Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Shambles at O2??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t_rizzle

I really think that they just came back on to cover everyones ass! i will be very surprised if there is a refund givin! discussion on midday aule one show soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I know the ushers I spoke to didnt know what was going on, but they told us to hold on to tickets for refunds. Reading between the lines, this could mean they did not think they were coming back.

Why would the ushers know anything? And why would you listen to them or ask them anything? MCD and Desmond didnt even know what was going on. I dont think Axl did either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Does anyone have a video of that Desmond guy from MCD offering the crowd red rope liqourise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Could be some talk on TV3 about it soon. Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

I sold my ticket at 4pm, arent i glad i did!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

GUNS N ROSES: STATEMENT ISSUED BY PROMOTERS MCD AND THE MANAGEMENT OF THE O2
    News last updated: 02-09-2010

back to news

Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.

Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,
    people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

The Nal wrote: »
    Why would the ushers know anything? And why would you listen to them or ask them anything? MCD and Desmond didnt even know what was going on. I dont think Axl did either.

I know, I was just explaining that why some people might have assumed that the concert was over due to ushers telling them to hold onto the tickets. I think when the house lights came on, they shoulld have said that they were turning them on for health and safety reasons, it usually indicates end of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Its never official unless its announced on the PA. "Mick the security guard" from Darndale isnt going to make my mind up for me.

This would be the same PA system that told people FU*K ALL about what what was going on for the duration of the no show? Or is the same PA system that was used to announce the technical diffculties that followed AFTER the band had left the stage due to Mr. Rose's hissy fit. Or possibly the PA system used by the promotoer to ask people to please be NICE and maybe, just maybe Mr. Rose would come back on stage (and cover everybodies arses except the punters who were told and assumed based on previous signs - no band, house lights on etc) and play fo rthem well past the suppossed curfew that was in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gridlock wrote: »
    MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show.

How nice of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No mention of a refund. LOL. I'm so glad I decided to keep my money in my pocket. What a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

phil1nj wrote: »
    This would be the same PA system that told people FU*K ALL about what what was going on for the duration of the no show? Or is the same PA system that was used to announce the technical diffculties that followed AFTER the band had left the stage due to Mr. Rose's hissy fit. Or possibly the PA system used by the promotoer to ask people to please be NICE and maybe, just maybe Mr. Rose would come back on stage (and cover everybodies arses except the punters who were told and assumed based on previous signs - no band, house lights on etc) and play fo rthem well past the suppossed curfew that was in place?

yes THAT pa system.....the one where they make official announcements when they know anything.....

o1s1n wrote: »
    How nice of them.

It ain't their fault that Axl is a self-obsessed muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Ushers and security guards get told what is happening at a gig. Otherwise they wouldn't know how to deal with the patrons. It's a health and safety issue. They are there to assist safety and security. To do that they are generally told what is happening. Did you never here the announcement at football matches for ushers to go to their post match positions, usually just before the match ends? Usually get the same thing at concerts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But the show wasn't running late as the support were on stage on time (even if they were there for over an hour).
    The fact that the main event started late isn't IMO the same as running late as running late makes it sound accidental.

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    Ushers and security guards get told what is happening at a gig. Otherwise they wouldn't know how to deal with the patrons. It's a health and safety issue. They are there to assist safety and security. To do that they are generally told what is happening. Did you never here the announcement at football matches for ushers to go to their post match positions, usually just before the match ends? Usually get the same thing at concerts.

sorry but no its not! very few of the security would have known anything, many moons ago i worked for that security company in the old point and they get told f*ck all! Only the higher ups hear anything, and last night when NO ONE knew wtf was going on, no security member would have heard anything, they knew about as much as the punters did!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 irishtweety

Sums it up perfectly... A bit of courtesy for the fans who paid good money to see GNR would have been nice... It wasn't offered by GNR when they arrived late on stage so at least it could have been offered by the promoter / O2/whoever.... Good customer service means you give an update even if the update is "we have no update"

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t_rizzle

haha love that tv3 are just reading posts from this and claiming they are texts sent in to them!

yes THAT pa system.....the one where they make official announcements when they know anything.....

Glad you cleared that up for me.
    I just assumed that , in the interests of health and safety or even just to let people know what time they could expect the concert might finish at so people could get out of there (you know because of silly little things like public transport shutting down, carparks closing , buses waiting to bring people to other places outside of Dublin etc.) or even just maybe letting babysitters know that they might be a little later than planned in getting back home say, they might have made some sort of announcement over this system.

Obviously they couldn't because these people organising the event knew nothing, right? And boy did it show!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

sorry but no its not! very few of the security would have known anything, many moons ago i worked for that security company in the old point and they get told f*ck all! Only the higher ups hear anything, and last night when NO ONE knew wtf was going on, no security member would have heard anything, they knew about as much as the punters did!

Fair enough. I definitely agree that they didn't know anything last night. But I understand why people believed the security

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its never official unless its announced on the PA. "Mick the security guard" from Darndale isnt going to make my mind up for me.
    In fairness, most if not all of the security wear earpieces.
    If Mick from Darndale does tell someone that the gig is over, most people would accept what they say is true. Security guards at concerts don't tend to wander around saying that the gig is over!

