Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Shambles at O2??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Unless otherwise stated a gig in dublin starts at 9pm with support ususally from 8 to 8.30. Sometimes bands increase the tension and build anticipation by coming on 10-15 mins late. Some of the death metal gigs lately have been starting late, however there is also usually 2-3 supports playing. So there is rarely more than 15 mins without music.

it is unheard of for a support band to play for 1.30 mins under normal circumstances. That is a headline slot at a major festival.

Expecting people to wait for 1 hr post 9pm without entertainment in a drinking enviornment, without updates from the promoter is dangerous and ignorant.

It has been hammered into gig fans over the years by security that "house lights" is the time of no return, anytime i'm hanging on for an extra encore ...a security man would point up un the air and say "house lights"...which is another way of saying "get the f** out of here"...
    Turning on house lights without explanation means show is over.

Overall it seems most of the trouble could have been "eased" by up to date announcments by MCD. Jobworths all over the O2 were giving out advice such as "show over" leading to a state of confusion.

The bottle throwers however are not heroes....they are dicks.
    and axle is also a dick...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I agree with most of the points in your post but the main two points that someone needs to address is why the 10.30 start at that venue and most of all, why did the lights come on at 10:56pm, stay off for over a half an hour and some members on the O2 tell people the concert was over.

Here is video that shows how almost half the people in the seating are left and well over one third of those standing, as can be seen from the pockets in the crowd and that the crowd no long goes that far back.

Partically go to the last minute of the video to see the half empty seating are, which was full before Axl walked off stage:

Also, when Axl came back on stage, he did NOT give a preformance that people would have paid for.

Go to the 2m 54sec mark of the following video for proof of that:

I too agree that RTE's actions (or lack of them) on this issue has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Why did they not discuss it and force a member of MCD to give answers to the issues that undoubtedly need to be addressed??

How come the Cat Stevens situation got discussed many days in a row, as did the Barbra Streisand debacle?

Please don't tell me this is all about class and that they are just refusing avoiding the issue because it is a 'heavy rock / metal' gig.

RE: the video: I would've left the place. judging by that vid, he was in no mood to play the ****ing gig, and just wanted his money. :mad: A**hole.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Here is video that shows how almost half the people in the seating are left and well over one third of those standing, as can be seen from the pockets in the crowd and that the crowd no long goes that far back.

Partically go to the last minute of the video to see the half empty seating are, which was full before Axl walked off stage:
    That's unreal!
    If I was there I would have left on the assumption that it was over!
    I've never seen a gig where the entire houst lights went on and the gig wasn't over.
    Also, when Axl came back on stage, he did NOT give a preformance that people would have paid for.

People actually cheered for that crap? :confused:
    Not only were the vocals brutal but stading in a corner showing that he really couldn't be arsed shows the level of disrespect he has for that crowd!

kbannon wrote: »
    That's unreal!
    If I was there I would have left on the assumption that it was over!
    I've never seen a gig where the entire houst lights went on and the gig wasn't over.

People actually cheered for that crap? :confused:
    Not only were the vocals brutal but stading in a corner showing that he really couldn't be arsed shows the level of disrespect he has for that crowd!

He doesn't respect any crowd, imo. He just wants to do the gig(s), get paid & get the **** out.

I reckon he'll finish GnR once this tour's done???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

http://anna-quach.blogspot.com/2010/09/guns-n-roses-rome-palalottomatico-2010.html
    Waiting... waiting... Fans start to chant "Guns - n - Roses" and "Axl"... waiting waiting ... fans start booing ... waiting waiting ... fans chant "Guns - n - Roses" again ... waiting... then some more booing and couple cups and bottles thrown in the air and stage... Crap... Then, finally, at 10:30pm, lights go out and GnR comes out! Woooohoooo! Houston we have lift off.... Welcome to the Jungle! =)

The show was great. Axl was his usual self with his couple signature moves and sways and throwing of the mic stand ..

ah, Rome. where bras and panties are hurled instead of pints are n folk are not thinking of their regimented transport home / lives. 10:30 is the stage time i think thats obvious u crazy pissed irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

