Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smog masks???

Options
  • 02-09-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm gonna get a smog mask, as cycling in the city (Dublin) the past few years has had an affect on me. Does anyone have any experience or a good brand to go for? Or does anyone have any brand or type not to go for? Pointers? Cheers,

Will
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i used to use (an older versiuon of one of these)
    http://www.respro.com/products/sports-leisure/street-cycling/sportsta_mask/

when i commuted in derby (clogged city streets ) in fact it still gets used now when i need a mask

best thing is it freaks out car drivers as well !

i was getting very bad colds and hay fever (i think increased by the pollution as it stopped once i started wearing the mask)

no point now a whole 5 cars passed me this morning (and 3 of them wear queing in the town !)

anyway respro masks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Cheers, Ednwireland. That looks pretty nice and is cheaper than i thought, for such a niche item. I assume is good with traffic pollution, as well as pollen?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Respro.

I used one of these as well when I would cycle in Dublin city.
    Just remember to change the filter when required.

MiCk B. :-)

How often do you change them? Is it pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

•Filters Out Exhaust Emissions and Sub-Micron Particulates

filters are £14.99 for 2 on their website

from their website
    i used to change them when they got disgusting !
    Filters
    The filter materials used in Respro masks were primarily developed for use in military applications requiring excellent filtration properties yet at the same time requiring an air flow efficiency that would not impede the user's activity.

Respro use the same filter materials in their masks to accommodate the filtration of a wide spectrum of pollutants that are found in the urban, country and home environments.

Each mask has a complimentary filter type for individual activities and Respro have designed the filters so that they are also interchangeable within other Respro masks allowing customisation for more specific applications.

Respro filters are also of benefit for people who suffer from breathing difficulties having either particle or chemical sensitive respiratory systems. However, it is always prudent to take advice from your doctor if you are considering adding a mask to your health improvement programme.

As well as consumer applications the The Respro FB-1 mask and the Sportsta masks are used and specified for industrial applications and conform to European Standard EN149 FFP1 for particulate material including water based aerosols.

The filter lifespan is based on the characteristics of the active urban cyclist.

1.Half hour journey to work half hour back
    2.A breathing rate of 30 litres of air per minute
    3.Pollution levels where the WHO (World Health Organisation) guidelines recommend that the average citizen should wear some form of respiratory protection.
    On this basis we recommend that the filter be changed every 69 hours of use in the environment.

• Advertisement

That sounds reasonable enough. Cheers for the info, much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I have a respro scarf with the filter built in. It's all black.

I wore it once but do the majority of my training away from the city centre/heavy traffic so I don't need it.

http://www.respro.com/products/urban-commuting/walking/bandit_mask/

Your's for a tenner if you want it.

Advertisement