Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months traveling Australia and NZ - advice please

Options
  • 02-09-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi everyone.

I have searched through this forum looking for all the info I will need but still have 1 or 2 questions niggling in my head. I'm planning on going to Australia end of Oct and then NZ in Jan so will be traveling for 3 months. Now I am a complete novice to traveling (I have never stayed in a hostel or camped in my life!!!) I am also going to be traveling on my own which I am very nervous about but decided it has to be this way after waiting for friends to come with me the last 3 years only to have them cancel a million and one times on me. I am in my late twenties and feel this is the only time I can ever do this.

My rough plan is to go to Sydney and meet a group called OZintro where they will put me up for 7 nights hostel accommodation and bring other travelers that have signed up that week on loads of day activities for the week. It is a way to get to know other new travelers of Australia whether they are on their own or in small groups. I was then thinking of flying to Alice Springs so I can see Ayers Rock (think there is a 3 day tour to do this). Next I'm planning on flying to Cairns and then work my way down the East coast here by bus. I am thinking of spending Christmas in Sydney and then after New Years fly to NZ and travel around there for 3 or 4 weeks and then fly home.

I would love to hear from previous travelers of these areas to give me advice. My mind has a million questions but I think the most important at the moment are the following:
    1. How much money do you think I should have to cover me for the 3 months? I want to visit as many places as I can and will stay in hostels to help my money last longer. I was thinking I should have €5000. Is this enough?
    2. I was advised to leave NZ last. Do you think the route I have chosen is ok or would anybody else advise different?
    3. Has anybody went with the group Ozintro? I have had one friend that went with them 4 years ago and said they were great to meet fellow travelers. I don't know anybody else that has booked with them.

Ok I'll leave it to 3 questions for now - I don't want to be boring you :) If anyone can help answer my questions or even give me extra advice I would really appreciate it. I feel since I will be traveling on my own (and I have never done anything like this before) I need to have a good idea of what I am doing :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Tif wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I have searched through this forum looking for all the info I will need but still have 1 or 2 questions niggling in my head. I'm planning on going to Australia end of Oct and then NZ in Jan so will be traveling for 3 months. Now I am a complete novice to traveling (I have never stayed in a hostel or camped in my life!!!) I am also going to be traveling on my own which I am very nervous about but decided it has to be this way after waiting for friends to come with me the last 3 years only to have them cancel a million and one times on me. I am in my late twenties and feel this is the only time I can ever do this.

My rough plan is to go to Sydney and meet a group called OZintro where they will put me up for 7 nights hostel accommodation and bring other travelers that have signed up that week on loads of day activities for the week. It is a way to get to know other new travelers of Australia whether they are on their own or in small groups. I was then thinking of flying to Alice Springs so I can see Ayers Rock (think there is a 3 day tour to do this). Next I'm planning on flying to Cairns and then work my way down the East coast here by bus. I am thinking of spending Christmas in Sydney and then after New Years fly to NZ and travel around there for 3 or 4 weeks and then fly home.

I would love to hear from previous travelers of these areas to give me advice. My mind has a million questions but I think the most important at the moment are the following:
    1. How much money do you think I should have to cover me for the 3 months? I want to visit as many places as I can and will stay in hostels to help my money last longer. I was thinking I should have €5000. Is this enough?
    2. I was advised to leave NZ last. Do you think the route I have chosen is ok or would anybody else advise different?
    3. Has anybody went with the group Ozintro? I have had one friend that went with them 4 years ago and said they were great to meet fellow travelers. I don't know anybody else that has booked with them.

Ok I'll leave it to 3 questions for now - I don't want to be boring you :) If anyone can help answer my questions or even give me extra advice I would really appreciate it. I feel since I will be traveling on my own (and I have never done anything like this before) I need to have a good idea of what I am doing :)

Not sure if 5000 will be enough for the amount of travel you want to do. What kind of activities do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

Hi Jank
    Thanks for replying. To be honest I want to get as much as I can get done. The usual well known spots on the east coast - fraser island and whitsundays of course but then want to see/do different things in different towns/cities. Part of me is thinking of leaving NZ and just get East Coast of Australia done if I don't have enough money but would really like to go to NZ if I can budget it well. In your opinion Jank how much do you think I would need?

Well NZ is cheaper than OZ and tbh NZ is much better place to travel than OZ. OK I have not done much travel in OZ but NZ is fcuking class and you would be mad not to go there.
    I have no idea how much you would need. With 5k you could do what you want but would have to be careful on activites. Eat cheaply, stay in share dorms get a bus pass to travel from A-B especially in NZ.

