Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Shambles at O2??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Doesn't make it acceptable, but it was deffo going to happen, absolute 100% fact that gig was not going to go to plan, and everyone surely knew that...............

Whilst many will be aware of the band and the tendancy to arrive late to the stage there's many more who don't spend time online and probably wouldn't have had a clue. It got some mainstream media coverage after Reading with the likes of Sky News running the story but many i reckon would've been surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There'll be an announcement from MCD regarding the gig at 10.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I've said it previosuly, they are under no obligation to issue refunds......but it would be nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭derdider

RVD420 wrote: »
    tl;dr, The way the Irish fans welcomed GNR here tonight was a total f-ing disgrace.
    I was sick to the guts as people started boo-ing even before the gig.

I cant believe you dont see why fans would be booing him.

He came on at 10:30 when the curfew for the place is 11:00 !

People travel from Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway etc.... Lots of those kids hire a mini bus and the mini-bus leaves at like 11:30. Do you think a mini bus driver who has to get back to his family in Galway is going to wait around till 2:00am or for whenever that tool decides to have his concert ? No. The busses were going at 11:30. Loads of people HAD to leave and knew they werent going to get a concert

Like others stated, their cars were parked in car parks that were closing at 12:00. They had to leave too.

Forget about being pissed at being made wait an hour and a half and treated like crap, they were also never going to get to see the concert because Axel didnt have the decency to come out in time.

After paying €70 for a ticket, taking a dy off work, paying for a mini-bus or whatever from Cork and not getting to see a concert (or knowing you were only going to get to see 30 mins) i can totally understand why they would boo - even after he started.

Plus whos going to take care of all the fines MCD now face for going over time ?

Axel is a tool. And after what happened in England just a few days earlier youd think hed know better

You're just a blinded fan-boy thinking people should expect this and put up with this from Axel. Plenty of people who got busses up, parked cars etc...were forced to miss the concert because of the way he acted. How you think people should be ok with this is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Axl Rose does not deserve to be blamed. He told them beforehand not to do so and they didn't listen, and anyone who is a Guns 'n' Roses fan should know no to fcuk around with Axl or test him because he means what he says. Axl was in the right to do what he did tbh.
    Axl does deserver to be blamed.
    He has a notorious habit of turning up late. This is why Metallica decided to play before them all those years ago. This is partly why Slash and the others got a pain in their hole with him.
    You cannot expect loyal fans to remain calm when you treat them in this manner when all they can do in the meantime is drink alcohol.
    I'm not condoning the throwing of bottles (plastic or glass) but you can't expect a large mass of people to remain calm indefinitley.
    RVD420 wrote: »
    My point is that, the utter disrespect the "fans" paid him tonight was way out of order. Boo-ing before the gig, cos he/they're late....fair enough. But once they get goin, booing all the way through the first 2 songs, throwing bottles at the band with only one intention, is bang out of order imo. No self-respecting band would/should have to put up with that.
    You have to earn respect. No band that values its fanbase would do something like this. Axl's habit of giving the audience the two fingers by turning up late is going to piss off an audience. You simply cannot do that.

What other professional band does this to its fans?
    MCD refunded Barbara striesand tickets, so the precedent is to refund our tickets.
    That was a completely different type of audience - it was one where many folk were wealthy and important. I wouldn't hold out on MCD giving too much sympathy on GnR fans but we'll see what their statement has to say!
    Erm no they don't, the only obligation they had was to have Guns n Roses play a gig in the point....and they did.....yeah axl's premadonna attitude meant that it finished way too late but that's not MCD's fault,
    If the venue told the audience that it was over (after 20 or so minutes) then you can't use the "they eventually came back on and completed a full gig" excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So, couple of thoughts.

Axl was late yeah, and didnt say why. What did people expect? But throwing bottles? For ****s sake.

They sounded MUCH better when they came back on. Axls voice sounded great when he wasn't running around.

As for the crowd, booing yes, throwing bottles, no.

Nothing better than a good Irish crowd, and nothing worse than a bad Irish crowd. I saw something similar at the Sex Pistols at the Picnic a few years ago. idiots. Half the people there last night had no idea how to behave in public. Socially inept arseholes. One gig a decade twats let out for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

The o2 crowd seem to be getting a bit of a reputation for getting impatient and booing bands offstage (Cat Stevens). But when MCD are charging a fortune for tickets, fans aren't going to want to wait around for an hour and a half for band to start playing.

I've said it previosuly, they are under no obligation to issue refunds......but it would be nice!!

MCD could generate themselves some very positive publicity and goodwill by offering a refund. Would also put it all back on Axl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lord lucan wrote: »
    Whilst many will be aware of the band and the tendancy to arrive late to the stage there's many more who don't spend time online and probably wouldn't have had a clue. It got some mainstream media coverage after Reading with the likes of Sky News running the story but many i reckon would've been surprised.
    There was no online when he was late for every gig in the 80's 90's!!

• Advertisement

Yep. People seem surprised! He has been known to be three hours late before, in the 80s/90s. He probably should have addressed it when he came on stage though. "Sorry we're late but we're going to play a great gig" etc.

I really enjoyed myself, band sounded great when they came back on. Crazy night. Unforgettable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Were these plastic bottles? That's all they sell in there, isn't it? If there were glass bottles thrown they were brought in and that's down to the promoter.

Not condoning throwing anything on the stage, but from the clip on Youtube it looks like two, maybe three, light plastic bottles. Not a danger to anyone.

22:30 arriving onstage late due to "technical difficulties". Does technical difficulties cover Axl being back at the hotel watching the end of the Magdalene Sisters on the telly? Or was Axl being sobered up? Or was there a problem with the sound that a week of preparations and planning missed and took 90 minutes to fix?

I thought if under 18s were admitted no alcohol could be served, or vice versa? Am I incorrect?

True,but they generated a huge amount of newspaper and magazine coverage back then and it became well known. I remember an MTV News item from 1991 when they were talking to Gilby Clarke who'd just taken over from Izzy. He was saying how he'd get the sheet with the setlist and set time would say 21.00! 23.00 would roll around and they'd still be sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

Last nights fiasco reminds me of Slane in '92. After Faith No More were done and the crowd were waiting for GN'R they started building human pyramids and throwing flattened Coke cups into the air. It was great craic and added to the atmosphere. Then some band representative came on and said we had to stop or the band wouldn't come on!!

cournioni wrote: »
    Never heard of him, what songs has he written?

Seeing that you asked .....

although i said he is one of the top guitarists in the world i was talking about his talent. check him out and judge for yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUx6yRXoo-E

Year Album As Ron Thal[14] 1995 The Adventures of Bumblefoot 1995 Wild Woody soundtrack 1997 Hermit (out of print) As Bumblefoot[15] 1998 Hands 2000 Uncool (French Version) 2001 9.11 2002 Uncool (American Version) 2003 Forgotten Anthology 2005 Normal 2008 Abnormal 2008 Barefoot – The Acoustic Ep With Guns N' Roses[16] 2008 Chinese Democracy

Were these plastic bottles? That's all they sell in there, isn't it? If there were glass bottles thrown they were brought in and that's down to the promoter.

Not condoning throwing anything on the stage, but from the clip on Youtube it looks like two, maybe three, light plastic bottles. Not a danger to anyone.

22:30 arriving onstage late due to "technical difficulties". Does technical difficulties cover Axl being back at the hotel watching the end of the Magdalene Sisters on the telly? Or was Axl being sobered up? Or was there a problem with the sound that a week of preparations and planning missed and took 90 minutes to fix?

I thought if under 18s were admitted no alcohol could be served, or vice versa? Am I incorrect?

There were plastic bottles, 2 or 3 yeah but with Axls track record thats enough.

There was no announcement before the gig as to why he was late and no explanation when he came on stage either.

kbannon wrote: »
    If the venue told the audience that it was over (after 20 or so minutes) then you can't use the "they eventually came back on and completed a full gig" excuse.

Thats the thing, the venue DIDN'T say the gig was over, apparantly some security guards said it to people but they were just stupid and have no connection with the o2 or MCD (the security is a third party so they would have no official confirmation) In fact Dennis Desmond himself was on stage saying they were trying to get AXL back on so there was no offical "the gig is over" announcement
    tubos wrote: »
    The o2 crowd seem to be getting a bit of a reputation for getting impatient and booing bands offstage (Cat Stevens). But when MCD are charging a fortune for tickets, fans aren't going to want to wait around for an hour and a half for band to start playing.

Cat stevens gig was a whole other kettle of fish....that was just pathetic!
    MCD could generate themselves some very positive publicity and goodwill by offering a refund. Would also put it all back on Axl.

I do agree with this, i think they have handeled themselves well thus far, would be great but they are under no obligation to issue refunds at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just on a note, the fans don't owe him any respect. Without the fans, Axl would be another dead junkie. The fans buy his albums and go to his gigs and put him in fancy clothes and expensive hotels.

He deserves whatever abuse he gets for not worshipping his fans. Yes, only scumbags throw bottles, but you can't piss off 10,000 people and not expect some very pissed off scumbags.

Totally his own fault.

yeah you are wrong there, fully stocked bar, they are a "venue" not a pub so if you are old enough, you can drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just as a side note. Didn't this sh*t happen to Pearl Jam and Eddie just laughed and kicked the bottles back? He's a f*ckin' legend.

I'm against bottle throwing at gigs (unless the band are complete a-holes). But when you take a complete hissy fit and storm off after coming out to an irate crowd who paid hard-earned to stand around and wait for the best part of the night? Of course you're going to get some abuse!

