Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Shambles at O2??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

lights on and security and o2 staff telling people it was over would suggest otherwise, IMO lights on signals the end of every gig in the point. Never once in my concert going has lights gone on and back off again (and thats 10-20 times a year in all venues across the country)

really!? it almost happened regularly in the point, in a situation when there is no one on stage legally the house lights have to come on! The fact that they werent shouting people out said to me they were trying to get him back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I thought myself it was more of a health and safety reason they put the house lights on due to so many people leaving so they could see the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'll get people started
    I wish to officially complain about the concert in the 02 last night and say that there should have been a refund. Guns N' Roses came on at 10.35pm and then left the stage again at 11.05pm - before returning well after the majority of the crowd, myself included, had headed home because there was no guarantee that we would get public transport home at such a late hour.

The ticket clearly stated that doors opened at 6.30pm and for the main band to come on stage over four hours after that time is inexcusable, but for the band to then leave the stage for a further 35 minutes is beyond belief, and I believe a full investigation and refund should be offered and is required.

Whether it is the organizers fault or not that the gig was stopped, the public are the ones who suffered, and the organizers did not therefore act responsibly. Raising the houselights, for example, gave the impression to the majority of the audience that the gig had been cancelled and some even left at this point.

I personally will not be using MCD again as a result of the performance last night. The fact I had to travel from the UK, book accommodation and pay transport is also money wasted.

I would appreciate an answer or press release from MCD on this matter as soon as possible.

Wayne Madden

Can you believe this - MCD are still advertising the bloody gig on their website - they haven't updated the website at all!

No comment yet from any band members on the situation either - no photos from Del James, this is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

You be rippin' off the ****in' kids, While they be payin' their hard earned money to read about listen to the bands they want to know about.

Ah, come one Axl. Listen to your own lyrics.

As for Axl bitchin' about the bottles being thrown at the stage...well you treat people like shít you get treated like shít.

Thank god I didn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I don't see how anyone can take the side of Axl on this issue. How can you be justified in saying that he was right to walk off? If you treat your fans like shit, expect shit back. It was a total lack off respect that Axl showed that pissed people off. You cannot expect people to stand around for an hour and a half in a hot, cramped space and then expect those same people to bow down to you! Show some respect for your audience by showing up on time or at least apologising when you get on, and then you'll get respect from them.

Now, the people at the show last night were die-hard fans. These were the people who put up with waiting more than a decade for Chinese Democarcy and enjoyed it. But Axl pissed (figuratively) on them last night. I hope that people now see him for what he is and stop supporting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Thats the thing, the venue DIDN'T say the gig was over, apparantly some security guards said it to people but they were just stupid and have no connection with the o2 or MCD (the security is a third party so they would have no official confirmation) In fact Dennis Desmond himself was on stage saying they were trying to get AXL back on so there was no offical "the gig is over" announcement
    QUOTE]

Lets see here:

Lead singer announcing they were done and storming off stage + MCD employees/hired staff telling people the concert is over + House lights coming on + No other information over the PA system from anyone+ Every other concert in the Point finishing before 11.30pm = THE CONCERTS OVER, GOODNIGHT.

On a separate note, I was there last night and it was a f*cking disgrace to have a washed up, diva of a fading rocker who's hayday has long passed treat his fans with utter contempt by having them wait around for over an hour and a half. And I say that as a G'N'R fan!

Picture the scene, its Wednesday night in Dublin, there are over 13,000 people there to see you becasue they want to be there, not because they have nothing better to do so what do you do? Spit in their faces by being late and then wonder why some pissed up clowns decided to throw stuff on stage (would this have happend had they turned up on time or within a reasonable amount of time giving people less time to get pissed up). Who knows?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

A press release is due for 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I personally will not be using MCD again as a result of the performance last night.

See this i dont think anyone would believe.....if your favourite band in the world announced a gig in Ireland, would you really not go if it was an MCD organised one!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gridlock wrote: »
    A press release is due for 11.30

It'll be out at 1.30pm and pulled down 20 minutes later.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Am I right in saying that the house lights come on automatically in the o2 due to the curfew? I seem to remember them coming on in the middle of the Pearl Jam gig in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I hope this means an end to the stupid so called curfew....How many bands have you seen that start on time, have a great time and want to treat the irish fans to a few extra songs and then rudely get cut off for doing so...
    Pearl jam, depeche mode, Iron maiden to name but 3...
    And then this C**t Axl walks in and all of a sudden "there's no curfew in the O2...."

NO MORE CURFEWS FOR BANDS WHO WANT TO GIVE US A LITTLE EXTRA PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

See this i dont think anyone would believe.....if your favourite band in the world announced a gig in Ireland, would you really not go if it was an MCD organised one!?

