Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Shambles at O2??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So according to that article Stinson is blaming Axl rather than the crowd! Not that it'll make a difference to MCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mod Note: I appreciate that people's feelings are running high after the gig but that doesn't entitle anyone to start name calling people or businesses so don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I hate to say this, but it's true.

The only way to get this spoken about the the right circles is the Joe Duffy Show.

It's Radio 1 at the end of the day and the only radio show that we might get some answers on.

Specifically, why they showed so late and was the curfew extended without letting the audience know.

Also, why some people were told to go home, I believe someone said they had video evidence of that?

Maybe it could be uploaded to YouTube and link sent to joe@rte.ie.

At the end of the day, there is shag all else that there is to do, to try and get answers.
    +1. Swallow the pride and scorn and tell it to Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I hate to say this, but it's true.

The only way to get this spoken about the the right circles is the Joe Duffy Show.

It's Radio 1 at the end of the day and the only radio show that we might get some answers on.

Specifically, why they showed so late and was the curfew extended without letting the audience know.

Also, why some people were told to go home, I believe someone said they had video evidence of that?

Maybe it could be uploaded to YouTube and link sent to joe@rte.ie.

At the end of the day, there is shag all else that there is to do, to try and get answers.

Doesn't say anything on the ticket about a curfew.

They we're late because Axl is an egotistical madman.

If you left on the advice of a security guard its your own fault. They dont work for MCD and certainly arent spokesmen for anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Nal wrote: »
    If you left on the advice of a security guard its your own fault. They dont work for MCD and certainly arent spokesmen for anything.
    On that basis, what grounds do the security men have for stopping someone from going in? What grounds do they have for making people leave after a gig? What are they doing there so?

They are representatives for the venue who are hosting an event which in this case was MCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

I'm gonna be a bit technical here, but if you are on any premise like a venue, pub or even a shop, and are told to leave by security it means that your licence to be on the premise has ended and you must leave the premises. You have a reasonable time to leave the premises, but that is all. If you do not leave then you are liable to be found guilty of trespass. Now I know that rarely happens, but it is still the law. So, no...it is not your own fault if you follow the directions of the security of a venue. They may not be MCD staff, or o2 staff, but they have authority to remove people.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

No idea who the support group were:
    "We're in Dublin, Ireland!"
    *Yeahhhh!*
    "Guns N' Roses are in the house!"
    *Yeahhhh*
    "They're going to rock you so hard you'll wake up tomorrow and think they fisted you!"

Oh almost . . .

kbannon wrote: »
    On that basis, what grounds do the security men have for stopping someone from going in? What grounds do they have for making people leave after a gig? What are they doing there so?

They are representatives for the venue who are hosting an event which in this case was MCD.

I didnt see any security telling people to leave. Anyone I spoke to or my mates spoke to hadnt a clue what was going on. And Ive yet to hear from anyone who wasnt allowed back in.
    Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    I'm gonna be a bit technical here, but if you are on any premise like a venue, pub or even a shop, and are told to leave by security it means that your licence to be on the premise has ended and you must leave the premises. You have a reasonable time to leave the premises, but that is all. If you do not leave then you are liable to be found guilty of trespass. Now I know that rarely happens, but it is still the law. So, no...it is not your own fault if you follow the directions of the security of a venue. They may not be MCD staff, or o2 staff, but they have authority to remove people.

They didnt remove anyone. Were the 2,000 who didnt move from the front of the stage for the entire night told to leave? No.

I think people are just looking for an excuse for a refund, which they wont get becuase they have to reason to get one. GnR played a two hour show and at no stage was it announced that the show was over, until 12.55am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Were the 2,000 who didnt move from the front of the stage for the entire night told to leave?

Well, that's just not true.

At least a third of the people that were standing, left - I seen them do it with my own eyes.

I also seen O2 staff telling people it was over, that they could request a refund from MCD.

They did not volunteer the information, but many pushed past me and asked the O2 staff it was over and they said yes it was.

They stopped doing that after 15 minutes, as I think word was filtered down that Axl was coming back out.

You have to understand, that most gigs finish at 11pm there, it was 10.55pm - so O2 staff just saw the lights come on, went to the barriers as the always did and started telling people the gig was over.

Why would they think it wasn't?