Like flying from Sydney to Alice springs and then onto Cairns is going to be expensive. Those who have travelled the east coast of OZ will give a better run down of costs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Don't forget when you convert 5K into their currency it's going to look like alot more! :D

If you have a rough idea of all the activities and hostels you will be staying in, then I'm sure you could work out roughly how much each thing would be from the websites?

If you know of any friends or relatives out there don't forget to meet up with them and stay with them the odd night as that can save on expenses :D

Oh are you planning on paying for flights(like within Oz and to NZ) out of your 5K?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I spent two months travelling the east coast from Melbourne to Cairns plus Uluru (best thing I did in Aus). Spent around 2k a month but I didn't stay in the cheapest accomodation or do the cheapest trips so I suppose you could do it cheaper but I didn't do a lot of drinking either so that would add alot to your cost. I'd also bear it mind that the cost of flying to Alice Springs / Uluru is pretty high - I flew with Tiger Airlines return from Melbourne to Alice Springs - this was the cheapest place that I found to fly along the east coast when I was looking. Think Tiger might fly Alice Springs - Brisbane as well. Also costs around Sydney are xmas and new years would be pretty high.

If you're struggling for funds I'd do Asia (cheap cheap) and NZ - both better than Aus IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Cypher.

I've spent the last 3 years down under, 1 in Oz and 2 in NZ and i can say i much preferred NZ.. It depends what u wanna get out of it...

Oz tended to be more on the piss everywhere and seeing the sights... Apart from my trip between Darwin to Melbourne over 21 days, i didnt do a whole lot of Adventure.

NZ on the other hand, everywhere you go is something to do.
    for NZ travel magicbus, kiwibus and straytravel will bring you around.. its good for solo travel... travelled with both magic and stray both were fine.. kiwi bus tends to be for 18-23 drinking partying etc, i was a older than that age.

Ur euros will double in NZ, its cheap to eat out their and in Oz too.. better beer in NZ aswell..

if u have any questions let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Think you would struggle on 5k to be honest. I spent the bones of $5000 in just over 3 weeks doing the east coast. having said that we did rent a car and stayed in twin rooms mostly in hostels but if you want to do all the activities and go on the piss oz aint cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Oz is extremely expensive now. This wasn't the case a few years ago. My aussie girlfriend and I went there for January last year and we were both surprised. Especially her as she had left just 2 years previously.

We spent GBP1500 each there in 3 weeks, and that was staying with family a lot of the time, being lent cars rather than renting, etc. Granted we did a big diving trip, and tended to stay in hotels when not crashing with others, and ate out more than we would if we were backpacking, but then we didn't really go on the lash either.

And I would also echo that NZ was better. But then I prefer the outdoors to big cities. If you are the other way around you may well prefer Sydney/Melbourne to NZ.

Jealous though, you'll have a blast!

Hi everyone - just logged in now to see all the replies. Thanks very much for replying to me. Loads of you have mentioned how NZ is much nicer. I have heard this from so many people and really do want to go here so would hate if I haven't budgeted enough for here so I think I will have to be pretty strict with myself regarding money :eek: :)

ToniTuddle - you asked if I was paying for internal flights using the 5k - I won't be for the flights to NZ and back but was thinking maybe for flights to Ayers rock and Cairns. I am a teacher so I really want to go to Ayers rock. I find it fascinating and would love to see the sunrise or set here. It seems so far away from everywhere else that a flight seems better than bus or rail. Maybe someone might disagree with me and let me know if these are better? Trailfinders say that if I book the flight with them before I go it will be a little bit cheaper - only downside to that is that I will have to stick with it - afraid I might meet other nice travelers that are starting east coast first and then I wouldn't be able to travel with them. Unfortunately I don't know that many people over there at all and I did years ago :( so I'll be staying in a lot of hostels. I'm hoping to maybe meet friends of friends over there :)

Jonnybravo - I'm not planning on staying in hotels or anything and don't mind sharing dorms in hostels once the hostel is nice. I'm guessing they are not all the same price are they? Again I am hoping to not spend as much on food or drink. I do want to go out and go mad some nights but I couldn't possibly do that every night. I don't do it here so won't do it over there. The only reason I will go out at night is to get to know other travelers. Also a lot of tours have you get up early in the morning for their activities :) I don't want to be spending the day missing the activity wishing for my bed :)

