Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should ya report bad driving or would the guards be annoyed?

• 01-09-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Was heading to cyclesuperstore this evening, starting from Francis st. Long story short a fat bollix in a white van lays on the horn behind me while I'm standing behind a car that is waiting to pull right onto The Coombe.

I turned to him, point at the car in front of us and say what do you want? 'get off the ****in road', 'there's a car in front of us', 'youre slowin me up all the way down the street','there's a car in front of us'. so he continues to swear at me. The car pulls away and i got off the bike and stood in front of him, he threatened to run over my bike a couple of times, edging the van forwards over it (I had turned it sideways at this stage and was asking him how my getting off the road would have helped 'were you going to drive over the car?')

He drove off, I realised that all the girls in the polish hairdressers saw the whole thing, thats probably what stopped him actually driving over me. I took a minute to calm down. I'm very good with drivers, I wave them through, thank them at junctions etc so I am not aggressive at all, its why it upsets me when something like this happens (stupid of me to get bothered I know).

Cycled on and naturally passed him on cork st. He swapped lanes to give me a close drive-by(! seriously) but I left him for dead out the crumlin road. I made a point of stopping and taking his reg at the lights on cork st first. Diamond Living, white van 02 D reg, just beware of that if you see it, a big van, or a small lorry.

Is there any point in ringing or dropping into guards? No physical damage was done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Some people are just plain thick and ignorant.

I was coming back from a race the week before last, stopped at lights, chilling and gulping down the last of my energy drink. There is a lane to turn left and a lane to go straight. There is a red light for both lanes and traffic coming from the right. Some silly cow behind me starts beeping and gesturing for me to get out of her way, I turn around and point at the red light and the oncoming traffic from the right and shrug my shoulders. She beeps again. I move out of her way to the front of the straight ahead lane, she goes to drive off and nearly has the nose of her car taken off by oncoming traffic before slamming on the brakes just in time. I look at her and smile, she wouldn't make eye contact.....

Oh yeah I doubt the Guards will be able to do anything with no evidence unless you can get the polish girls to help with a statement. However I"m sure the good folks at diamond living will love to hear how their drivers are such patient and courteous drivers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Diamond living? They are a company right? Ring them up and say you were harassed by one of their drivers, give the details and ask that they follow it up and warn the guy about his behaviour. If they refuse to take it seriously or you don't hear back from them, ring them again and say you will be reporting the matter to the Gardai.

I got beeped at by an angry guy for not turning right. Both the traffic light and filter were red at the time. Another time while turning right a lady passed me on the inside, i.e. I was in the right hand turning lane, she undertook me and turned right. When I started shouting and gesticulating she jammed on her brakes. I swerved around her on the outside as she called out her window that I "had no manners". Obviously she saw nothing dangerous about the two maneuvers she just performed.

The Gardai are taking more of these incidents seriously, there is no reason for anyone to be reckless or abusive in trying to make a point, be they right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A note to his employers about his behaviour might have a positive effect on his attitude.

http://www.diamondliving.ie/contactform.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I got cut up so much this morning on the way to work I was sorry I didn't have a headcam. I dunno was it the schools back or what but every ludraman in the country seemed to be behind the wheel today. I was due to take a half day but I actually stayed on to avoid the school collection drivers.

On my way in this morning I was stopped at a red light. When it went green I started up (it's also on an incline), crossed the junction and a car exited a garage and drove across in foront of me. She didn't even look left in my direction. I ended leaning on the car with a thud to avoid landing on the ground and with that the neandrathal in the passenger seat got out roaring obscenities (in front of the kids, I might add). Webber in the driving seat was shouting at him to "Leave ih will yeh" etc. but he had already started to get back in his car when he saw I wasn't backing down. I put the number in my phone and went to work and reported it.

In case you don't know from my previous posts I am a guard and the colleague I reported it to is also a cyclist (I choose them carefully;)) so these beauts will have their doors rapped tomorrow morning.

One piece of advice I will give is DO report these incidents because whatever you might think of them it is the job of the Gardai to pursue such matters and non-reporting only encourages this behaviour.

Another piece of advice is-If you do report an incident be sure you are actually in the right first.