First and foremost, media coverage by RTE has been shameful, and you would wonder what kind of country we live in where the state broadcaster is actually afraid to report on a story of newsworthy appeal (that was discussed on TV3 and even the BBC) in case it get's sued

There was a two minute segment on the 9 o' clock rte news the following night of the concert, which did show video coverage of the Debacle.

sxt wrote: »
    There was a two minute segment on the 9 o' clock rte news the following night of the concert, which did show video coverage of the Debacle.
    I saw that alright.
    However, it was given with an MCD perspective IMO despite them getting a soundbite from a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

The ad on the bottom of those youtube videos is to buy G n' R tickets for their Irish & UK shows! PMSL!! :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I agree with most of the points in your post but the main two points that someone needs to address is why the 10.30 start at that venue and most of all, why did the lights come on at 10:56pm, stay off for over a half an hour and some members on the O2 tell people the concert was over.

I too agree that RTE's actions (or lack of them) on this issue has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Why did they not discuss it and force a member of MCD to give answers to the issues that undoubtedly need to be addressed??

How come the Cat Stevens situation got discussed many days in a row, as did the Barbra Streisand debacle?

Please don't tell me this is all about class and that they are just refusing avoiding the issue because it is a 'heavy rock / metal' gig.
    Yeah, very impressed. Is it too late to BOO now? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

Is anyone interested in selling the Black/pale/red t-shirt from this show? Just knowing how annoyed people are, I’d be willing to pay cost price & postage (maybe bit extra) for the one with the skull, wings and tour dates on the back.

(not sure if this type of request is allowed, but posting here as this is from the Dub show)

Thanks,
    TT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He doesn't respect any crowd, imo. He just wants to do the gig(s), get paid & get the **** out.

I reckon he'll finish GnR once this tour's done???

GNR finished in 1997.

axl will never finish - he's all about pretending he is still relevant to the modern music scene

Max Power1 wrote: »
    GNR finished in 1997.

axl will never finish - he's all about pretending he is still relevant to the modern music scene

Ah if Slash had played on Chinese Democracy, people would be falling all over themselves to prise the guitar work on tracks like Shackler's Revenge, There Was A Time, Madagascar, Better and almost every other song on that album.

I know people are furious at Axl for the past and the O2 gig but CD is one hell of an album, just not a classic Guns sounding record. Is it relevant to modern Music? No, because the press and old fans just can't let the past go and Axl does little to win over new fans at half the gigs he plays. Also, lack of promotion doesn't help but that doesn't take away the album's greatness.

Still hate IRS and Catcher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Ah if Slash had played on Chinese Democracy, people would be falling all over themselves to prise the guitar work on tracks like Shackler's Revenge, There Was A Time, Madagascar, Better and almost every other song on that album.

Maybe he would have made those songs worth listening to.

I haven't uploaded them yet, but I have Slash's performances of Sweet Child and Paradise City on my hard drive and they are unbelievable, as close to the original as is possible, almost 25 years later.

DJ can wear the hat and do all the Slash moves he likes, but he will never ever come close to playing those songs as pure, raw and as magical as Slash does so effortlessly.
    .. the press and old fans just can't let the past go ..

It's Axl that can't let go of the past.

He is still behaving like a spoiled little brat.

Slash, Duff and the rest did the same, read their books.

Then suddenly, it was the late 90's and guess what - they grew up.

Maybe he would have made those songs worth listening to.

I haven't uploaded them yet, but I have Slash's performances of Sweet Child and Paradise City on my hard drive and they are unbelievable, as close to the original as is possible, almost 25 years later.

DJ can wear the hat and do all the Slash moves he likes, but he will never ever come close to playing those songs as pure, raw and as magical as Slash does so effortlessly.

Ah you should have a listen, it's a brilliant album so long as you don't go looking for a follow up to the Illusions. It's a totally different style.

DJ is cool, no harm in the guy. He admits freely the hat idea came from Slash but most rock guitarists have taken from Slash in one way or another. He's a grea player and a cool guy.
    It's Axl that can't let go of the past.

