Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all devices are not showing up in "attached devices"

Options
  • 01-09-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

i have a netgear wireless adsl firewall router dg834g. when i go to maintenance -> attached devices i do not get all the connected devices listed. i only get some devices. there is no pattern to this and sometimes a device might show up and sometimes it might not.

should this present an up to date view or does this page only work by pinging other devices or something?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

it's probably a list of devices it has given IP addresses to using DHCP - maybe restart the devices? Also, do any devices have static IPs you have programmed into them? They won't show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have 3 things showing up at the moment. one is my PC which is DHCP assigned. The other is a printer server which is static and the other is an access point which is static. It randomly shows up the laptops, iphone or whatever but not always. Sometimes these ones vanish too.

probably due to the DHCP lease time expiring or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dardania wrote: »
    probably due to the DHCP lease time expiring or something...
    I've seen that a lot on cheapo consumer routers, i.e. the initial DHCP lease goes OK, but renewals from the host either don't get through or are ignored, so the lease just eventually expires and disappears from the list.

so it's just a piece of **** menu in a home router that no real effort was put into by the makers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Random wrote: »
    so it's just a piece of **** menu in a home router that no real effort was put into by the makers?
    Not the menu really, but the DHCP software that's in it. What's the DHCP lease time set to? Mine's now set to 24 hrs, so most things stay put in the table as they're all used at least once a day. Do the other clients show up in the table at least when they're first powered up / get an initial lease?

EDIT: Just did an experiment with my D-Link 2740b which is Linux/BusyBox based and set my lease time to 1hr. The lease was renewed correctly after 30 mins (half the lease time) had elapsed as per the DHCP spec.

i can't find much of a pattern to it. i hook up my htc desire for example to the wifi for the first time in 2 days and it doesn't show up in the list. it might appear later on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Random wrote: »
    i have a netgear wireless adsl firewall router dg834g. when i go to maintenance -> attached devices i do not get all the connected devices listed. i only get some devices. there is no pattern to this and sometimes a device might show up and sometimes it might not.

should this present an up to date view or does this page only work by pinging other devices or something?

thanks
    Have the DG834GT. I find that hitting 'refresh' a few times seems to make it finally reflect an accurate situation :)

does it maybe do an ARP / RARP?

Advertisement