Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro Road Helmets?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm looking to upgrade my helmet and was looking at the Giro Ionos and the Giro Prolight. Both are similiar enough in price, but the Ionos boasts the bigger vents, whereas the Prolight boasts the lighter weight. Any tips, comments, advice, experiences on either of these?

Cheers for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Unless you are a serious weight weenie vents all the way. Out of curiosity what is the weight difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Unless you are a serious weight weenie vents all the way. Out of curiosity what is the weight difference?

+1
    Never heard anyone complain that their helmet was too heavy at the end of a long hot spin.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

have a ionas , lovely to wear ,well made . it has a winter insert thats handy .

buy it off slane cycles as they dont charge the vat ,as its a safety product .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

When I was buying a new helmet recently I was considering the Ionos and the Prolight. I read some mixed reviews of the Prolight. Some people loved it, others didn't. I believe that most of the weight saving on the Prolight was made by replacing the "Roc Loc" retention system at the back with some form of elastic, and as far as I can recall it was this new retention system that divided most of the reviewers. It sounds like one of those scenarios where it is best to try before you buy.

One thing that swung me in favour of the Ionos was that the version of the Prolight sold in Europe does not meet the US helmet safety standard (according to this review from Feb 2010). The US helmet safety standard differs from the european one in a few respects but I believe the main difference is that the US standard requires the helmet to withstand greater impact force. According to the outside of the Ionos boxes that I've seen in CycleSuperStore, the version of the Ionos sold here does meet the US standard. The Ionos is already reasonably light so I decided that if I were to buy a Giro helmet I'd rather to go for the supposed greater protection that the Ionos provides in preference to the reduced weight of the Prolight. The Ionos also wins out by being cheaper.

I also read that the pro riders that used the Prolight during the Tour largely did so under some kind of contractual obligation and they switched back to the Ionos immediately afterwards. I read that in more than one place but probably best to take it with a pinch of salt as none of those were "official" sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

Anybody out there got helmet suggestions for riders with heads that don't quite fit the "normal" measurements? My current helmet is a Limar - size 63, but its wider around the temples and sides than any of the popular helmets that I can find out there in the shops. I've tried them all on but they are too tight around the temples & sides for me. I ask because my helmet is now nearing the end of it's useful life and I need a replacement soon.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Billycake wrote: »
    Anybody out there got helmet suggestions for riders with heads that don't quite fit the "normal" measurements? My current helmet is a Limar - size 63, but its wider around the temples and sides than any of the popular helmets that I can find out there in the shops. I've tried them all on but they are too tight around the temples & sides for me. I ask because my helmet is now nearing the end of it's useful life and I need a replacement soon.
    Thanks

I found the Giro just a little too narrow for me whereas both Met (Stradivarius) and Catlike (Whisper Plus) were fine. I wear one size higher on the Met than I do with the Catlike - beware too that the fit of the Catlike Whisper Plus seems to differ according to the year of manufacture as a 2009 model fit me well while a 2008 model of the same size was too tight.

I've also read that the tightening mechanism on Lazer helmets is good for round heads but I've not seen Lazer helmets in the shops here so I've never been able to try one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a prolight and a Monza. Love the prolight, but it is just an elasticated strap holding it on and the Roc-Loc on my Monza feels more secure. I would go for the Ionos if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I am probably selling my Giro Ionos in a few days, trying to get a Bell. Keep an eye on the cycling adverts if you are interested in buying one as it will be much cheaper than a brand new one, I think it's a 2009 or 2010 model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

big vents are handy if youve got an itchy head!! ive got a spuik helmet and i can only get me finger in one or two of the vents to scratch me head but i always seem to be itchy around one of the smaller vents!! i dont have fleas tho

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Billycake wrote: »
    Thanks

Same boat here, 62/63, impossible to get one that fits. Havent used a helmet in 4 or 5 years now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement