself, is a hugely difficult task and I doubt you'd get an A1, or anywhere close (I'd love if you proved me wrong though!)

We did it in two years, with a fantastic teacher, and even then we just about fit everything in (we covered every single question that could possibly come up, but we had to fairly rush in Incomplete Records as we were running out of time - they weren't due for us anywhere, and thankfully, didn't appear).

Accounting is not easy at all. There is a huge amount of material to cover. Don't get me wrong, I loved the subject, but it was one of the most time consuming that I did. I probably spent more time on Accounting than any other subject!

And this is just my opinion, but doing 10 subjects is daft. I don't see why anyone would do that. I think somebody would do that if they have a secret ambition to become one of those guys in the paper with 9 A1s, but why bother - they only count 6. And I wouldn't think too quickly about ignoring Irish. I felt like you, that I wouldn't concentrate much on Irish because I wasn't going to do well in it. However, due to not doing as well in some subjects as I would have liked (*cough* Physics *cough*), I ended up including my Irish grade in my best 6 (I did 8 subjects) - something I would have never seen coming. Had I got one single grade less in Irish, I wouldn't be where I am now (in UCD, doing a course I love - which is completely unrelated to Irish).

Best of luck with it anyway, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Elite Baz

i like pie wrote: »
    this would be very difficult without a teacher because no book explains the topics very well. a teacher usually needs to explain the topics first before you do questions.

Totally agree, my teacher only ever uses our accounting book for the questions and never reads through the start of the chapters. I once had to try and make out how to do a question once from the book and I found there was no example for how to answer the questions.
    Also being self taught would be very difficult as correcting yourself would be near impossible and probably would drive you crazy tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

That fúcking physics paper cost me 10 points and my course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I think the points made on Irish are really valid. I know loads of people who included it in the end and swore they wouldn't! With the new oral it's even more student-friendly. If I were you I'd concentrate on one you're already doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

What is the best book to teach yourself Accounting? That is, the book that is easiest to understand and is clear and concise and clear. At the moment, I've been given a copy of Accounting for Leaving Cert. It was printed in 1995 and everything is in £, and nothing seems to be explained too well.

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

You NEED a teacher for accounting. It's like a language. Apparently I have the best teacher you could possibly get and I still think it's deadly.

Get the revised additon of the accounting book. Printed from 2006 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Ignore everyone

I do Accounting myself and i admit that i couldnt do it without a teacher but if your determined enough and use books such as revise wise to help i have no doubt you will achieve it

Its all about putting in the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KarinaKarona10

Do not even attempt trying to teach yourself....ive been doing it for 2 years now with a teacher and i still dont have a clue...its impossible!

Advertisement