Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards remix competition?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Anyone up for having a remix competition between us all here? I've seen this work on other board, basically we just pick a track, or maybe a track with the stems available for download, and all have a go remixing it, and see what we come up with!

Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Sounds great ;)

Not many dance tracks would have stems also (unless we'd be looking at vocal based) - so midi parts / loops would be most probably the best way to go.

Should we create a vote for the general genre people would most like to remix? or want me to go find something random for people to pick on? (and maybe come up with so sort of prize for best effort?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Oh good stuff, sounds like could be interesting.

Would be well up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Well there's a thread here on another board with a list of remix competitions, and there also this twitter, http://twitter.com/remixcomps, so maybe someone could look through them and find something interesting? Or we could just choose something to do a bootleg of?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'd be up for it definately!

be a great way of seeing how it turns out, and say for instance, if the track is bit mellow, it'd be great to see how other people mix it....i.e.... harder, mellower, change some stuff around completely.....

Deffo Interested!

I think bootleg :) - we can find some midi, tidy it up into a short loop (to keep it simple) and go from there. With maybe a post to youtube of the original so people have a reference.

• Advertisement

I vote mr jazz picks the track...

DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

if you lot would like i can provide the parts to an old rhythm technologies release.. although it might be a little genre specific being hard techno :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

if you lot would like i can provide the parts to an old rhythm technologies release.. although it might be a little genre specific being hard techno :confused:

Could be interesting though to see what people might make out it? See if it could be twisted around into house, electro or dubstep? Or would that be sacrilege?

wouldnt bother me at all.

i dont do rhythmtech stuff any more and it would be interesting to hear what others make of it!

Cheers for the offer of personal stuff - send me some youtube links / soundcloud for tracks you'd have midi of?

What i'd think might be a little more fun would be to pick something that's fairly established and well know (even cheesy) with strong hooks/melodies for people to get on with.

Plus also trying to think of a prize, or maybe even help push it out there on the net as a 'best of boards'

What do you guys want? - time?, exposure?, 20 euros? ;)

I think giving it a good long time to submit the mixes also (like a mix a month, 3 weeks to complete, a week to judge)?

Also, could tie in with the DJ forum for voting maybe :) - then it's in the hands of the people who'd actually be buying/using the material.

• Advertisement

check my sig. theres old label stuff up on both as far as i remember.

what about one of your old ones neuro?

Someone just mailed me and just want to outline some rules that would have to be stuck with to stop potential issues / legalities.

The remixes can be of well known material, but will be midi only - if you decide to sample off the original tracks you will be liable to report to the relevant associations/publishers that you've used copyrighted material.

There is a work around - we stick to midi and will personally make sure that the midi data is only a representation of the original works and not an original midi file.

This gives you a bit more freedom to self promote with the mixes and you can even feasibly goto a label with it (and from boards experience and posts! - NOT the label the original track was created on)

You could goto the original label with the mix, but they may shelve it and you get mileage, promotion or recognition from it.

To steer clear of falling foul of the law surrounding the music used, all credits must still remain to the original artists/writers on the files and id2/3 tags on mp3.

I/We can attempt to help with contacting agencies for the winners to get any of this cleared up should they decide they want this 'out there'

In this way we can showcase talent without ripping the original artist off, but give you (as the remixer) some control over it still - (as it's essentially an asset to the original label)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

you can avoid all the legal issues (which makes it not as fun) by simply just getting someone to make you a track and give you the parts. pick someone from the boards, or (suggestion)get 5 mods to make 5 parts or to forward 5 random sounds etc . taking other already establish work makes things too easy and will all sound too the same.

if you get someone to make you some very odd sounds that have absolutely no musical rhythm or what ever, it makes the thing more interesting and fun.

throwing out some loops or midi just gives everyone a nice easy chance to sync it to their own material.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

you could just do a remix of an artist that has released stems for remixes, like radiohead did with nude and reckoner, tho you had to buy them, if you wanted to

there's a few floating around like ladyhawke - back of the van, crappy song but that's the beauty of remixing :)

or just pick one from here

http://www.remixstems.com/

you could just do a remix of an artist that has released stems for remixes, like radiohead did with nude and reckoner, tho you had to buy them, if you wanted to

there's a few floating around like ladyhawke - back of the van, crappy song but that's the beauty of remixing :)

or just pick one from here

http://www.remixstems.com/

This is why midi would be best (avoid vocal or pre-recorded content) - in my opinion. Using stems just becomes troublesome, and shuts off a lot of opportunities.