He is still behaving like a spoiled little brat.

Slash, Duff and the rest did the same, read their books.

Then suddenly, it was the late 90's and guess what - they grew up.

They grew up, but that kind of spells doom for their rock star credentials. They got responsibilities and agreements to fulfil which is a tad stale now. Axl may be a total and utter prick, but I admire his balls to risk fans, money his legacy and everything at stake just to get his own way.

Only one he's hurting in the long run is himself.

*waits for someone to quote the 'admires his balls' comment out of context :D

Ah you should have a listen, it's a brilliant album so long as you don't go looking for a follow up to the Illusions. It's a totally different style.

DJ is cool, no harm in the guy. He admits freely the hat idea came from Slash but most rock guitarists have taken from Slash in one way or another. He's a grea player and a cool guy.

They grew up, but that kind of spells doom for their rock star credentials. They got responsibilities and agreements to fulfil which is a tad stale now. Axl may be a total and utter prick, but I admire his balls to risk fans, money his legacy and everything at stake just to get his own way.

You admire him for risking his fans??? He's an idiot - end of story.

You admire him for risking his fans??? He's an idiot - end of story.

More so I admire him for having the cojones to risk his fans and everything else to get things his own way, so few rock bands have the balls to do anything out of the ordinary these days - kind of defeats the whole point of rock music.

Axl knows what's hes doing and he obviously doesn't care.

Ah you should have a listen, it's a brilliant album ..

I bought it the day it was released.
    DJ is cool, no harm in the guy.

I have no problem with the guy, just with people thinking he can play GnR tracks as well as Slash or that Slash wouldn't make any song sound better than he could.

If only that were true.

I bought it the day it was released.
    Ah sorry, I thought you meant you hadn't heard it yet
    I have no problem with the guy, just with people thinking he can play GnR tracks as well as Slash or that Slash wouldn't make any song sound better than he could.
    Ah sher, he's doing a job. No one can play those tracks like Slash. I'd prefer to hear more of the CD album in their set, at least it's their album.
    If only that were true.
    Sher who else is he hurting? The lads will move on when they get tired of his 'methods'.

Sher who else is he hurting? The lads will move on when they get tired of his 'methods'.

People who's money is now in his back account and has paid for his lifestyle and homes since the 80's.

The more Axl behaves like a Prima Donna, the less chance of a reconciliation with Slash, as he will just see that Axl hasn't changed, and so there is less chance of him reaching out or saying yes to a proposal where they need to work with each other again.

You may see his attitude of part of his act, it is far from it.

He does the same with business meetings, personal relationships etc.

The guy has issues and if it was only himself that he was affecting, I might have some sympathy, but it isn't - it's far from it in fact.

• Advertisement

People who's money is now in his back account and has paid for his lifestyle and homes since the 80's.

But they won't be hurt in the longrun. Anyone that gets burned once won't waste money on them again. At the most they'll let him F**k them over twice but that's it, they won't go on taking it.
    The more Axl behaves like a Prima Donna, the less chance of a reconciliation with Slash, as he will just see that Axl hasn't changed, and so there is less chance of him reaching out or saying yes to a proposal where they need to work with each other again.

Man, the Slash reunion is never likely to happen. Even now that Slash is doing his best to make it up to Axl and become friends again through the press, Axl's having none of it. he hates those guys ("Slash is a caner" , "Where's Slash? he's up my ass")
    You may see his attitude of part of his act, it is far from it.

He does the same with business meetings, personal relationships etc.

The guy has issues and if it was only himself that he was affecting, I might have some sympathy, but it isn't - it's far from it in fact.

No, not at all. I know that's Axl through and through. That's just him, it's not an act and the biographies of Slash and Steven only prove that. They talk about temperamental he's always been and how he avoids confronting issues in any sort of tactical way.

That's just who the guy is. You have to take him or leave him.

Even now that Slash is doing his best to make it up to Axl and become friends again through the press, Axl's having none of it. he hates those guys ..

Is this not "hurting people in the long run"?