You know any other time that a band played a set from 11.30pm till almost 1am in the O2?

Scandalous, the whole affair.

I didnt see any security telling people to leave. Anyone I spoke to or my mates spoke to hadnt a clue what was going on. And Ive yet to hear from anyone who wasnt allowed back in.

They didnt remove anyone. Were the 2,000 who didnt move from the front of the stage for the entire night told to leave? No.

I think people are just looking for an excuse for a refund, which they wont get becuase they have to reason to get one. GnR played a two hour show and at no stage was it announced that the show was over, until 12.55am.
    they didn't remove everyone...but they did tell some people it was over and they should leave. those people have a strong case for a refund. I think you are trying your best to jsut tell everyone to stop moaning because you were happy with the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

lol this has to be one of the longest, most posted in threads on the metals forums ever :D I have no sympathy for anyone who got shafted because i cant fathom why anyone would pay to see Mr Rose in all his glory. Same goes for any band label that long since past resembling the original band in question. Sepultura, Deicide and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Some of the "fans" were a fukking disgrace but axl was a prissy diva. He should have just came out and said "some people are throwing bottles on the stage, they obviously aren't here for the music. If you see anyone doing it you have my permision to drag them onto the ground and stamp all over the fukkers. Enjoy the show."

lol this has to be one of the longest, most posted in threads on the metals forums ever :D I have no sympathy for anyone who got shafted because i cant fathom why anyone would pay to see Mr Rose in all his glory. Same goes for any band label that long since past resembling the original band in question. Sepultura, Deicide and so on
    yeah it does start becoming like you are just watching a tribute band. I was at Sepultura a few weeks ago. Enjoyed the gig, but always knew it wasn't really Sepultura.

Well, that's just not true.

At least a third of the people that were standing, left - I seen them do it with my own eyes.

I also seen O2 staff telling people it was over, that they could request a refund from MCD.

They did not volunteer the information, but many pushed past me and asked the O2 staff it was over and they said yes it was.

They stopped doing that after 15 minutes, as I think word was filtered down that Axl was coming back out.

You have to understand, that most gigs finish at 11pm there, it was 10.55pm - so O2 staff just saw the lights come on, went to the barriers as the always did and started telling people the gig was over.

Why would they think it wasn't?

You know any other time that a band played a set from 11.30pm till almost 1am in the O2?

Scandalous, the whole affair.

I was up the front, there was no announcement at all, people left because they thought it was over. The last official statement I heard was from Desmond saying that they were trying to get Axl back on stage and not to go anywhere basically.

Im still shocked that people thought, at a GnR show, that it would go off without a hitch and made plans to get home before 12. Absolutely shocked. People with too much money basically. At 70 quid a ticket, you should really know that youre not going to have an normal night. You wouldnt pay €70 for a meal without doing some research on the restaurant first would you? There was widespread media coverage of their late appearances at Leeds and Reading and theres 20+ years of proof that Axl has some serious mental issues and is almost always late.

I saw it as some sort of weird performance art. Reminded me of what it would have been like to see The Doors or something. Loved every minute of it. Rock and Roll!! :)

strobe wrote: »
    Some of the "fans" were a fukking disgrace but axl was a prissy diva. He should have just came out and said "some people are throwing bottles on the stage, they obviously aren't here for the music. If you see anyone doing it you have my permision to drag them onto the ground and stamp all over the fukkers. Enjoy the show."

See thats what I dont get. Of course he SHOULD have said something to calm everyone down, but he didnt. And he never did. And you should never expect him to. Axl is the most confrontational frontman in the history of rock and roll..
    Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    yeah it does start becoming like you are just watching a tribute band. I was at Sepultura a few weeks ago. Enjoyed the gig, but always knew it wasn't really Sepultura.
    I saw the Cavalera Conspiracy before, Max and Igor from Sepultura. They were sensational. I almost shed a tear so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Says f*ck all on the ticket about a 21.45 main act time too. Don't see any mention of Danko Jones on the ticket either. Also, funny enough there's no mention of the fact that the concert was going to last over 6 hours in line with an all day event and that punters should be wary of this went making their travel arrangements to the venue. Had this info. been on the ticket I'm sure several thousand people might have thought twice about purchasing a ticket.

I was up the front, there was no announcement at all ..

