Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slugs in garden...lungworm danger?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm new to this forum:). We bought a gorgeous little Jack Russell puppy last week. I read in the vet's waiting room today that slugs and snails carry a risk of lungworm. Our garden's full of the little b*stards:mad:.

How old do pups have to be before treating for it does anyone know? I never thought of asking. I know there's stuff you can get to rub on the back of their necks to prevent it but as he was already having a worm dose and a vaccine today, I didn't want to overload his little immune system. We only let him out to go to the toilet but my nerves will be gone watching him sniffing about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I'm paranoid as hell about it after being at the Pet expo where the had a stand highlighting the dangers of slugs & pets.

I think the main risk is not from the dog eating the slug but from the slug crawling over the dogs toys, bones, food bowls etc I just make sure none of the dogs stuff is left on the ground over night and try and bin any slugs I see in the garden

A guy in Australia died this year after eating a slug for a bet. It was just a normal garden slug.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Milbemax (a broad spectrum worm tablet) will kill lungworm, as will Advocate (one of the spot on solutions available). Both of these are suitable for pups, just make sure you weigh your dog and dose accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I give my dog his worm meds every 3 months but only give him the one for lung work every second round as the vet nurse didn't seem that worried by it! am i wrong shoulf i give him advocate every time?

I don't think it's necessary and would worry too much about lungworm (not yet anyway). The drug companies are the ones promoting awareness, as it obviously means they can sell more products, but so far anyway, I don't think it's a huge problem in Ireland. If you are worried your dog has it, I'm sure there are tests available (like your vet sending off a sample for analysis).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I agree with Wisco, plus a standard flea treatment like Advocate will deal with the lungworm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I agree with Wisco, plus a standard flea treatment like Advocate will deal with the lungworm as well.

I thought Advocate was for fleas and worms and thats why it costs so much?! Should I be worming our guy too?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A guy in Australia died this year after eating a slug for a bet. It was just a normal garden slug.

Hes not dead, still in a coma as far as I know.
    He is Australian, but I am not sure he actually ate the slug in Aus. Either way the lungworm is prevalant everywhere, however it doesnt always cause such a severe reaction.

tk123 wrote: »
    I thought Advocate was for fleas and worms and thats why it costs so much?! Should I be worming our guy too?:confused:

It is a flea + worm treatment, don't worry. Advantage (also made by Bayer) is fleas only. However, it does not treat tapeworms so you should use a more broad spectrum wormer on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Wisco wrote: »
    Milbemax (a broad spectrum worm tablet) will kill lungworm, as will Advocate (one of the spot on solutions available). Both of these are suitable for pups, just make sure you weigh your dog and dose accurately.

He's already had two worm doses but not for lungworm. Is Advocate the stuff you rub into the back of the neck? Does it matter how old the dog is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ann22 wrote: »
    He's already had two worm doses but not for lungworm. Is Advocate the stuff you rub into the back of the neck? Does it matter how old the dog is?

Most treatments have a minmum age that they can be used - thus the reason there are puppy versions of products available. Advocate is a spot on product (ie. you drop it on a spot on the back of your dogs neck and leave for several hours, no rubbing etc. needed). I don't know what age it can be used from but the best person to ask is your vet. If you give them a buzz someone (a nurse of a vet) should be able to tell you whether you should worm the pup again and what to use - they need to be done very regularly so it may not be a bad idea - or to use another method of getting rid of lungworm. Puppies can be very sensitive to chemical products so I would ring the vet to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Most treatments have a minmum age that they can be used - thus the reason there are puppy versions of products available. Advocate is a spot on product (ie. you drop it on a spot on the back of your dogs neck and leave for several hours, no rubbing etc. needed). I don't know what age it can be used from but the best person to ask is your vet. If you give them a buzz someone (a nurse of a vet) should be able to tell you whether you should worm the pup again and what to use - they need to be done very regularly so it may not be a bad idea - or to use another method of getting rid of lungworm. Puppies can be very sensitive to chemical products so I would ring the vet to make sure.

Thanks Lorebringer, the vet didn't seem to be worried about it, she hasn't seen the humungous slugs in our garden though:eek:. I've to take him back on 15th for his next vaccination. If Advocate is something I can apply myself I'll buy some to treat him myself. 'Til then I'll have to keep a close eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Advocate the spot on on the back of the neck treats lungworm, I bought some the other week and there were leaflets on it and I asked just to be sure.

I would be careful though putting too many different treatments on your pup could make him sick, puppies are very sensative. I use wormers/flea treatments sparingly they can be pretty harsh on a dogs system.
    You could easily over dose a dog and make them ill so best just to talk to your vet.

There's a gentle wormer called Parazole as well can't rememeber if it treats lungworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy has been on Advocate since he was a small puppy - just make sure the pup is being weighed so it's the right strength! It drives me mad thou the way it kind of runs down his coat - even when I put it on in 4 places like the leaflet says - in fairness fleas would annoy me more :pac:

Advertisement