Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (old) tank

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

So I went home and got the old tank from the attic earlier. Its at least 20 years old, was my grandfather's. I don't really remember what was in it, definitely Neon Tetras. There were two identical ones, the other was donated to a local school.

I then used it for about 5 years as a gerbil tank before it went back in the attic for 10+ years.

Anyway I couldn't find anything else so all I have is a glass box. Spent the last while cleaning it out.

Its 60 x 30.5 x 38 cm or about 60-65 litres if leaving some space at the top.

SAM_0374.jpg
    SAM_0373.jpg

Now just need to figure out what I want to put in it and how much it'll all cost for the bits and pieces (and fish) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Nice tank. Any ideas yet on what to keep in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'm sure u prob have but have you tested it for leaks before u go ahead and start using it...

I foolishly skipped that part once and got up one morning to find 40ltrs of water on the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Noopti wrote: »
    Nice tank. Any ideas yet on what to keep in it?

I'd rather a shoal of smaller fish like the Tetras than larger ones.
    A good bit of greenery too. I haven't though much about it further than that so far. The creation of this forum was what finally decided to make me go and get it after years of thinking I should but never quite getting there.

But as I've said my knowledge base is a bit thin, plenty of research required first to see what will suit, whether I'll nedd to go hot or cold, will be fresh water I think just to keep it simpler anyway
    unklerosco wrote: »
    I'm sure u prob have but have you tested it for leaks before u go ahead and start using it...

I foolishly skipped that part once and got up one morning to find 40ltrs of water on the floor...

it didn't leak with the reasonable small amount of water involved in the cleaning, I'll fill it a bit more tonite and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

Rummy Nose Tetras are really good shoalers, I've got a few and they just cruise around my tank in a pack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rummy-nose_tetra

Not too colourful but interesting to watch.

Its sitting in the bath now, full of water with a marked line around it at the moment. :D
    hopefully it'll be at the same level tomorrow after work?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Im proud of you Cookie Monster

You said you would do it and you did :)

WIZE wrote: »
    Im proud of you Cookie Monster
    You said you would do it and you did :)

I'll stick a pic up later but added gravel and water in today. Have a filter and heater and some fake plants ready to go.

Need to get a lid though. Was down in Fish antics earlier and they said they should be able to get me one.

So in the meantime I've filled it with tap water and will add in some AmQuel+ as advised by the guy in fish antics to clean it out. Then will stick the heater and filter in during the week.

Once lid is in place some real plants will be added, with some other furniture
    (I want the sunken WW2 battleship but the girlfriends not too keen) so we'll see what we end up with. Fish will come in a few weeks

EDIT: now with photos :)
    SAM_0376.jpg
    SAM_0375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is the gravel u have in that the shiny black stuff?? If so be carefull if ur getting any bottom feeding fish/catfish etc... The edges of that stuff can be fairly sharp..

Rummy nose tetras are pretty cool, got 5 the other day n they all zip around the tank together.. gonna get some more tomorrow.

Stuck in the filter (less the bio one for the next day or two to allow chlorine etc to be tidied up) and heater (not on) to get some water movement so the added stuff will mix in fully and get a feel for how it looks.

I think they be moved to opposite end so out of the way from main viewing angle. Tidies up the wires too
    SAM_0377.jpg

Thanks for the support and comments, all. I hope to continue to stick up progress and pics. Hopefully it may inspire others too :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Chlorine is so volatile that in a couple of hours most of it will have dissolved out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

I would have re sealed the tank before using it.
    It might burst its seals being so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Looking good!

Right so.

Heater and filter in and on.
    Not got a testing kit as yet but will pick one up next Monday when I pick up the lid and light.

With the cycling do I need to do anything in the next week?
    Do I need to change the water or is it better to leave it a few days before changing some of it. Will the "Biomax" stuff provided with the filter be ok to kick it all off, or do I need to add anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Right so.

Heater and filter in and on.
    Not got a testing kit as yet but will pick one up next Monday when I pick up the lid and light.

With the cycling do I need to do anything in the next week?
    Do I need to change the water or is it better to leave it a few days before changing some of it. Will the "Biomax" stuff provided with the filter be ok to kick it all off, or do I need to add anything.

Just add small bits of food every second day to start things off. Ask Gav for some filter media

godtabh wrote: »
    Just add small bits of food every second day to start things off. Ask Gav for some filter media

who's Gav:confused:
    EDIT: D'oh, I presume he's one of the lads in Fish Antics. Was talking to a guy called Simon.

who's Gav:confused:
    EDIT: D'oh, I presume he's one of the lads in Fish Antics. Was talking to a guy called Simon.

Gav works for FFF. Though you said you lived near there?

Gav works for FFF. Though you said you lived near there?

Not me, I'm in Cabinteely, south Dublin

Was in Seahorse Aquariums over the weekend scoping out some fishy candidates. Still not fully decided.

Picked up 2 live plants so at least have something in the tank for the moment :)

Still needs some thing to provide a bit more cover, was thinking a terracotta pot & some wood or similar.

Ammonia levels just started to kick off yesterday

Lid and light arrived today, brightens it up nicely :)
    Now just need a backing, a bit of slate from home and maybe a flowerpot (and fish of course)

SAM_0380.jpg

Filter has been in there since day 1, that's it on the right of the tank blowing bubbles out :)
    EDIT: this kinda makes no sense now as the question was deleted...

• Advertisement

The plants have only been in the tank 2 weeks now but they've gone mental. You could probably watch the leaves grow they growing that fast. In the last week one of them has "launched" 3 separate new leaves, the second of which is already nearly 2 inches long :eek:

Must be something in the water :D

I'd constantly have to cut the plants in one of my tanks. The grow like mad things in the right conditions. Buy small and cheap and let them grow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Photos look great, well done Cookie.

the fish are as usual hiding away at the back

SAM_0384.jpg

Cory's :D
    they're mental

SAM_0395.jpg

all change, sand put in instead of the gravel for the corys. and a bit or re-arranging while at it. Almighty mess created while changing both in and out of the tank :o:p

SAM_0411.jpg

Thats a big change!

Thats a big change!

totally worth it though. it's better for the fish and look far better also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

Looks way better now lad!

• Advertisement

what substrate is it?

Advertisement