Cypher - thanks for the info on NZ - I really want to go here but do you know I have no research looked at whatsoever on this place. I have loads done for OZ. I suppose in my mind I was waiting to get all info for OZ first before NZ. Any places you would def recommend to see here? I also want to do a skydive and was told either go to Mission beach or NZ. I don't know anyone that has gone to both places and of course they all say the place they did it was best but I am inclined to go with the NZ skydive as people say the views are just amazing. I wonder can anybody confirm that on here?

paidi09 - Yeah I don't think I'll be renting a car since I'm traveling on myown but will get a license just incase there might be other travelers wanting to share renting one. I would only do so if there was 4 of us. It would be too costly if it was just 2 of us. The same with accommodation - I'm not planning on staying in hotels or small dorms - I don't mind sharing with people once they are some bit sane :) - I do want to do all the activities but won't be drinking every night (I know I will on tours for Fraser and Whitsundays but you buy your own alcohol here so hopefully will be cheaper :) )I wouldn't be able to function the next day if I out every night :)

csm - wow you did spend a lot in the 3 weeks alright - I think I will need to be really strict with myself money wise and see before I go the things I can afford and those I can not. I do want to go to NZ so I doubt I will let that out unless I am badly stuck for money. I live in Cork city and love it but want to experience the views and beaches in OZ and NZ. I've also heard Sydney and Melbourne are the most expensive places in OZ. I have a friend in Melbourne but not sure if I am going here yet- if I do at least I will save on accommodation costs :) I'm really looking forward to it now alright. It should be some experience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jules7723

I would think you would need around 6 or 7K or else, as you say you will need to pick and choose what activities/places to do. Some things are much more worth doing than others I think, for instance thought Great Barrier Reef was great, Whitsundays not so much, could have easily done without it to be honest.

I travelled in Oz in 2000 on a real shoestring budget while I worked over there, moved around quite a bit but didn't have much money to do sightseeing activites, spent it more on accommodation, food and transport. One thing I really wanted to do was visit Uluru/Ayer's Rock - so when I went back to Oz to visit friends in Sydney in 2003, I also went to Uluru. I think it was well worth it, yes, flights were expensive, accommodation there is overpriced but I really got a lot out of it and thought the rock was magical first thing in the morning. I don't regret going for a minute and it sounds like you will enjoy it too.

I visited NZ in 2000 for 3 weeks and managed to get around most of the two islands - I bought a bus ticket for one of the main companies (whatever the equivalent of Bus Eireann is) and it was good value. I thought hostels in NZ are much higher standard than Oz and have a nice friendly feel to them.

Both Oz and NZ have plenty to do but just remember you don't have to cram in tons of activities, sometimes just sitting on a beach or walking around a city/town (like Christchurch in NZ or Sydney in Oz) can be a great (and cheap) experience. I think your plan to do Oz and then NZ is probably a good one as you might find it cheaper in NZ. Best of luck with it, feel free to ask me questions if you need any help. I've been to Oz three times and love it there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Also if driving in Australia on holiday, your Irish driving licence is fine for Australia, no need to get International driving licence - Its not required.

And has someone has said above, you can get just as good/great/better experience in Oz by just walking down the street/the shops/heading to the beach = living like an Aussie for a small while, and of course visiting places inbetween, it's fab place!! Looking at going back for a few months travelling myself...still trying to get around the idea of going it alone...ah well you only live once hey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you're stuck for cash it might be an idea to pre-book some of your costs..accomodation, tours, etc. At least this way you will be getting some of your major costs out of the way. I'm not sure what you want to do, but maybe think of doing a tour..they are a great way to meet fellow travellers and you spend v little outside of the initial price. Food is included and all you spend is the odd bit here and there. A great way if you are afraid you will burn up cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Beachband wrote: »
    Also if driving in Australia on holiday, your Irish driving licence is fine for Australia, no need to get International driving licence - Its not required.

I would get an Australian driver's licence, simply because it's going to make going out a lot easier. Most places will require ID, and many won't take an Irish licence. A Queensland licence for a year won't set you back more than $20-25 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I would get an Australian driver's licence, simply because it's going to make going out a lot easier. Most places will require ID, and many won't take an Irish licence. A Queensland licence for a year won't set you back more than $20-25 I'd say.