Are you trolling?

I never said there was an "announcement", stop implying that I did.

I said that O2 staff lined the barriers and many of them told people, who "ASKED" was the concert over, that yes it was.

It was 11pm by that stage and I firmly believe that they thought it was, it usually is at that time for most gigs.
    Im still shocked that people thought, at a GnR show, that it would go off without a hitch ..

As has been said, which you chose to ignore.

People had no problem waiting a half hour or even 45 minutes between the support and Guns n Roses, the Mexican waves and the boos didn't start until around ten, so quite acting like 14,000 lost the head cause of a short delay.

10.30pm (90 minutes) after the support act, was no time to start a gig when the curfew on the venue is usually 11pm for transportation reasons.
    I saw it as some sort of weird performance art. Reminded me of what it would have been like to see The Doors or something. Loved every minute of it. Rock and Roll!! :)

You know it's illegal to smoke indoors, let alone the whacky backy.

Are you trolling?

I never said there was an "announcement", stop implying that I did.

I said that O2 staff lined the barriers and many of them told people, who "ASKED" was the concert over, that yes it was.

It was 11pm by that stage and I firmly believe that they thought it was, it usually is at that time for most gigs.

As has been said, which you chose to ignore.

People had no problem waiting a half hour or even 45 minutes between the support and Guns n Roses, the Mexican waves and the boos didn't start until around ten, so quite acting like 14,000 lost the head cause of a short delay.

10.30pm (90 minutes) after the support act, was no time to start a gig when the curfew on the venue is usually 11pm for transportation reasons.

You know it's illegal to smoke indoors, let alone the whacky backy.

No Im not trolling.

People started booing at about 9.45 by the way. I know because I recorded it and texted it to a mate, at 9.47pm.

Theres still no reason to throw stuff at him. And the booing was a little silly too. All thats going to do is antagonise the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

There was widespread media coverage of their late appearances at Leeds and Reading and theres 20+ years of proof that Axl has some serious mental issues and is almost always late.
    ]

I bought my tickets back in June, sorry but the crystal ball was working when I purchased then so I was unaware of the Reading and Leeds gigs then. Also, I can only speak as I find and the last G'N'R I went to started on time so why shouldn't this one? Anyway surely all of this s*it is the job of the promoter, you know to inform people of what the concert might entail they obviosly knew what he was like when they booked him and that is why all this crap about an 80 minute support slot and a 21.45 start time is being spouted in the media. Utter nonsense!

phil1nj wrote: »
    I bought my tickets back in June, sorry but the crystal ball was working when I purchased then so I was unaware of the Reading and Leeds gigs then. Also, I can only speak as I find and the last G'N'R I went to started on time so why shouldn't this one? Anyway surely all of this s*it is the job of the promoter, you know to inform people of what the concert might entail they obviosly knew what he was like when they booked him and that is why all this crap about an 80 minute support slot and a 21.45 start time is being spouted in the media. Utter nonsense!

That is a point yeah. MCD knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. Word travels fast in the music business. GnR are poison in those terms.

Theres still no reason to throw stuff at him. And the booing was a little silly too. All thats going to do is antagonise the lad.

He turned up 90 minutes after the support band left, and 30 minutes before the usual 11pm curfew, didn't apologise and you expect people not to be pissed off.

Any other profession and he'd be sacked.

He sat in his hotel as usual acting the prima donna.

He needs a kick in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Why are ye still discussing this muppet?? I saw their performance at either Leeds or Reading on BBC(red button) earlier, and I nearly fell of my chair at the f**kin state of him!!!

He looks like a cross between Puff Daddy and Keith Richards!!!!

strobe wrote: »

That would help no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

47462_426961868945_602943945_5127150_4116968_n.jpg

This is an urgent appeal on behalf of W.Axl Rose. Axl is missing his prized dummy. Last seen as pictured here in Dublin Ireland Wednesday night. Was lost 22 mins into the concert. If found please return as he may need to spit it out at future shows. Thank you!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That would help no-one.

I like the way he gives his permission. He should do it himself, real tough guy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

All the negativity and everything over the gnr concert i believe this is what should have been done

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

^^^ Matt Belamy....a class act all the way!