• Advertisement

I wonde will Axl or someone connected with the band(I'm not gonna use the name), release a statement in relation to all this ****??? I doubt it, though. They got paid - that's all they give a **** about.

He was doing the same stuff in Slane back in 1992 - kept the crowd waiting for over 2 hours while - wait for it - he went fishing down the river!!!!

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I definitely agree that they didn't know anything last night. But I understand why people believed the security

id say most of them were nervous something was gonna happen if the gig was pulled so they were hedging their bets, i dont agree with it at all buit im assuming thats what they did!
    kbannon wrote: »

only about 10 security officers have headsets or ear pieces, and theres alot more than 10 security members workin at that gig!

If Mick from Darndale does tell someone that the gig is over, most people would accept what they say is true. Security guards at concerts don't tend to wander around saying that the gig is over!

Accept its true really? Quite an assumption.

for the record, Im embarrassed to be an Irish gig goer today, ****ing embarrassed. No excuses for the bottler throwers, none. Theres electrics, pyro etc on stage and people are throwing up full pints? Do we want a reputation as a country for that? Do we want security guards in every crowd for every gig? ****ing idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

They posted a statement :rolleyes:

GUNS N ROSES: STATEMENT ISSUED BY PROMOTERS MCD AND THE MANAGEMENT OF THE O2

News last updated: 02-09-2010
    back to news
    gunsnroses.jpg
    Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.
    Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.
    During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,
    people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.
    From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.
    The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.
    While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=9096...nroses&cat=all

The statement from MCD I (for once) agree with.

No excuse for people throwing bottles and it was totally fair enough that Axl walked off. I'm surprised he came back actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Love the way MCD are making out he was only "a bit late"....as if that support band were meant to play as long as they did....

Jaysus guns would hate to interfere with Danko jones set time!!

Point taken about the bottles....knackers

Accept its true really? Quite an assumption.

for the record, Im embarrassed to be an Irish gig goer today, ****ing embarrassed. No excuses for the bottler throwers, none. Theres electrics, pyro etc on stage and people are throwing up full pints? Do we want a reputation as a country for that? Do we want security guards in every crowd for every gig? ****ing idiots.

I'm not making excuses for anyone throwing stuff up on stage, its mindless and pig ignorant but you seem to be taking the line that its all the punters fault and that the band (Read: Axl Rose) were the innocent victims here. Axl Rose got his arse well and truly handed to him last night because of his diva antics, turning up late and then disrespecting the crowd and for which the, majority of the paying public, were suitably unimpressed.

Most of the punters there wanted to see and hear G'N'R play their hits and some new stuff. Most peopel didn't get wildly drunk and start hurling missles up on stage yet everybody was treated with utter contempt by this so called Rock Star when he kept people waiting for teh guts of 2 hours while he did God knows what. What did you think people would do?

I've been to many concerts in Ireland and seen my fair share of drunken people carried out and in bits. I've seen punch ups and puking but strangely enough I've also seen a lot of genuinely entertained people when the band/singer/artist/whatever delivers what the people have come to see. This didn't happen last night despite what certain people say on this thread. And it all satrted with the unnecessary delay between 9.30 and 10.30pm
    All the excuses have been peddled out - Its Axl, what did you expect, they came back out and played a great gig (??), it was the bottle throwers fault , people should know better at this stage. All bullsh*t excuses to hide the fact that deep down inside it was obvious this boy couldn't and didn't give a flying f*ck about his fans and showed it with his antics.

I'm not making excuses for anyone throwing stuff up on stage, its mindless and pig ignorant but you seem to be taking the line that its all the punters fault and that the band (Read: Axl Rose) were the innocent victims here. Axl Rose got his arse well and truly handed to him last night because of his diva antics, turning up late and then disrespecting the crowd and for which the, majority of the paying public, were suitably unimpressed.

Most of the punters there wanted to see and hear G'N'R play their hits and some new stuff. Most peopel didn't get wildly drunk and start hurling missles up on stage yet everybody was treated with utter contempt by this so called Rock Star when he kept people waiting for teh guts of 2 hours while he did God knows what. What did you think people would do?

I've been to many concerts in Ireland and seen my fair share of drunken people carried out and in bits. I've seen punch ups and puking but strangely enough I've also seen a lot of genuinely entertained people when the band/singer/artist/whatever delivers what the people have come to see. This didn't happen last night despite what certain people say on this thread. And it all satrted with the unnecessary delay between 9.30 and 10.30pm
    All the excuses have been peddled out - Its Axl, what did you expect, they came back out and played a great gig (??), it was the bottle throwers fault , people should know better at this stage. All bullsh*t excuses to hide the fact that deep down inside it was obvious this boy couldn't and didn't give a flying f*ck about his fans and showed it with his antics.

Axl has been the same since 1986!! Its 100% what I expected. Yes he should have acknowledged that he was late but ****ing bottles at him is not cool.

I disagree about the fans, he does care, hes just totally ****ed up in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Mick from Darndale

"you're on liveline"

0001d0be0D2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cournioni wrote: »
    Sounds like every other wanky guitarist on the planet. Has he wrote any notable songs?

Has buckethead?

( think buckethead was top 2 last poll i saw)

Advertisement