Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about immigration in Newark

Options
  • 02-09-2010 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

I travelled to the US about a month and a half ago and I cleared immigration in Ireland. When I got to Newark and handed my blue form in, I was told to go to a secondary area for inspection. There I was questioned about whether or not I had any food with me and I said no. The officer said Are you sure, you don't even have a sandwich or anything? and I again replied no. I then had to hand over my passport and blue form and another officer sat with my passport at the computer for about 10 minutes. I was nervous at this stage because even though I knew I had nothing illegal and I was only there for a holiday, I still felt like they were going to send me home!!
    I was then called forward and the officer did a quick inspection of my bag, didn't even look in side pockets or search it thoroughly and then he said I was good to go.

I am just wondering why this happened? Do they have to search a certain amount of passengers? I think my blue form had a number written on it - does this mean the officer in Dublin wanted them to pull me aside? I was travelling by myself so this may have had some input.

Just wondering!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Creepy.

Don't bring anything to Australia. ANY-THING. If you forget to mention that you had a dry biscuit biscuit at the bottom of your handbag, you'll be hauled over the coals. :P Didn't know the States were doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Continental to Newark? I take those flights too. As you noted you went through immigration in ireland so its just customs you're dealing with in newark. They're only concerned with smugglers or weird food. You must have fit some kind of profile; or maybe they were just having a quiet day.

Its creepy though I agree.

I've frequently answered yes to the "have you been on a farm" question which results in being passed on to another guy who waves you on. Once they cleaned my muddy boots with a toothbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yep, it was Continental. The weird thing was, while the officer was typing my details into the computer I started thinking to myself... ****... what if I accidently packed some food, even though I knew I hadn't? American customs officers always have this effect on me, they make me feel guilty even when I haven't done anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its the American way. Intimidation. It can be scary when faced with some loud armed american in a uniform. It seems worse than it is though, they're generally nice people.

I think the worst thing they would do if they found food was take it from you, I'm sure there's laws and punishments to back that up but I really dont think they'd bother with tourists.

Advertisement