For driving in Oz - It's been mentioned here before, if holidaying - you dont need to change over your Irish drivring licence, so no need to fork out for extra that is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Beachband wrote: »
    For driving in Oz - It's been mentioned here before, if holidaying - you dont need to change over your Irish drivring licence, so no need to fork out for extra that is not required.

I didn't say he would need it for driving. Fact is that if you're planning to go out in Australia, an Irish licence is often as useful as the corner of a foolscap page with your picture drawn on it with crayons. For that reason, a local licence is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I didn't say he would need it for driving. Fact is that if you're planning to go out in Australia, an Irish licence is often as useful as the corner of a foolscap page with your picture drawn on it with crayons. For that reason, a local licence is useful.
    For sure. In Brisbane they won't even look at it. A proof of age card is a worthwhile investment. The Irish licence is an embarrassment and it's too risky carrying a passport.

Never had an issue using my license where ever I have been in NZ or Sydney.
    Might be different up the coast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crascred

Travelled the east coast, Uluru and NZ June-Aug 2008. Tour busses esp in NZ are a good idea, get to meet people etc. This will happen in the hostels as well, it is so easy.

Id say go to a place like Peter Pans to sort internal flights i found them quite good and I also know that quite a few people used Wicked Travel. As to whether that is the cheapest option i'm afraid i don't know. I went on the advice of a friend and found them very good.

Peter Pans, at that time, had an office in Sydney [think they are also in other cities and pretty sure they have an outlet in Cairns] near the top of Pitt St. just round the cornor from Wake Up, which imo was one of the best hostels i stayed in for the whole trip. They, PPs, can book hostels along the coast in advance but i actually think you might be better doing that as you go if you can so that if you take a liking to a particular place you can stay for longer. That being said if you plan to be in Sydney for Christmas and New Year i guess You would need to have the accomodation booked fairly well in advance.

I got a holiday loan for 8k, don't actually know if such things exist anymore:). However i was being paid while there as well, I share the same profession with you. Given the time you're travelling i'm guessing that wont be the case with you. Advice would be bring as much as you can and budget accordingly.

Have a great time [as if you'd need to be told that] and while you look at the sun rising and setting over the Pacific in Nov/Dec think of us back here looking out the window at the rain etc!

Enjoy:)

crascred wrote: »
    Travelled the east coast, Uluru and NZ June-Aug 2008. Tour busses esp in NZ are a good idea, get to meet people etc. This will happen in the hostels as well, it is so easy.

Id say go to a place like Peter Pans to sort internal flights i found them quite good and I also know that quite a few people used Wicked Travel. As to whether that is the cheapest option i'm afraid i don't know. I went on the advice of a friend and found them very good.

Peter Pans, at that time, had an office in Sydney [think they are also in other cities and pretty sure they have an outlet in Cairns] near the top of Pitt St. just round the cornor from Wake Up, which imo was one of the best hostels i stayed in for the whole trip. They, PPs, can book hostels along the coast in advance but i actually think you might be better doing that as you go if you can so that if you take a liking to a particular place you can stay for longer. That being said if you plan to be in Sydney for Christmas and New Year i guess You would need to have the accomodation booked fairly well in advance.

I got a holiday loan for 8k, don't actually know if such things exist anymore:). However i was being paid while there as well, I share the same profession with you. Given the time you're travelling i'm guessing that wont be the case with you. Advice would be bring as much as you can and budget accordingly.

Have a great time [as if you'd need to be told that] and while you look at the sun rising and setting over the Pacific in Nov/Dec think of us back here looking out the window at the rain etc!

Enjoy:)

Thanks crascred for all that info. It is great to hear of someone who did similar tour to what I want to do. I'm thinking I will need more money alright just to be on safe side so I must look into that :) I'm really looking forward to going now. I'm booking my tickets this week. Even though I'll be traveling on my own I'm sure I will have a great time. Thanks again for the advice.

Thank you jules7723 for telling me of your experience. I definitely want to see Uluru's rock for sure. I think it will be fabulous there. I must def try and rope together a bit more money to make sure I don't miss out on too much. No doubt I will look forward to days just relaxing in places too - I'll be wrecked from all the traveling and heat. I won't know what will hit me :)

Thanks to everyone else too that gave me advice regarding the driver's license. I'm still not sure whether I should get one yet. I'll try and enquire with someone. It is not a guarantee that I will be driving over there but just in case I meet people that might want to share driving I'd like to be able to pull my weight a bit there. :D

Advertisement