Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best newspaper headline ever

• 01-09-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭

I was just watching Newsnight on BBC1, and they did their usual preview of the UK newspaper front pages for tomorrow. The final one was The Times, which leads its front page with:

HAWKING: GOD DID NOT CREATE UNIVERSE

What a brilliant headline!

Now, while I don't think this revelation is "news" to anyone here, I just think that in an age where the most frivolous celebrity gossip dominates our media, and on a day where the suggestion of two men sharing a hotel room has cost one his job, such an article as the lead story in a major newspaper is a welcome blast of rationality. Enjoy it while it lasts.

15711034.jpg

(you need a subscription to view the article online, but the first paragraph of it can be seen here, although the headline is different on the online version)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's silly alright!

The front guy from The Darkness is hardly newsworthy these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nope. This is the best -

super-caley-sunheadline203.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

phutyle wrote: »
    HAWKING: GOD DID NOT CREATE THE UNIVERSE

Well I'm convinced anyway. :)

I can totally imagine him saying it in his robot voice, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Nope. This is the best -

super-caley-sunheadline203.jpg

Aw, I was gonna post that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing.

Oh...ohhhh this is gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh...ohhhh this is gold.

I'd have gone for Frankincense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

sumo.jpeg

ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Good year for rail safety despite crashes

Re Hawking so a physicist believes in physics. Whats tomorrows headline? Mr Kipling likes cakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

cavedave wrote: »
    Re Hawking so a physicist believes in physics. Whats tomorrows headline? Mr Kipling likes cakes?

He previously stated though that there was a great possibility of god though, didn't he?

And that Mr.Kipling thing is ridiculous. Don't you know the cake is a lie?...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Hawking makes good headlines!
    stephen-hawking-horror.jpg?w=400&h=533

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Trust the Christian to set the blaspheming intellectual on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

PDN wrote: »
    Hawking makes good headlines!
    stephen-hawking-horror.jpg?w=400&h=533

... o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I feel awful for laughing at that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

phutyle wrote: »
    I was just watching Newsnight on BBC1, and they did their usual preview of the UK newspaper front pages for tomorrow. The final one was The Times, which leads its front page with:

HAWKING: GOD DID NOT CREATE UNIVERSE

What a brilliant headline!

Now, while I don't think this revelation is "news" to anyone here, I just think that in an age where the most frivolous celebrity gossip dominates our media, and on a day where the suggestion of two men sharing a hotel room has cost one his job, such an article as the lead story in a major newspaper is a welcome blast of rationality. Enjoy it while it lasts.

15711034.jpg

(you need a subscription to view the article online, but the first paragraph of it can be seen here, although the headline is different on the online version)

cant you just imagine all the cardinals gathering in the situation room in the Vatican, discussing how to deal with the situation! LOL Bennie is probably unsubscribing from the times as we speak! :D

Which Indo person will try to out logic Hawking, Quinn or Myers (although in fairness to the latter, he seems busy withthe metro North crusade)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    Which Indo person will try to out logic Hawking, Quinn or Myers (although in fairness to the latter, he seems busy withthe metro North crusade)?

Quinn of course:

But why is there matter?
    Why is there matter?
    The bible doesn't state that.
    Why is there matter.

Sadly religion is like hydra cuts off its head and two more stupid beliefs will grow back.

No doubt the fact that this is all still just "theory" will be paraded about as an actual rebuttal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dades wrote: »
    No doubt the fact that this is all still just "theory" will be paraded about as an actual rebuttal.

I don't see anything that needs to be rebutted.

Hawking's theory suggests that:

1. The origin of the universe can be explained without reference to God.
    2. Therefore there is no 'need' for God.
    3. Therefore there is 'no room' for God.

So, even assuming (1) were to be correct, is it necessary to point out the light-years sized leap of logic required to get from (2) to (3)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jackie hayden in hot press tried to get jack charlton to interview brendan behan's surviving brothers, simply so he could use 'jack and the behans talk' as a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So, even assuming (1) were to be correct, is it necessary to point out the light-years sized leap of logic required to get from (2) to (3)?

Not at all. If the origin of the Universe can be explained without reference to god of course there is no room for god in the theoretical physics of how the universe originated. Putting god (or any supernatural omnipotent entity) in there somewhere just means you no longer have to find another cause or explanation. Why try to work out why or how dark energy exists if you could just call it the breathe of god and move on to the next problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hawking's theory suggests that:

Surely the problem was some believers saying that they were fine with (accepted) evolution and fine with (accepted) big bang theory but science still couldn't show how the universe was created without God. Now it might be possible to offer a plausible alternative which will hopefully over years be studied and reinforced like the two theories I mentioned previously. Hopefully then with that gap filled less will believe.

Well certainly here we've have a bunch or recent visiting posters who claim that because "something can't come from nothing - God must exist".

At least now we can say, well, according to one of the biggest brains on the planet - "it possibly can".

ARGUMENT FROM AUTHORITY:pac:

Advertisement