Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slipping gear problems

• 01-09-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help with this. Have recently bought a Felt F5 with 105 groupset. I'm having some problems with the gears. When under pressure, climbing for example, the gears seem to slip in the cassette.

That's the first part of the problem. The second is when changing from the large front ring to small I have to click the shifter twice. When changing from small to large thing work perfectly.

The previous owner of the bike changed to a compact chainset, not sure if this would make any difference. Would the same chain length be ok on the compact?

I hope this makes sense.

It really is a great bike but these problems are kind of taking a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I'm not great when it comes to fixing these type of things so any thoughts you have would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Slipping on the cassette is probably a worn cassette or chain.

The front shifter will have 'trim' positions so the change down to small ring will involve two clicks but you should be able to do that in a single movement of the lever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

A new cassette and chain will more than likely make your bike feel like new.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

the casette & chain only have about 1000km on them, practically new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Chain stretch - I read somewhere that chains are really only good for about 1000km to 1500km - after that "stretching" becomes an issue the most obvious symptom of which is slipping.

Check the chain to see if it's "stretched" - and replace if necessary.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

Jawgap wrote: »
    Chain stretch - I read somewhere that chains are really only good for about 1000km to 1500km - after that "stretching" becomes an issue the most obvious symptom of which is slipping.

Check the chain to see if it's "stretched" - and replace if necessary.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

That would mean a new chaine every 2 - 3 months :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

he snollup.just upgraded my felt to 10 sp ultegra, spent about 5 hours online researching chains (was a long night) went with a wippermann connex, there is a video on line wher they put all the chains through the test of a lifetime and the wippermann is miles ahead in terms of wear, can remember the stats, but i was blown away at the difference between that any campy, shimano etc.

Felt F5, nice bike btw - i have a bit of a hard on when it come to felts.

btw, skeff installed my drivetrain and i have two clicks on the front as well, so does my friends new bianchi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

snollup wrote: »
    That would mean a new chaine every 2 - 3 months :eek:

my reaction precisely!! So I invested in one of these:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5784

and now I just monitor for wear and replace as necessary. Saying that, I barely got 2,000km from my last chain - and closer examination has revealed that the cassette is quite worn and the big ring is looking "tired".

The previous chain was on for over 4,500km and probably caused the damage - so I think it pays to check and replace your chain regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I got about 2,000km (6 months) from my last 105 chain, that came stock with the bike. The cassette is still fine, but my big ring needs to be replaced when I change the chain next. I've had it almost a year at this stage. I guess these are standard maintenance things when you ride enough.
    That's the first part of the problem. The second is when changing from the large front ring to small I have to click the shifter twice. When changing from small to large thing work perfectly.
    You mightn't necessarily have to click twice, just push the lever as far as it will go. I thought the same when I first got my bike. The right-hand shifter is just a small movement to change down, but on the left-hand side, you need to push at least twice as far to shift down (or press it twice).
    The previous owner of the bike changed to a compact chainset, not sure if this would make any difference. Would the same chain length be ok on the compact?
    From a triple or a double? Triple -> compact probably isn't a huge difference in chain length. Double > Compact, you'd probably need to shorten the chain.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    he snollup.just upgraded my felt to 10 sp ultegra, spent about 5 hours online researching chains (was a long night) went with a wippermann connex, there is a video on line wher they put all the chains through the test of a lifetime and the wippermann is miles ahead in terms of wear, can remember the stats, but i was blown away at the difference between that any campy, shimano etc.

Felt F5, nice bike btw - i have a bit of a hard on when it come to felts.

btw, skeff installed my drivetrain and i have two clicks on the front as well, so does my friends new bianchi.

Thanks funkyjebus, have pm'd Mr. Skeff to see if he'll take a look. Chain look ok to my untrained eye. Good to know about the two clicks, can't say I'm a fan though. What Felt are you riding at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I have the 09 version of the team F95 (http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/f-series/09-f95-team-issue.aspx), which is now rocking full ultegra sl. ultegra really is quite the upgrade on the bike, only cost me 400 through my scrounging ways (mostly new).

by my two clicks i meant that skeff installed and it has two clicks so i assume thats the way it has to be or skeff would have amended, just encase that wasn't clear. so he prop wont be able to fix what aint broke!

not a fan of the two click myself, when i got the shifters in the post, i started sh1tting myself, as i tought i'd inadvertently bought for a triple, but alas i hadn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

seamus wrote: »
    From a triple or a double? Triple -> compact probably isn't a huge difference in chain length. Double > Compact, you'd probably need to shorten the chain.

My triple is a 52/42/30t so same big ring as a double. On that basis you would need to shorten the chain for either -> compact change. OTOH, an original triple will have a longer cage derailleur which should cope with the compact without problem.

seamus wrote: »
    I got about 2,000km (6 months) from my last 105 chain, that came stock with the bike. The cassette is still fine, but my big ring needs to be replaced when I change the chain next. I've had it almost a year at this stage. I guess these are standard maintenance things when you ride enough.

You mightn't necessarily have to click twice, just push the lever as far as it will go. I thought the same when I first got my bike. The right-hand shifter is just a small movement to change down, but on the left-hand side, you need to push at least twice as far to shift down (or press it twice).

Hey Seamus, was changed from double to compact to have a feeling chain may need to be shortened slightly. When descending at decent speed I happened to spin pedels backwards and noticed the chain hoping (I hope this makes sense). This is what made me start thinking the chain may be too lone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

snollup wrote: »
    Hey Seamus, was changed from double to compact to have a feeling chain may need to be shortened slightly. When descending at decent speed I happened to spin pedels backwards and noticed the chain hoping (I hope this makes sense). This is what made me start thinking the chain may be too lone.
    Well obviously the chain is always going to bounce about somewhat when the bike is shaking. Part of the derailleur's job is to pull on the chain to keep it constantly taut. If the chain is too long then the derailleur won't be able to gather up the slack, but that normally only occurs on the small chainring and towards the smaller cogs at the back. It shouldn't occur on the big ring, even if your chain is too long - if it does then I'd be surprised that you can shift at all :)

Getting Mr. Skeff to take a look would be your best bet. The derailleur tension can be adjusted to make it more taut. Gear slipping under pressure though is usually an indicator of worn sprockets. Though it may just be a matter of adjusting the gearing - gear cables stretch over time and need to be adjusted or your gears will slip. If the seller replaced the gear cables and you haven't touched them in 1,000km, then I would look there first.

Advertisement