In essence, what Axl did with the GnR name, was take the ball (which morally belonged to everyone) and run off home with it, just so that the others couldn't play with it the way they wanted to play with it.

He may have the legal right to, but Paul McCartney has the legal rights to tour was The Beatles if he wants, but he doesn't.

People like myself are fcuking mugs to give him our money, considering how much we disagree with many of his actions and how he treats the rest of GnR.

Which just makes how he treats his fans all the more incomprehensible.

He has to be one of the most narcissistic, obnoxious and ungrateful musicians of all time.

I don't want to take over this thread, so I'll leave it there.

Regardless of who played on the album, it would still have been a poor album. However, Slash may have had plenty of creative input changing the tracks completely.
    I know people are furious at Axl for the past and the O2 gig but CD is one hell of an album, just not a classic Guns sounding record. Is it relevant to modern Music? No, because the press and old fans just can't let the past go and Axl does little to win over new fans at half the gigs he plays. Also, lack of promotion doesn't help but that doesn't take away the album's greatness.
    I disagree (and don't want to deviate from the thread) but to me, in the same way Metallica changed, the album simply was just not something that I thought was good (which is one reason why I decided not to go to the gig).

Either way, that does not excuse his behaviour on the night (or at any other gig). I'm not excusing the arseholes who threw stuff at the stage but you do have to ask why they did that. Would they have done so if Axl was on time and playing a stormer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

When I complained about this gig to Trading Standards they advised I contact the following people about a complaint against MCD and their standards

Office of Consumer Affairs, Dublin at 01 4025555.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭briany

You can understand that if Axl spent the last 13 years or so working on that album, then he'd damn well want to play at least some of it live and it is a good album I will definately agree with that but it is Axl and co. and not G'n'R.
    Would I rather hear them doing classics all night? Well, yes I suppose I would but in a perfect world bands would be churning out a few songs to throw into the live rotation per album thus keeping it fresh and not just doing a few of the new ones per album tour and then dropping them once it's done and doing the same thing for the next album. It's part of why I love AC/DC because they have pretty much without fail churned out at least one classic per album that the crowd well go crazy for and sing along to (even Stiff Upper Lip, which is underrated) and that's something that not many other bands have achieved in their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

When I complained about this gig to Trading Standards they advised I contact the following people about a complaint against MCD and their standards

Office of Consumer Affairs, Dublin at 01 4025555.

Was this Trading Standards in the NI or UK? Looks like their database is out of date. This office is now the National Consumer Agency - www.nca.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

just thought i'd comment on chinese democracy as it has come up here. when i listened to the album i went in not expecting classic gnr. i looked at it as an axl solo project of sorts. now i must admit it is a decent album in fairness. my personal favorite song on it is sorry. i was glad to get to hear it sang live before the ****e that went down. i was looking forward to hearing the new stuff live. its a shame that the majority of the new stuff was played after he came back out. the atmosphere for me was terrible and i just didnt enjoy the rest of the show. i just took my usual over the top amount of pictures. i have to give props to dj ashba, he may not be slash but i think hes a suitable stand in.

did anyone else meet anyone who actually thought dj was slash? there werea good few around me who did think it was him. it was kinda funny!

on the subject of slash i didnt get to see him in dublin but i was fortunate to catch him at glastonbury. it was an amazing set and the sound was classic gnr for sweet child , paradise city etc. but... its just not the same without axl singing em.

axl is all about the money. he should realise the amount he'd make on a one off tour featuring the original line up. it would be great if they could just say **** our differences lets just go and make ourselves rich and give the fans something they want to see in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Whiplash wrote: »
    just thought i'd comment on chinese democracy as it has come up here.

I wonder how much Robin Finck and Buckethead played on the record. Both guys were so wrong for GNR.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

as far as i know i think bucket head is mostly on it. then again i may be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Was this Trading Standards in the NI or UK? Looks like their database is out of date. This office is now the National Consumer Agency - www.nca.ie

Thanks for the clarification, it seems these are the people to contact as well as writing to MCD about this

Advertisement