Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combine 2 wireless routers?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

is it possible to combine both of these together so that i have a greater wireless range in my house? i basically want one to boost or replicate the other.

i have:
    - netgear wireless adsl firewall router dg834g (this is a wireless dsl router i believe)
    - tp link tlwa501g (i believed this is just a wireless access point)

the netgear one has the dsl line coming into it and i have most cabled devices hooked up to that.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'd need to run a cat5 between them, put them either ends of the house, plug the access point into the lan port of the router, give it the same ssid, encryption and password. You must make sure they are on completely different channels though, if the router is channel 11, make the ap channel 1. Your devices should roam if setup correctly with the exact same settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

as it stands at the moment the netgear is downstairs and the tplink is upstairs. the wifi is turned off on the netgear and it's turned on with the tplink. they are connected via cable.

so you're suggesting it just turn on the netgear wifi, put all the same settings in (bar the channel) as the tplink and bobs your uncle, it should work out ok?

Random wrote: »
    so you're suggesting it just turn on the netgear wifi, put all the same settings in (bar the channel) as the tplink and bobs your uncle, it should work out ok?

It should,*I've done it lots of times, but with the same make router and access point (linksys). You may encounter problems as You're using two different makes, but try it and see how it goes. Encryption type must be identical and the router must be handling routing and dhcp for it to work.

let us know how it goes

that seems to have worked. i'm not sure how i'd test if they're transferring seemlessly between the networks though. can you suggest a way?

I've no idea what utility You're using to connect to wireless, if its windows its fairly useless at giving any channel information. The way to know is by seeing what channel your connecting on, this indicates which device You're connected through. You can also start a ping to the router and watch it while walking upstairs.

Does it really matter if its not completely seamless? If You've good signal in both locations is it not job done?

• Advertisement

my htc desire seems to show channels and stuff, laptop doesn't, iphone doesn't, other phones don't.

Does it really matter if its not completely seamless? If You've good signal in both locations is it not job done?
    i suppose that's true enough. will try do a proper test one of the days :)

Random wrote: »
    my htc desire seems to show channels and stuff, laptop doesn't, iphone doesn't, other phones don't.

This is the app I use
    http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/productivity/wifi-manager_gltd.html

Advertisement