Yeah the gnr fiasco was insane!! Refunds should of been given IMO (at least partial-refunds) but from MCDs point of view, they played their contractually obliged 20 songs or so, so legally they are covered.

But surely you would think that common sense would make them realise that if you put up the house lights, people will assume that the show is over. You are unofficially implying it, short of a GTFO neon sign!!!

Axl Rose is a joke of a man and a waste of a once decent musician. Slashs gig the other month in Vicar Street was amazing (even with a sick singer!), so it goes to show who the real hero of the "original G'n'R" era really is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

isn't bellamy playing a festival? happens all the time at em

this video shows after 1:00 a pint lobbed at u whilst out on a limb in yer sunday best is not gonna go down well. then comes a fcuking bucket or something; everyone snickering

to think someone did it again after the warning so a handful of jackeens sabotaged the show no doubt. terrible sour atmosphere festered n it caught on like wildfire.. but if someone needs to be brought back down to earth then dublin fits the profile alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

While I wear what is likely to become a limited edition, my GNR Rock Ireland 2010 T Shirt with the Irish flag on the back, I figured I'd add a little more information to this less then a week since the gig

First and foremost, media coverage by RTE has been shameful, and you would wonder what kind of country we live in where the state broadcaster is actually afraid to report on a story of newsworthy appeal (that was discussed on TV3 and even the BBC) in case it get's sued

There are currently 1,500 stories from around the world on this one issue, just type Guns N Roses and Dublin into Google News and take a look....but yet RTE have just reprinted the MCD statement.....

Also, I paid for accomidation in Dublin, a flight to Ireland....return flights....and paid for getting to the venue, buying a bit of merchandise, food when I was there and food when I was in Dublin as a result of the gig. I decided against Belfast as Dublin was my home city and I made a choice to go there, even though it would have meant I wouldn't have had to change money coming to Ireland

I did my research, am a big GNR fan, and have already purchased tickets to see them and Sebastian Bach in Manchester next month. So, having done this, and known what to expect I checked the review of the Belfast gig online the morning I left home to fly to Dublin. All seemed fine, a little late start, but no reason for me to either rent a car or pick an expensive inner city hotel as opposed to staying in a nice B and B in the suburbs.

I arrived at the venue, and I've already stated, the gig was not entertaining...there were various stops and starts and I have never ever seen a support band play as long as Danko Jones....

So because I have no car and I'm dependant on the LUAS and because there is no Nitelink or night bus service on a Wed I can either get a taxi or get a LUAS. Well, a taxi is going to cost me severely, so that's not an option since I've already spent almost 200Euro before the band even start to play. And that's excluding the price of my ticket.

So when all is said and done and I miss the reason I came to Dublin and I am not readmitted when the band come back onstage, and I hear that Axl Rose himself throws a tantrum backstage I think I'm entitled to a refund on my ticket because I won't get any money back for my trip to Dublin....and I work for a living, so don't forget I had to take a few days off work too....unpaid....

And now I'm left thinking what the hell am I supposed to do with my Manchester ticket. Do I drive to Manchester and just prepare to drive back the same night? What is he doesn't show, what if the same thing happens.

MCD I hope you read this, I'm not alone in what I say, and I'm just one person. A refund back is just the LEAST of my costs...you made money from me on food and the band made money from me on merch....and yet you still fight the corner of no refunds for anyone. For shame.

• Advertisement

I agree with most of the points in your post but the main two points that someone needs to address is why the 10.30 start at that venue and most of all, why did the lights come on at 10:56pm, stay off for over a half an hour and some members on the O2 tell people the concert was over.

Here is video that shows how almost half the people in the seating are left and well over one third of those standing, as can be seen from the pockets in the crowd and that the crowd no long goes that far back.

Partically go to the last minute of the video to see the half empty seating are, which was full before Axl walked off stage:

Also, when Axl came back on stage, he did NOT give a preformance that people would have paid for.

Go to the 2m 54sec mark of the following video for proof of that:

I too agree that RTE's actions (or lack of them) on this issue has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Why did they not discuss it and force a member of MCD to give answers to the issues that undoubtedly need to be addressed??

How come the Cat Stevens situation got discussed many days in a row, as did the Barbra Streisand debacle?

Please don't tell me this is all about class and that they are just avoiding the issue because it is a 'heavy rock / metal' gig.

Advertisement