Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postering in UCD

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

I can't find the rant thread, so ima gonna bitch in here.

WTF is the problem with people these days. Why can't we just put up posters at normal times of the ****ing day. Why does competition drive us to stupidity. Makes me furious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 n7sen

Are they still putting them posters up early in the morning? I remember getting buses to UCD really early year or so ago, me and my friend would be in UCD at 8am, half asleep and people are running around sticking posters on the walls near main library.:o never drove me crazy though. i guess I wasn't awake at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Ah sure it's not like anybody cool even looks at posters anyway. :pac:

The only posters I looked at where posters of debates with interesting titles and ones with good-looking election candidates on them.
    This is the simple truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Why do they stand there with the poster and cellotape in their hands and suddenly burst off into a panic to put them up like its a race ,fools.

I saw some D4 idiot do that before in the morning and nearly knocked an elderly woman off her feet(don't know why a pensioner was walking outside the library).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The reason posters go up at insane hours is because the rip happens at an insane hour and all the space becomes free. Since everyone wants to get the best spots, they show up at the insane hours and start postering as soon as the rip is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I think they aren't allowed to do it until a certain time - I was there at 8.25 one day and someone had posters up and someone (else) was walking around tearing them down...then they says okay go and everyone put them up..something to do with the space for the posters or something.

Was rather bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

There's a shout at a certain time and before that you're not allowed to start.. So if your society wants space, they need to be there when that shout comes (half 8 ish)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Please don't say the "go ahead" time for putting up posters has gotten earlier this year? . . . :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It used to be much easier until some "people" decided that posters took away from the architecture aka grey walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

it is great craic the way they all go up with almost miltary precision in about 15 minutes and the way it's almost predatory how people steal and stalk the rippers looking for space.

if it helps,just wait until a normal time and put them up at your leisure there's always a few ripped after morning lectures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I'm dreading this. There's me, and 8 girls on the committee and I ain't no male athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It would make alot more sense for societies to be limited to a certain number of posters. Unfortunately the bloke who supplies the posters to the students does them in batches of 300 so most go in the bin, the big societies blanket the place. It also dosnt help that the guy who supplies the posters is also mates with the guy who makes the postering rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The time itself hasn't got much earlier, I believe its between 8:00 and 8:30, however a recent change is randomness. Its just any time between 8 and 8:30. I don't know why, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

To whoever said having girls on a committee was bad, don't worry too much. Yes running is important, but whats more important is being able to stick posters up quickly and well. Girls seem pretty good at that in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Grimes wrote: »
    It would make alot more sense for societies to be limited to a certain number of posters. Unfortunately the bloke who supplies the posters to the students does them in batches of 300 so most go in the bin, the big societies blanket the place. It also dosnt help that the guy who supplies the posters is also mates with the guy who makes the postering rules.

I agree, the big societies poster swamp the place, camouflaging any decent smaller event thats on. There should be a smaller societies noticeboard in a few places around campus where the smaller societies could put one of their posters up.

That being said I'm moving to a University with some character in its architecture, not concrete sparse walls so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I agree, the big societies poster swamp the place, camouflaging any decent smaller event thats on. There should be a smaller societies noticeboard in a few places around campus where the smaller societies could put one of their posters up.

There should be rules- if there's more than one of a poster on a pillar, the others can be ripped down. I hate the blanket covering too, and small societies have more events I'm interested in.
    That being said I'm moving to a University with some character in its architecture, not concrete sparse walls so meh.

I'm sure there are poster boards in every university, maybe just not in the tourist areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

rantyface wrote: »
    There should be rules- if there's more than one of a poster on a pillar, the others can be ripped down. I hate the blanket covering too, and small societies have more events I'm interested in.
    There are rules.. max. 6 posters per society per board

Advertisement