EDIT: Before it's pointed out-yes I absolutely do accept that the outcome often depends on the action/inaction of the guard you initially report the matter to.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

thanks guys, good advice.

I hate generalisations (taxi drivers, guards, cyclists or whatever) so just so you know the title of my OP is not a go at the gardai.

I think I might drop into a station tomorrow, at least I can ask them what they think, no harm taking a few mins out.

Sorry I don't like these whiney threads, I was in a few scrapes when I started cycling again last year but I'd regard myself as a more aware and responsible road user now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had a similar experience a few years back, though it wasn't as extreme. In my case, to be fair, the driver wasn't making an emergency delivery of contemporary affordable furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I reported one recently in Balibriggan and the Guard who dealt with it was very good - took a note of the incident, followed up with a witness and then was honest enough to tell me they probably couldn't do anything except give him a b0llicking - that was delegated to the traffic lads:)

A big improvement over the only other time I reported dangerous driving to the Guards there and I was initially told that the road I was on wasn't really meant for cyclists (the old N1)!!! That wound me up more than the knob-head in the van who had nearly killed me, so I took it up with the seargent who had a better grasp of the seriousness of the situation.

I'd say report it, but don't embellish it - you could try reporting it to his company, but in my experience he'll get nothing more than a jokey quite word from the warehouse or transport manager.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

brayblue24 wrote: »
    In case you don't know from my previous posts I am a guard and the colleague I reported it to is also a cyclist (I choose them carefully;)) so these beauts will have their doors rapped tomorrow morning.

As a Guard, would you have been entitled to do them there and then? Or is it a case that if you're the subject of an incident yourself, it's considered best practice to let a colleague handle it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    As a Guard, would you have been entitled to do them there and then? Or is it a case that if you're the subject of an incident yourself, it's considered best practice to let a colleague handle it?

Do them? As in "Mozambique drill"?

Seems a bit of an overreaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

brayblue24 wrote: »

One piece of advice I will give is DO report these incidents because whatever you might think of them it is the job of the Gardai to pursue such matters and non-reporting only encourages this behaviour.

Another piece of advice is-If you do report an incident be sure you are actually in the right first.

EDIT: Before it's pointed out-yes I absolutely do accept that the outcome often depends on the action/inaction of the guard you initially report the matter to.

Good advice

Jawgap wrote: »
    ............was honest enough to tell me they probably couldn't do anything except give him a b0llicking -............

Quite often that is sufficient.

OP, yes do report the incident, and inform the Company that you have done so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    Do them? As in "Mozambique drill"?

Seems a bit of an overreaction.

difficult, esp if they are driving away and you are moving too - mind you, you could always take out the tyres first - that'd make it easier!

But there's always the chance they'd get their retaliation in first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I have Trafficwatch (1890 205 805) saved in my phone, and I'd have no issue with calling them if an incident like this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

had an incident a few months back on the quays. a bus eireann bus flew up beside me as a small bend was coming and then cuts the corner about to crush me between him and the parker cars, i yelped and smacked the side of the bus and he quickly pulled over, but i was freaked, heart was racing, i passed him a few metres later and put my (shaking) hands in the air, giving a wtf, and he stuck his finger up at me, i stopped my bike in front of him (in a safe manner) and a bit of a match of ensued. a guard was around the corner and she ran over, we both explainedp she let him go and gave me a bollocking for stopping in the middle of the road, said it was dangerous. i of course asked if she thought it was more dangerous than what the bus driver had done, she said yes.

fyi: we were both going about 20k when i started braking and her was 10 metres behind me, when fully stopped he was 5 metres behind me. i braked slowly (again trying to ensure i didnt get hit by a bus)

so my point being, the guards might not be happy you stopped and confronted the driver, in fact they miht even get hung up on it and ignore the wreckless driver. I would report it to the company, but only to the md or ceo, they care about the insurance premium if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

One should not hesitate to report any such incident because a Garda might not be "happy".

As for the Ban Garda in the last post? She needs to be sent back to Templemore to be taught what is right and what is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Don't worry about what the guard at the desk thinks. This is a serious incident. It's in a different league to the frequent horn honking, finger giving and move on incidents. This driver actually threatened you, after he was done with his delay he took time out to endanger you again.

Definitely report it to the guards. Brayblue can confirm or deny but I've been told you need to make sure the guard at the station writes the incident in to the log book otherwise it's likely nothing will happen. There's a strong chance you'll get a game of pass the parcel too, make sure you know what station you need to to go (the one responsible for the area the incident took place in) and stick to your guns if they tell you to go elsewhere.

The reason you should report this even though they won't do anything is this. At some point in the future it's possible this driver will kill a cyclist. At that point he'll claim that he was driving down the road in a sedate and calm manner (listening to mass on his radio) and the cyclist swerved out in front of him with no warning. Assuming (which I think is fairly safe) that this guy makes a habit of this sort of thing, his trial will go quite differently if he has multiple complaints about threatening and deliberately endangering cyclists.

No harm complaining to Diamond Living as well, but not as a replacement for an official complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're complaining to the employer, it's always best to say, "I was in your shop at the weekend looking to buy <X>, but now I'm not going to support a company that employs people like your driver".

That means the shop will take it seriously. Even if what you say isn't true, it will be true at some point - you will be turned off buying from that company in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

If you ring trafficwatch, an incident is generated which would be assigned to a guard in that district and then investigated, so this could be a good course of action to take.

Well, I'm currently equipping our house with furniture and I can't help but let this kind of thing colour my opinion of Diamond Living as an organisation.

If the OP can't come on here with some kind of reaction or resolution from DL, my opinion will remain, to DL's detriment. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I do hope they take this seriously and we get an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

OP should definitely report this incident to both the Gardai and employer.
    If you ring trafficwatch, an incident is generated which would be assigned to a guard in that district and then investigated, so this could be a good course of action to take.
    -Chris- wrote: »
    I have Trafficwatch (1890 205 805) saved in my phone, and I'd have no issue with calling them if an incident like this happened.

Yep, I'd recommend TrafficWatch over just calling into the station. I got the feeling that details taken at the station were generally filed in the bin. When you report something on TrafficWatch, the details are logged onto the system immediately at the call centre, and then passed to the local station for follow up.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    you could try reporting it to his company, but in my experience he'll get nothing more than a jokey quite word from the warehouse or transport manager.

Not necessarily - I reported dangerous driving by a McCambridges bread delivery van to the company earlier this year. I got a call back from one of the McCambridges, a director of the company, who was delighted to get the opportunity to raise this issue with ALL their van drivers, not just the offending one. It was a very professional response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Interesting account by Barry at worldwidecycles.com of a report made to a company about one of their drivers, and the response from the company:

http://worldwidecyclesblog.com/2009/04/08/we-sell-headstones-dot-com/

• Advertisement

I'm always amazed at the idiocy of some people. I mean, do they forget they are driving a mobile ad for their company when they embark on their little crusades?

I think taking a hard line is the way to go, like Barry says if emplyers felt their businesses were being threatened because one of their van drivers is acting like Mad Max around cyclists, they might discipline them (3 strikes?) or send them for a few advanced driving lessons. I don't want to see anyone lose a job, but if people were aware of the fact "I'm driving a van with my employer's business plastered all over it, I'll behave accordingly I have 2 strikes already", we'd see less dangerous driving.

It's like when I was at school, we were always told "when you wear the uniform you are representing the school" and sure enough any incidents were reported straight back to the school. Unfortunately a lot of this was simply going to get lunch in the local shopping centre, but we were eventually banned from the place because a few bad apples decided to hang around outside smoking and upsetting the old ladies doing their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Pred192

Do people driving by honking their horns at you irritate you??? It always makes me jump and I start to swerve breaking concentration.

I can be cycling on a non busy road (most common is maynooth to kilcock road) and people will drive by, slow down and stay beside me laying on their horns. This really annoys me and I can't stand it.

Also on the N4 if i'm on the hard shoulder (nicely tucked in) why do they feel the need to beep the horn at me?

