Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you do plc if you've failed leaving?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi.

I only got 50 points in my leaving cert and only passed 3 subjects. I don't want to have to repeat my leaving and was wondering if its possible to do a plc course or go to a private college instead.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i think you can ,i got in and i had gotten low points in the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

It depends on the course and also the PLC college you apply to.

Most are very full at this stage and are only accepting applications for waiting list places. You have a better chance of getting in with 5 passes in a Leaving Cert. Copmpetition is very intense for places in FE/PLC as well as for courses on the CAO and since you only passed 3 subjects I think you should seriously consider repeating unless circumstances do not permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

Hi.

I only got 50 points in my leaving cert and only passed 3 subjects. I don't want to have to repeat my leaving and was wondering if its possible to do a plc course or go to a private college instead.:confused:

The answer is yes, PLC is mainly for those who did not do well in the Leaving Certificate and mature students. Its 100% possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's also possible to go to college if you have failed your Leaving, or indeed, never attempted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

My friend did a plc in social studies, and she had left school after her junior cert.

I think in general they say that early school leavers will be considered if they have relevant experience or a keen interest in the subject area of the course.[They give interviews I think]

Tbh the majority of people I know who did a PLC course never even did their leaving cert, so the name "plc" is abit misleading.

Try as soon as possible to find a place, cos I think a lot of them start in september.
    They are a great alternative route into college. The friend I mentioned went on to study social studies in college, and has done very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement