Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you every had a staff member in Abrakebabra try to convence you that pink meat i

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

This evening after buying a kebab in Abrakebabra Letterkenny and taking a bit out of it I found that the meat was pink. I returned to the counter with the kebab where the staff member told me that after a half an hour in the bain-marie the meat can turn that colour and then said to me if I don’t believe her I can call the manager because she has worked there for 3 years and she should know. I must say that I was shocked that someone working in a food establishment would try to convince me to eat what was obviously under cooked meat. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

dont eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

You could always take it up with the manager.

Never heard of any food posioning from Abra though :/

Everybody knows unfortunately the customer is always right so you could just keep arguing and arguing and they will end up giving you replacemnet food.

Unless you were drunk at the time of purchase and then well....it could be argued that you were seeing things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

Maybe that was the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Had that happen in a chinese once
    friend had chicken skewers, all fine but one, mentioned it when handing up the plate "by the way that one was raw"
    they started on some spiel "oh we fried it then microwaved then fried it so it must be sauce"
    eh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I could get fried for this.

What the staff member meant is that the meat had been in the bainmarie and that the colour was boiled out of the meat.

This happens with composite meats like kebab or poor quality burgers they take on a pinkish colour.

This happens in badly run premises and it should never be served to a customer.

There are various reasons it happens, too much water in the bainmarie and the steam condenses on the bainmaire lid and leaks into the actual meat holding pan.
    Water being added directly onto the meat in the bainmarie to keep it moist.
    Meat being held for far longer that the 90 minutes allowed by regulations.

In any case you should have been offered a fresh cut kebab or your money back no questions and no trying to justify the event by a staff member.

Pink chicken is a different story you can actually have chicken thats fully cooked and still appear pink/purpleish.

If you get several bits of chicken on a stick I'd imagine all had been cooked at the same time and none should be raw.

We were always told that if a customer mentions the chicken looked a bit pink ( we operated under strict HACCP regulations) explain that (and this is true) some processors marinate the raw chicken in salt water the combination of salt and minerals in the water can change the flesh colour of the meat and its most noticable in the legs and thighs.

No customer should ever eat something they think might be a bit dodgy.

The rule as always is if in doubt ...............shout.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I could get fried for this.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ferfer15

I didn´t know that abakebabra kebab was meat....

Anyway, one day in abra kildare town, a fat staff man tried to convence me that: the meal (burguer, chips and coke 6 euros) was different to my order (burguer, chip and coke 8 euros) because if I want the meal i have to say to him the word "meal".
    i didn´t pay and i went, with the man behind me triing to convence me about "my" fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CarnTorres

duffflash wrote: »
    This evening after buying a kebab in Abrakebabra Letterkenny and taking a bit out of it I found that the meat was pink. I returned to the counter with the kebab where the staff member told me that after a half an hour in the bain-marie the meat can turn that colour and then said to me if I don’t believe her I can call the manager because she has worked there for 3 years and she should know. I must say that I was shocked that someone working in a food establishment would try to convince me to eat what was obviously under cooked meat. What should I do?

At least she made the effort to convince you, been at chip vans where it was take it or leave it

Advertisement