A pub band wouldn't treat the crowed like that (ok kind of an 'out there' comparison!)

From all accounts they just came on, no apology for the wait. That's a bit thick.

True,but they generated a huge amount of newspaper and magazine coverage back then and it became well known. I remember an MTV News item from 1991 when they were talking to Gilby Clarke who'd just taken over from Izzy. He was saying how he'd get the sheet with the setlist and set time would say 21.00! 23.00 would roll around and they'd still be sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

Last nights fiasco reminds me of Slane in '92. After Faith No More were done and the crowd were waiting for GN'R they started building human pyramids and throwing flattened Coke cups into the air. It was great craic and added to the atmosphere. Then some band representative came on and said we had to stop or the band wouldn't come on!!
    That's what happens when people are drinking and standing around with no entertainment....
    If it was made known that axl would be on at 11 then people would occupy themselves better....however that would mean axl taking 11 to be showtime and turning up at 12.30am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Counting down the hours 'till Joe Duffy is on, will be as entertaining if not more than the gig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Also i hear people talking about "nobodies" and "hired" musicians.........
    Bumblefoot is one of the absolute top guitarists on this planet, you were very lucky to be in his presence last night.
    This is Axl and some hired goons.

Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, <insert random name here> are not fit to lace the boots of any of the 80's GNR.

This is a typical example of axl being a pr!ck, and, while it may have been acceptable in the 80s when the real GNR were worth waiting for, in these days of Axl & Friends (they are not GNR, GNR died in 1997), it no longer cuts the mustard.

IMO anyone who bought a ticket should be refunded.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Seeing that you asked .....

although i said he is one of the top guitarists in the world i was talking about his talent. check him out and judge for yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUx6yRXoo-E

Year Album As Ron Thal[14] 1995 The Adventures of Bumblefoot 1995 Wild Woody soundtrack 1997 Hermit (out of print) As Bumblefoot[15] 1998 Hands 2000 Uncool (French Version) 2001 9.11 2002 Uncool (American Version) 2003 Forgotten Anthology 2005 Normal 2008 Abnormal 2008 Barefoot – The Acoustic Ep With Guns N' Roses[16] 2008 Chinese Democracy

Sounds like every other wanky guitarist on the planet. Has he wrote any notable songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 irishtweety

I stayed until the bitter end but only because my two friends are die hard GNR fans.... It was bad enough that they were over an hour late and came out on stage without even saying "Gee, sorry - we got a puncture on the jet" or some sort of half assed apology but to walk off stage after 4 songs.... Even if a bottle was thrown at him - so what... Surely a rocker like Axl must know this comes with the territory...

A woman then came out and said we're having "technical difficulties" which was followed by nothing for 20 mins or so at which point the lights went up so naturally enough some people left... Then the MCD promoter came out and asked us all to hang on and stop booing & he would get them back out!

When they came back out there were a lot of Gardai there - presumably having been called in to ensure no riots... The bars were closed and so were the soft drink vendors so we all got to stand around and listen to some old rocker who seemingly has an ego to beat all the bands!!!

All in all a disgrace... No respect for fans and us non fans (I certainly would never go to see them again if they were giving away tickets)....

cournioni wrote: »
    Sounds like every other wanky guitarist on the planet. Has he wrote any notable songs?

No, he is another wanky guitarist. But a very good one.

Thats the thing, the venue DIDN'T say the gig was over, apparantly some security guards said it to people but they were just stupid and have no connection with the o2 or MCD (the security is a third party so they would have no official confirmation) In fact Dennis Desmond himself was on stage saying they were trying to get AXL back on so there was no offical "the gig is over" announcement
    I'm just basing it on information posted here - I'd have better sense than to spend €70 on that primadonna. I don't even like Chinese Democracy THH!

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm just basing it on information posted here - I'd have better sense than to spend €70 on that primadonna. I don't even like Chinese Democracy THH!

Well worth €70, really great night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Erm no they don't, the only obligation they had was to have Guns n Roses play a gig in the point....and they did.....yeah axl's premadonna attitude meant that it finished way too late but that's not MCD's fault, i personally think they did a good job getting him back on stage, and Dennis Desmond himself was the guy on stage telling us they were trying to get axl back, so under the circumstances i think they did well!

I completely disagree. The gig finished too late, was a shambles and was not entertaining and people need to contact MCD and Ticketmaster and send them an email of complaint. Regardless of who threw what, there was no excuse for the behavior of Axl Rose, who came on well over an hour after the support band had finished - the support band having performed an hour and 20 minutes

contact MCD and register your complaint

The Nal wrote: »
    Well worth €70, really great night!!
    It really sounds like it! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

lights on and security and o2 staff telling people it was over would suggest otherwise, IMO lights on signals the end of every gig in the point. Never once in my concert going has lights gone on and back off again (and thats 10-20 times a year in all venues across the country)

Advertisement