I live in the UK now and only came back to Ireland to visit the parents and see this gig, so actually no I wouldn't - didn't go to Pearl Jam last time or Metallica in 2008 (Aiken promoted them though) etc

And Motley Crue have never played Ireland....ever lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

TV3 News wrote: »
    Hi,

TV3 News would like to talk to any of you who were at last night’s concert, to try and get a picture of what happened.

If you’d like to talk to us, please post contact details or get in touch – <snip>
    If you promise to axe the sh*te that is 'Xpose', I'll talk to ye! :pac:

BOARDS.IE EDIT: No official permission was sought from Boards.ie (hello@boards.ie) for any media interaction, so we won't be allowing posts like this until they say hello to us. Darragh

TV3 News wrote: »
    Hi,

TV3 News would like to talk to any of you who were at last night’s concert, to try and get a picture of what happened.

If you’d like to talk to us, please post contact details or get in touch – <snip>or <snip>

Cheers
    Stephen
    TV3 News
    Perhaps you should go back to your desk and start promoting music instead of crawling out of your little hole everytime there is a story....How many great bands have visited here and put on great shows which never make the news....stick to Larry murphy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Just post this again from the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Perhaps you should go back to your desk and start promoting music instead of crawling out of your little hole everytime there is a story....How many great bands have visited here and put on great shows which never make the news....stick to Larry murphy....

As much as I hate journalists trawling through boards for easy story leads, the more people that hear about this and the more exposure it gets the better. Should put more pressure on MCD to refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The Nal wrote: »
    Well worth €70, really great night!!
    You can keep saying it, it doesnt get any less wrong.

o1s1n wrote: »
    As much as I hate journalists trawling through boards for easy story leads, the more people that hear about this and the more exposure it gets the better. Should put more pressure on MCD to refund.
    THis is going to be everwhere by lunchtime!!

I contacted Ticketmaster about this early this morning to see what the story was with possible refunds. I have recevied a reply back that basically states that since G'N'R returned to the stage and completed their set, no refunds will be offered. Charmin'.:mad:

Below is the text from the email:

"Ticketmaster act as a ticket agent who sell tickets on behalf of the promoter of an event, in this case MCD. We are not responsible for the running times and organisation of an event.

We have been in contact with MCD and the venue management who confirm that Guns n’ Roses, as announced during the interruption of their performance, returned to the stage and completed their set.
    As a result MCD have confirmed they will not be offering any refunds to patrons. If you wish to bring this matter further please contact MCD direct.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, indeed it will be! First thing I heard when I walked into a shop this morning at about 7:50am was people talking about it on the radio. Fingers crossed there'll be a mention on the 6.01 news.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I notice that Mr. Bailey hasn't tweeted yet and still nothing on mcd.ie
    I wouldn't hold my breath tbh!

edit: I notice phil1nj's post above - looks like I was right not to hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

phil1nj wrote: »
    I contacted Ticketmaster about this early this morning to see what the story was with possible refunds. I have recevied a reply back that basically states that since G'N'R returned to the stage and completed their set, no refunds will be offered. Charmin'.:mad:

Below is the text from the email:

"Ticketmaster act as a ticket agent who sell tickets on behalf of the promoter of an event, in this case MCD. We are not responsible for the running times and organisation of an event.

We have been in contact with MCD and the venue management who confirm that Guns n’ Roses, as announced during the interruption of their performance, returned to the stage and completed their set.
    As a result MCD have confirmed they will not be offering any refunds to patrons. If you wish to bring this matter further please contact MCD direct.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused"

what did you say to them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there a video showing the venue during the "intermission" with the lights on and people being told to leave?

what did you say to them?

I asked them what the story was with a refund for the concert (i.e. the service) that I paid for from them seeing as I found that service (i.e the concert) to be lacking in what I had expected. I base this expectation on the numerous other concerts I have been to over the years, most of which the tickets for , were purchased from Ticketmaster.

I didn't really ecpect much from them but seeing as I bought the tickets from them I wanted to see what they had to say on the subject. And you've seen the reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

kbannon wrote: »
    Is there a video showing the venue during the "intermission" with the lights on and people being told to leave?

Nobody was told to leave at any point.

The Nal wrote: »
    Nobody was told to leave at any point.

I was. By a someone who worked for the O2/MCD/The organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yep. I was there last night the whole thing was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

phil1nj wrote: »
    I was. By a someone who worked for the O2/MCD/The organisers.

Its never official unless its announced on the PA. "Mick the security guard" from Darndale isnt going to make my mind up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I know the ushers I spoke to didnt know what was going on, but they told us to hold on to tickets for refunds. Reading between the lines, this could mean they did not think they were coming back.

Advertisement