Just for those that don't know, i deal with this sort of thing regularly as many, many people have remixed my own material and also have done remixes of other people, have even used lawyers etc... to deal with usage problems and learned the hard way about this game ;)

I know it's only a competition, but would want to give the people taking part something they can use in their portfolio of material without any worries or problems down the line.

I'll have a word with Stuart about older Binary material for remixes - but would rather do a bigger competition for that stuff (getting all involved a lot of publicity)

I'd rather remain impartial and just pick something out with fundamental parts to start with for a competition (to get warmed up) and then some 'challenge' ones later that present you with some typical problems you'd encounter when asked to do remixes (so keeping things real to life)

I can also maybe rope in some larger labels to comment / vote - which would be fun :)

Let's say it would operate like this... people submit names via PM to myself, i'll set up a vote after that point after midi is made/sourced and then after 3-4 days the top winner gets supplied to all those interested.

People then submit via 'yousendit' or private soundcloud links with downloads enabled and then they will be hosted on the boards.ie soundcloud and opened publicly for voting once a deadline is reached.

I'd say people like Damaged, Myself, JT, Sean (anyone who releases already) would be pulled in on the 'tear it to pieces' session where we pick out the strongest track.

We might be able to rope in some people from the MP forum who might like a crack at it and if lucky some of the bigger studio heads might be able to chip in some solid advice for the winners as a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Well we can just avoid any legal issues, and pick any well known track to bootleg, by assuming no-one's actually going to release the remix and it'll just be a bit of craic.

I think a classic 90s pop/house tune would be perfect. I did a bootleg of Inner City - Good Life, and it was good fun to do. Something like that maybe.

Edit: Just saw your post. Ah, this is going to be better than expected! I'm up for that! I'm happy with anything really, just make sure there's a good lot of parts so there's decent scope for using bits and leaving others.

Neurojazz wrote: »

I'd say people like Damaged, Myself, JT, Sean (anyone who releases already) would be pulled in on the 'tear it to pieces' session where we pick out the strongest track.

yup, ill definitly give a dig out with it if you need the help neuro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Sounds like fun.. id have a crack at it too..

Yep!

Deffo gonna have a crack at this! Love the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

i think that's a great idea. would be well on for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Sounds like a splendiforus endeavour. Count me in once I get rid of this ear infection…:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Might have a go myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ok so whos goona get the ball rolling? jazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Hey guys sorry to chime in here late

but have any of you heard of http://foem.info/

theres remix competitions there all the time

we could all just enter one of them, get the stems then share our remixes here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Great idea lads. Count me in.

SteveDon wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry to chime in here late

but have any of you heard of http://foem.info/

theres remix competitions there all the time

we could all just enter one of them, get the stems then share our remixes here

That's a nice site - but we are trying to stay away from stems - as per the previous posts outlined. But could maybe pick on one of these for a crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

There's one or two sites out there that post midi for ringtones - using General Midi.

They're kind of patchy. I downloaded Beyonce Crazy in Love in General Midi to see what it's be like. It's interesting enough someone went to the bother of working it out in GM.

I think there was a time when there was a serious market for GM stuff. For Karaokesque type things.

krd wrote: »
    There's one or two sites out there that post midi for ringtones - using General Midi.

They're kind of patchy. I downloaded Beyonce Crazy in Love in General Midi to see what it's be like. It's interesting enough someone went to the bother of working it out in GM.

I think there was a time when there was a serious market for GM stuff. For Karaokesque type things.

Check the midi files thread - have posted a list - pick one! /PM me the name or post name here...

Will tidy and stick a thread once we get going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

any movement on this ?

• Advertisement

romarr wrote: »
    any movement on this ?

Just was hoping for a few more suggestions, but will call it on Sunday i think and post up files for first remix to be finished by end of next week :)

Advertisement