Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O Neill's photography Dublin 1987

• 02-09-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello
    This is my first post so I hope I am posting this query in the correct forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me to locate a copy of pictures taken of my children by O Neill's of Dublin around 1987. Does anybody know if this photographer is still in business? And the likelihood of negatives still being available.
    I would give anything to find these photos again. They were taken by a photographer from O Neill's going door to door in Galway. He returned with the photos, and I placed an order to have them printed on a block type mount. Alas, he never returned, and I, being very busy at the time, didn't chase it up.
    Thanks,
    Lucy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't like your chances but good luck. Even if you find the Photographer they would be unlikely to have kept the negatives for so long.

A quick search and I found Philip O'Neil Photography in Swords. The site says over 25 years of experience, so that could put him around starting off in the mid 80's. It's a long shot but worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

CabanSail, thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

I think they may be connected to the original O Neill's photography, which was near O Connell Bridge in Dublin. A street photographer would take random photographs, then hand a ticket to the person photographed, who could purchase the photo or not. Maybe they kept the films a long time...
    Worth a phone call anyway.

Thanks again
    Lucy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I used to live near Philip, he was originally based in Lusk AFAIK, he was definitely taking photos in 1987 (I have some seriously embarrassing baby/child pics from my childhood on the walls in my parent's house taken by him). I don't think he went door to door though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I used to live near Philip, he was originally based in Lusk AFAIK, he was definitely taking photos in 1987 (I have some seriously embarrassing baby/child pics from my childhood on the walls in my parent's house taken by him). I don't think he went door to door though.

You have plenty of embarrassing pictures taken by many people Halo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

CabanSail wrote: »
    A quick search and I found Philip O'Neil Photography in Swords. The site says over 25 years of experience, so that could put him around starting off in the mid 80's. It's a long shot but worth a call.
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I just found out that Philip O'Neill's father went from door to door (we are sitting under the embarrassing photos and dad just mentioned they were actually by Philip's father going door to door) and the earliest photos of me have a small label on them saying "O'Neill's Photography Dublin", they are from 1982, 1985 and 1988 and were done by Philip, his father and his brother (not necessarily in that order, they have forgotten who did which ones). So if you give Philip a shout he can give you more info but probably not the negs/photos.

And Tiny keep it down ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

Thank you all very much for the replies. I will definitely make contact with them after the holidays. You never know, they may have kept some negatives from the 1980's!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is amazing how people from all over the world can solve things like this.

It would be great if some negs can be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh <3 internet <3

Advertisement