I have had many near misses with bus side swiping me and cars pulling out without looking and I am forced to move onto the opposite side of traffic. Some can be apologetic and wave or mumble sorry so i wave back and nod that it's ok. I generally try to avoid trouble and continue on my way. But I find the people who drive alongside you and lay on the horns deserve a right kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Don't worry about what the guard at the desk thinks. This is a serious incident. It's in a different league to the frequent horn honking, finger giving and move on incidents. This driver actually threatened you, after he was done with his delay he took time out to endanger you again.

Definitely report it to the guards. Brayblue can confirm or deny but I've been told you need to make sure the guard at the station writes the incident in to the log book otherwise it's likely nothing will happen. There's a strong chance you'll get a game of pass the parcel too, make sure you know what station you need to to go (the one responsible for the area the incident took place in) and stick to your guns if they tell you to go elsewhere.

The reason you should report this even though they won't do anything is this. At some point in the future it's possible this driver will kill a cyclist. At that point he'll claim that he was driving down the road in a sedate and calm manner (listening to mass on his radio) and the cyclist swerved out in front of him with no warning. Assuming (which I think is fairly safe) that this guy makes a habit of this sort of thing, his trial will go quite differently if he has multiple complaints about threatening and deliberately endangering cyclists.

No harm complaining to Diamond Living as well, but not as a replacement for an official complaint.

Are records of dangerous driving "complaints" held on computer file linked to the accused driving license?

Pred192 wrote: »
    I can be cycling on a non busy road (most common is maynooth to kilcock road) and people will drive by, slow down and stay beside me laying on their horns. This really annoys me and I can't stand it.

I can't say that's ever happened to me.

How frequently does it happen to you? Can you think of any reason for it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's happened to me. Not regularly, but now and then. There is a certain type of person out there who thinks that just because they can't overtake you immediately, they should blast you out of it.

In my experience, they're the same people who'll shout at you to get off the road and onto the path, and 30 minutes later will be onto Joe complaining about daredevil cyclists nearly knocking down old ladies on the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Had the best excuse I've heard in a while from a driver at about 17.45 yesterday. She had suddenly swerved out of the middle lane of traffic, across the bus lane & cycle lane & nearly mashed the cyclist in front of me.

When confronted, her excuse was "but I'm a good driver, I check my mirrors".

I considered taking her details & reporting her - but I think she was so shaken up by the whole experience (mainly of two cyclists shouting at her) I'm pretty sure she won't make that mistake again.

I'm defo going to save the Traffic watch number in my phone - I'm not letting aggressive drivers like the one in the OP get away with that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rflynnr

@OP. This definitely needs to be reported. And here's why:

I read through the thread and only as I finished did the words "Diamond Living" make a connection. I had a very close call with one of their trucks about a year ago and about a week later witnessed someone else experiencing something similar.

On the first I was descending from Howth Head (south face) when a DL truck passed me but before it had cleared me indicated left and began to pull across me. I slowed but so did he and continued pulling across until he mounted the curb and parked. By this stage I'd been forced to stop, but when I started again, moving past the truck on the right, he pulled out without indicated forcing me across the white line. I gave the standard WTF look but the driver wound down the window and, neither aggressively nor apologetically, said that he hadn't seen me. I left it at that.

However, a week later, in almost the same spot I was passed by a rapidly descending cyclist (I was doing about 50kph so he was moving). However, he was followed by another DL truck (couldn't tell if it was the same driver) who began beeping the cyclist. When the cyclist maintained his line, the driver came right up behind the bike, still beeping. To his credit the cyclist remained unperturbed and the truck eventually simply overtook him. I caught with the cyclist at the Sutton Cross lights (the truck having disappeared) and said I was happy to act as a witness if he wanted to report it. He didn't so I left it.

I have no idea how many DL trucks there are but the OP's experience suggests my experiences were not isolated. With the benefit of hindsight I should have reported both previous incidences.

It's happened to me. Not regularly, but now and then. There is a certain type of person out there who thinks that just because they can't overtake you immediately, they should blast you out of it.

I got beeped by a 14A bus driver on Wyckham bypass on Monday morning. When I caught up with him, he told me that I was taking up his space on a bus lane when there was a 'perfectly good' cycle path beside me. I asked him if he has seen the 'bus lane not in use' signs that have been up there for about 2 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Pred192 wrote: »

I can honestly say that despite having cycled on that particular road a good few times, both alone and as part of a group, I've never had that happen to me. Having said that, there's plenty of space to keep in until a little past the cemetery coming from Maynooth, and there are straight sections after that to overtake on. I also make a conscious effort to wave cars on if they are behind me for any length, and I can see it's safe when they may not, even on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

poochiem wrote: »
    Was heading to cyclesuperstore this evening, starting from Francis st. Long story short a fat bollix in a white van lays on the horn behind me while I'm standing behind a car that is waiting to pull right onto The Coombe.

What county are you from ?, oh didnt realise this is the dublin forum and us boggers dont need to be addressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

johnnyjb wrote: »
    What county are you from ?, oh didnt realise this is the dublin forum and us boggers dont need to be addressed

Maybe I missed something in an earlier post, but, WTF?

Edit: oh I get it, every post needs to state what county it happened in. Charter change, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is there any point in ringing or dropping into guards? No physical damage was done.

If you are going to the Gardai, the following link might be of use to ya.
    Dangerous overtaking
    http://dublincycling.com/node/365

Its about Dangerous overtaking - but it has useful information in it if you are reporting on any situation to the Gardai

<quote>johnnyjb
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poochiem View Post
    Was heading to cyclesuperstore this evening, starting from <b>Francis st.</b> Long story short a fat bollix in a white van lays on the horn behind me while I'm standing behind a car that is waiting to pull right onto <b>The Coombe.</b>
    What county are you from ?, oh didnt realise this is the dublin forum and us boggers dont need to be addressed </Quote>

Raam wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something in an earlier post, but, WTF?

Edit: oh I get it, every post needs to state what county it happened in. Charter change, please.

I don't really get the joke Johnny b, maybe there's a francis st in Cork but I think there's only one Coombe in Ireland so there's no need to say 'in Dublin'. I'm from Galway so don't get notions about out-boggering me, boyo! :)

I tried the trafficwatch number yesterday but for some reason I can't call LoCall numbers from work and my mobile was running on empty so I'll give them a shout today now it's charged. Let you know the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

My personal preference is to ask somebody else to do it otherwise the prosecution isn't impartial-that's just my opinion by the way, but I would say it's best practise

• Advertisement

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Unless poochiem is an extremely loyal customer, undertaking journeys of hundreds of KM, surely, "Was heading to cyclesuperstore" gave his location away and set the context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I turned to him, point at the car in front of us and say what do you want? 'get off the ****in road', 'there's a car in front of us', 'youre slowin me up all the way down the street','there's a car in front of us'. so he continues to swear at me. The car pulls away and i got off the bike and stood in front of him, he threatened to run over my bike a couple of times, edging the van forwards over it (I had turned it sideways at this stage and was asking him how my getting off the road would have helped 'were you going to drive over the car?')

He drove off, I realised that all the girls in the polish hairdressers saw the whole thing, thats probably what stopped him actually driving over me. I took a minute to calm down. I'm very good with drivers, I wave them through, thank them at junctions etc so I am not aggressive at all, its why it upsets me when something like this happens (stupid of me to get bothered I know).

Cycled on and naturally passed him on cork st. He swapped lanes to give me a close drive-by(! seriously) but I left him for dead out the crumlin road. I made a point of stopping and taking his reg at the lights on cork st first. Diamond Living, white van 02 D reg, just beware of that if you see it, a big van, or a small lorry.

I'd say there's little point in reporting it, especially as you went out of your way to wind him up. I'd phone his boss, though.

I'd say there's little point in reporting it, especially as you went out of your way to wind him up. I'd phone his boss, though.

I hardly went out of my way - he was shouting and swearing at me while I was sandwiched between him and a stationary car in front of us, I'm not going to be bullied off the road by someone like that.

Anyways, I rang trafficwatch and the lady on the other end had a chat with an inspector before taking my report. Initially as I said there was no damage she thought it wasn't a Trafficwatch incident but when I said he had threatened to run over my bike she said that the inspector informed her to take the report and pass it on to Kevin St.

Thanks to Brayblue and the others for advice. If they have a chat with this fella and tell him to calm down sure wont that be some good done?

If they have a chat with this fella and tell him to calm down sure wont that be some good done?

Exactly, I think most people, even those with the worst road rage, are still quite reasonable (especially when confronted by AGS) and understand they may have been in the wrong. If he is now a little more patient and aware on the roads then it's a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Pred192

It doesn't happen to me too often. The worst was when a guy was with his wife (i would presume) and children and they were all laughing as he was laying on the horn, so i sprinted alongside him and exchanged some words and showed him a certain finger.

Honestly there wasn't any reason for it. I was on a casual stroll with my brother (he doesn't cycle often) and we were in the hard shoulder and my brother was cycling behind me catching my draft.

I also wave drivers on if they are behind me and i pull in as much as i can because i know on small roads it can be difficult and dangerous so i try to help them as much as i can.

• Advertisement

Just to update this. The lady on the phone at trafficwatch said that someone from Kevin St. GS would contact me but I've not heard a peep. Have other people used traffic watch?

I've read a couple of hair-raising stories on here recently and that horrendous article by Emer whatshername in the Sunday Indo can only encourage this ludicrous anti-cycling fervour that is being whipped up by some eejits.

I was talking to a bike Garda at the aldi sale yesterday and we were cut off in the bike lane by a taxi, he said that he has to put up with that all day and I understand he cant be tapping on every window getting into debates with cross drivers all day. Some of those lads have great patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

he said that he has to put up with that all day and I understand he cant be tapping on every window getting into debates with cross drivers all day. Some of those lads have great patience.
    really i thought that was his job. he really didnt pull that taxi over? was it a continuos white line, did the taxi indicate before entering another lane. that wasn't a gardai you met that was a waste of tax. shocking, how will bad driver ever learn if even a garai wont bother correcting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

This thread isn't looking good if the OP still hasn't had any response. I really want to start reporting all the people who break the lights (sometimes with people walking across) outside Donnybrook Fair, and I have still have the reg of some t*at who drove down the bus lane through red lights (skidding through I should say) as people walked by. Anyone have experience of Traffic Watch actually doing anything?

This thread isn't looking good if the OP still hasn't had any response. I really want to start reporting all the people who break the lights (sometimes with people walking across) outside Donnybrook Fair, and I have still have the reg of some t*at who drove down the bus lane through red lights (skidding through I should say) as people walked by. Anyone have experience of Traffic Watch actually doing anything?

Just to update this. The lady on the phone at trafficwatch said that someone from Kevin St. GS would contact me but I've not heard a peep. Have other people used traffic watch?
    Yes, I have used TW - usually I get a call back from the station fairly promptly. If you don't hear from them, you could call the Sgt or write to the local Inspector to hoosh them on a bit.
    I was talking to a bike Garda at the aldi sale yesterday and we were cut off in the bike lane by a taxi, he said that he has to put up with that all day and I understand he cant be tapping on every window getting into debates with cross drivers all day. Some of those lads have great patience.

I don't think patience is the virtue I want from Gardai. A little bit of impatience with drivers like this (and with bad cyclists) would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

chakattack wrote: »

Oh yeah I doubt the Guards will be able to do anything with no evidence unless you can get the polish girls to help with a statement. However I"m sure the good folks at diamond living will love to hear how their drivers are such patient and courteous drivers....

Probably better to get onto Diamond Living. They don't want to get a bad rep in recessionary times. Maybe tell them if you don't get a written apology from the driver you'll take it to the highest court in the land... Joe Duffy

Well out of the blue I got a phone call late weds night from a Garda in Kevin st to say that he tracked down the van driver and gave him a stern caution. The garda (I didnt catch his name as I was actually asleep when the phone rang) explained that the driver was very contrite and when I went on to explain that it was other boardsies experiences of seeing the same driver engaged in dangerous driving that prompted my report, we both agreed that hopefully his caution would do society some service.

Fair play to the Gardai on this and I promised the lad that I'd mention it on Boards.

Advertisement