Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Module Registration 2010 (Sept 2nd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I found a Level 0 elective that I like the look of - Introduction to Mechanics. Why is this Level 0, and not Level 1 - what is the difference? Is it Level 0 because it is alike Applied Maths for the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I jsut started and where the hell is english? Don't tell me its full already:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to register?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm not sure. I moved Principle of Microeconomics to S1 and Principle of Macroeconomics to S2 - though I'm not sure if I am supposed to do that :S

I'd suggest you do it that way. If you do micro and macro in one semester, you'll just end up getting confused.

Also, to everyone worrying, you've to do a minimum of 20 credits and a maximum of 40 credits in each semester. As long as you have 60 credits overall you're fine. Most people just do 30 each semester (including electives) to balance things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

History is in group B, Politics is in group D, so they shouldn't conflict with each other.

Ooops, my bad- meant to say English and politics!

• Advertisement

Seriously, can someone please tell me why English isn't in group D?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Have you already chosen English or are you choosing it now as a 3rd subject/stream? If you chose it when filling in your CAO, you pick modules for it later on in the registration process. If not, I dunno how to help, sorry :confused:

snooleen wrote: »
    Have you already chosen English or are you choosing it now as a 3rd subject/stream? If you chose it when filling in your CAO, you pick modules for it later on in the registration process. If not, I dunno how to help, sorry :confused:

No, I'm picking it as a third subject. All that are in Group D are Politics and Archeology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

aine92 wrote: »
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to register?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Guys this is probably a stupid question. Doing Physics with astronomy. Picked my 5 core, 4 options, 1 science option and then 2 electives. Thats it right?

• Advertisement

Sorry I couldn't help kev9100 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I found a Level 0 elective that I like the look of - Introduction to Mechanics. Why is this Level 0, and not Level 1 - what is the difference? Is it Level 0 because it is alike Applied Maths for the LC?
    If you got over a B3 in Applied Maths, you don't need to to take Introduction to Mechanics, so that leaves me guessing that it's exactly like the Leaving Cert Applied Maths course.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Wait, we can do Level 2 subjects? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rii

Sefirah wrote: »
    Omg I feel like such a nerd... been up since 5 refreshing the page!! XD d'oh!!

Sounds like you got some interesting ones! Psychology was really tempting, but I suck at biology and apparently theres a bit of maths there too which ain't too good for pass class rejects like myself!
    Good choice on Italian, though- I gave a few languages a go at one point, and by far Italian was the easiest- even more so than Spanish, I'd say. Also, it's the language of food- therefore can't go wrong :P I picked Arabic, the language of... Bin Laden?! Lol!
    And yup, politics and history in the same group... no idea what genius made that decision- after all, they're subjects that compliment eachother- grrrr!!!

Haha, oh no, I meant that the lectures start at 9am :D I told you my English sucks. Don't feel like a nerd, I was up all night. Top that. :D
    A bit of maths, you say? Ok. I didn't know that. I'm screwed. One more reason to hate my life now. Arabic is an interesting choice! Would be too hard for me, I think.

Well, congrats to everyone who got the subjects they wanted and have a few days off during the week! And those who don't have to get up at 9 every morning! :(:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

YouthNovel wrote: »
    Wait, we can do Level 2 subjects? Seriously?

You can do, but its not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,247 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

do you have to have 10 credits registered for electives? or can you have 55 core and do 1 elective?. Really pissed off, thought registration was supposed to be in the afternoon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Eternaldream

I studied Spanish in Leaving Cert, and wanted to start on Intermediate Spanish in UCD. When I went to go register for it though, Beginners Spanish was only there...

Is this usual or did something go wrong? I still registered for Beginners Spanish just to make sure I had a place in Spanish, but if I go to the registration help in Orientation Week do you guys think I'll be able to change to Intermediate Spanish...?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

You can do, but its not recommended.

But what if you're only doing one... And what if it's in the second module. And what if it's bleedin deadly?

PHYS20020

:mad:Well, **** you UCD. Not only did I not get any English modules I couldn't get in to one of the French classes. I got 20 for history, 15 for French, 15 for politics and 10 for sociology. Is there any way I can drop 5 from politics and add 5 to French?

I'm sure we can all change stuff around, I'd say everyone going made all the mistakes/missed out on stuff just like we did. If this was it-this is what you're studying for the next year and possible 3/4 years then they wouldn't have registration guides during orientation and you wouldn't be able to deselect or drop/swap modules/subjects. I, for one, am depending on going to the registration help as soon as I get the chance during orientation. Then at least things will be clearer and we'll possibly be able to change around a good bit. Someone doing the Italian module you wanted is probably wishing they were doing the Spanish one you have instead! This seems to be the case anyway, just from being on here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If I choose an elective now, but then change my mind sometime next week - can I do this, or are the choices I make now final?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If I choose an elective now, but then change my mind sometime next week - can I do this, or are the choices I make now final?

You can change as much as you like when the registration system is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

Liam O wrote: »
    do you have to have 10 credits registered for electives? or can you have 55 core and do 1 elective?. Really pissed off, thought registration was supposed to be in the afternoon :rolleyes:
    I think you can have 55 core and 1 elective, at least that's what I have.

All of my modules are Science and my elective is Psychology.
    On the right-hand side my core is 55 but my elective is 0. I still have 60 though. I hope that is because the elective is provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

On the right-hand side my core is 55 but my elective is 0. I still have 60 though. I hope that is because the elective is provisional.

Snap! It says 60 for the semester breakdown yeah? Thats what mine is like and I was worried I made a balls of it. One of my electives is provisional too

It's level 0 because it's purely there to provide a basis for students who will be taking mechanics and who didn't do either physics or applied maths for the Leaving Cert.

It's kind of a pre-mechanics.

It's fine with only 1 elective, I only had one last year.

Provisional places will be allocated on the 10th of September, and when you definitely get those places, the credits will show up.

Is there a high chance that I won't get my Provisional electives? Is it random, or does it depend on what time you register for them?

Is there a high chance that I won't get my Provisional electives? Is it random, or does it depend on what time you register for them?

Random apparently, for everyone in UCD, both of mine are provisional at the moment so fingers crossed I'll get one.

Depends on the electives. English electives are difficult to get, as such a large number of Arts students take it, but in contrast, Computer Science and Maths electives don't seem to be too difficult to get.
    What electives did you apply for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It's level 0 because it's purely there to provide a basis for students who will be taking mechanics and who didn't do either physics or applied maths for the Leaving Cert.

It's kind of a pre-mechanics.
    Should probably add that if you ever want to take ACM10030 Mechanics and Special Relativity you either have to have passed MAPH/ACM00010 or achieved a B grade in HL Applied Maths.

I wouldn't recommend that module if you're looking for easy credits though.

Advertisement