Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Module Registration 2010 (Sept 2nd)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

What's the story with language electives?I got an A1 in french and A2 in german in the LC, so according to this link: http://www.ucd.ie/alc/flm/undergraduate/know.html I should do level 5.

I can only see level 4 though, does this mean that the level 5 places are taken or is it just that I'm actually not allowed do level 5 at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

I really like the electives i picked...i hope i get them as they are only provisional atm. I chose Political theory and Global Justice :D Can't wait to get started now!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

What's the story with language electives?I got an A1 in french and A2 in german in the LC, so according to this link: http://www.ucd.ie/alc/flm/undergraduate/know.html I should do level 5.

I can only see level 4 though, does this mean that the level 5 places are taken or is it just that I'm actually not allowed do level 5 at all?
    only allowed to do 0, 1 and 2 i'm afraid. 3 with permission i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

lctake2 wrote: »
    only allowed to do 0, 1 and 2 i'm afraid. 3 with permission i think

Sorry, i confused the "levels" with "ALC stages". I don't know if they're the same thing, but I was talking about the electives called "french general purp. 5" etc.
    In any case it turned out to be a timetable clash, so that's that gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rii

Uhm, I'm a little bit confused, maybe someone could help :)

For my electives I chose Italian, 5 credits each:
    Italian General Purposes 1 (LANG10010) for semester 1 and
    Italian General Purposes 2 (LANG10070) for semester 2.
    But now I've looked at them again and in the descriptions of these it said they're both for semester 1 & 2? So... I don't get it :confused::D Am I allowed to pick these modules together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Rii wrote: »
    Uhm, I'm a little bit confused, maybe someone could help :)

For my electives I chose Italian, 5 credits each:
    Italian General Purposes 1 (LANG10010) for semester 1 and
    Italian General Purposes 2 (LANG10070) for semester 2.
    But now I've looked at them again and in the descriptions of these it said they're both for semester 1 & 2? So... I don't get it :confused::D Am I allowed to pick these modules together?

I think it means there both available in semester 1 and 2 in case you want to do Italian General Purposes 1 in semester 2 or something :)* What you did is grand I'd say

*Wild Guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

spanish and english are gone D: So pissed off!! All the subjects left are ones i dont want to do, boring ones! I have geog and archaeology pre-selected so im assuming i have 20 creds already picked for these by ucd? Can i do electives in geog or arch or do i have to pick another subject? ARghhhh:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

muffinz wrote: »
    spanish and english are gone D: So pissed off!! All the subjects left are ones i dont want to do, boring ones! I have geog and archaeology pre-selected so im assuming i have 20 creds already picked for these by ucd? Can i do electives in geog or arch or do i have to pick another subject? ARghhhh:mad:

You can take credits up to a maximum of 20 in each subject (that includes the pre-selected modules) so if you take the maximum credits in archaeology and geography, you'll have an extra 10 credits to fill from another subject, and then 10 more on electives- and don't worry, you can take a Spanish and an English elective too- for English you can choose 'The Essay' or 'Writing the Body' (or both) and there's Spanish in the ALC - best of luck!

Do i have to do electives or are they just an extra choice? Could i pick to do 20 creds of spanish electives? If i do spanish as an elective, can i carry it on into second year or do i have to drop it? Sorry for all the Qs!!

and when chosing a time for my arch module time - i can chose any, all the times are for the same lecture? What does it mean "offering 1 in.." "offering 5 in.."?

Also, it says that for "physical geog and environment" in the "how will i learn" section it says i need to do 4 hrs/semester of tutorials, but in the main labs/tuts section it says "no labs/tuts necessary for this module" The heck? VERY confused!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Do i have to do electives or are they just an extra choice? Could i pick to do 20 creds of spanish electives? If i do spanish as an elective, can i carry it on into second year or do i have to drop it? Sorry for all the Qs!!
    Unfortunately you can only do 10 credits worth of electives (which is a pain in the ass- I thought I could use the credits I didn't want in the core modules section to do more electives- wah!) I'm pretty sure that Spanish is one of these subjects that can go up a few levels, so you should be able to keep it on for next year too- just make sure you know the level you should be at starting, especially if you've studied it before, or else you might accidently sign up for beginners (level 1)
    I'm not sure about the other questions- got a bit confuzzled - sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

So I'm just after registering everything, was quite happy as I made sure all my times were 11 O'clock or after, then I go to my calender and I see I have a fúcking Lecture MONDAY TO THURSDAY AT FÚCKING 9 O CLOCK.

PLEASE TELL ME EVERYONE ELSE IS DOOMED TO A FATE OF ALARM CLOCKS AT 7:30 OR I WILL BE CONSIDERABLY DAMAGED EMOTIONALLY FOR THE REST OF MY COLLEGE LIFE

So I'm just after registering everything, was quite happy as I made sure all my times were 11 O'clock or after, then I go to my calender and I see I have a fúcking Lecture MONDAY TO THURSDAY AT FÚCKING 9 O CLOCK.

PLEASE TELL ME EVERYONE ELSE IS DOOMED TO A FATE OF ALARM CLOCKS AT 7:30 OR I WILL BE CONSIDERABLY DAMAGED EMOTIONALLY FOR THE REST OF MY COLLEGE LIFE

I have 9 O' Clock starts every day, and last year I had a two-hour commute on top of this. 5.30 alarm clocks ftl.

So calm yourself, and get excited about going to college and living in Dublin :D

It would be a lot easier to get excited if:

1. I knew exactly WHERE the place I've payed 4 grand for is...I live in Mayo and apparently Blackrock is shít.

2. I was doing Arts so I'd know the year would be spent drinking and scoring girls.

3. I could be confident that I'll actually get a job after college is over.

4. That I know I won't waste all my money and end up scavenging to make ends meet towards the end of every week.

5. UCD could actually tell us whether or not this registration stuff is final, not all of us have an older brother who goes to UCD and knows all the tricks off by heart, so excuse me if I feel like bítching because I'm not going to get the elective I want BECAUSE IT WON'T FÚCKING SHOW UP UNDER THE SEARCH MENU.

By the way this isn't directed as an insult towards you Conor I just felt like venting :)

It would be a lot easier to get excited if:

1. I knew exactly WHERE the place I've payed 4 grand for is...I live in Mayo and apparently Blackrock is shít.

2. I was doing Arts so I'd know the year would be spent drinking and scoring girls.

3. I could be confident that I'll actually get a job after college is over.

4. That I know I won't waste all my money and end up scavenging to make ends meet towards the end of every week.

5. UCD could actually tell us whether or not this registration stuff is final, not all of us have an older brother who goes to UCD and knows all the tricks off by heart, so excuse me if I feel like bítching because I'm not going to get the elective I want BECAUSE IT WON'T FÚCKING SHOW UP UNDER THE SEARCH MENU.

By the way this isn't directed as an insult towards you Conor I just felt like venting :)

1. Blackrock's grand. Had a friend living there last year. It is further though, and the buses to UCD from there are awful.

2. Unless you're doing my course (Mathematical Science), it seems you're gonna spend the year drinking and scoring girls anyway. Most non-nerds do. :D

3. That is ****.
    5. That is ****.
    4. Everybody does that, I'm in the same boat there. But sure, feic it. :D

Even though most days I dont have classes till 11, i have to get up at 6 to get the bus at 7, get there at 9 and then have to wander around for 2 hours each morning, wooohooooo:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

Am I the only one that has no choice over what times I have modules at?
    All of mine were auto-assigned.

Doing Engineering which is practically the same with a Math elective * snorts and puts his glasses back up to where they should be*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2. Unless you're doing my course (Mathematical Science), it seems you're gonna spend the year drinking and scoring girls anyway. Most non-nerds do. :D
    One of the biggest alcos I ever met in college was a Mathematical Science student. :pac:

Doing Engineering which is practically the same with a Math elective * snorts and puts his glasses back up to where they should be*

Nope. Engineering maths is lower-league stuff tbh. :P
    (Or at least mathematicians like to joke that it is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nope. Engineering maths is lower-league stuff tbh. :P
    (Or at least mathematicians like to joke that it is)

Has to be mentioned, even though I'm a filthy computer scientist.
    purity.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A Politics module was full when I logged on to register my modules which sucked and another one clashed with something. Had to pick Economics as my Arts subject for Social Science. Let the fun begin especially since I did FL maths for the LC but it is a challenge I am looking forward at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Mine were too.
    I have some stupid days with lectures first thing in the morning and then nothing until late afternoon. What am I supposed to do for 5 hours? Hardly study in the library for 3 hours first semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

What does WRK stand for on the timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Even though most days I dont have classes till 11, i have to get up at 6 to get the bus at 7, get there at 9 and then have to wander around for 2 hours each morning, wooohooooo:pac:

Snap on that, muffinz. UCD Is possibly the furthest college that's still in Leinster from my house. :P Maynooth is two train stops away from a train station which takes about 7 minutes to get to from my house. The same train, or the bus across the road, would get me to the city centre (and so, DITs, Trinity etc etc) in 40-50 minutes. But I had to pick the college AAAAGES away :P haha. My earliest start is ten, I think, But I'll have to be up at 6 at the latest for a bus down the village of my town at about half 7. But I'm happy :) (I have a feeling that public transport will suck all this happiness away, but meh.)

Anyway, we can be wandering friends? :) haha, I'll look out for ya!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Victoria. wrote: »
    Mine were too.
    I have some stupid days with lectures first thing in the morning and then nothing until late afternoon. What am I supposed to do for 5 hours? Hardly study in the library for 3 hours first semester.
    Those long gaps are a great opportunity to get work done. They are probably the only time I do any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I got to pick the time for 1 elective. But the ones that auto-assigned are in good timeslots so its not too bad:)

snooleen wrote: »
    Snap on that, muffinz. UCD Is possibly the furthest college that's still in Leinster from my house. :P Maynooth is two train stops away from a train station which takes about 7 minutes to get to from my house. The same train, or the bus across the road, would get me to the city centre (and so, DITs, Trinity etc etc) in 40-50 minutes. But I had to pick the college AAAAGES away :P haha. My earliest start is ten, I think, But I'll have to be up at 6 at the latest for a bus down the village of my town at about half 7. But I'm happy :) (I have a feeling that public transport will suck all this happiness away, but meh.)

Anyway, we can be wandering friends? :) haha, I'll look out for ya!
    Hell yeah we can!:D :pac:Maynooth is about 30 minutes away from me, and I just have to pick the two-hour-bus-drive uni :P

I picked all the classes from 10 onwards, like you my earliest is 10, but most days its 11, and I think my fridays isnt till 12 or 1... Dear god Im going to be bored as hell :p
    I found a little peice of heaven called silverdawn bus travel, travels straight from Newbridge and a few places in Kildare to ucd and only 34 a week, thank god! It leaves at ten past 7, So I'll have to be up at 6, but knowing me I'll get up at 10 to 7 and leg it down to the bus stop :pac:

I have the choice of getting the train to heuston and then getting buses, but I know feck all when it comes to Dublin, I'd get on a bus and end up in Galway knowing me!

Just looking at my calender, i had 2 classes in the one slot and was confused till i realised one is "odd weeks" and one is "even weeks".
    That means i actually have to remember what week it is - week 1, week 5 etc. Im soo going to end up going to the wrong room on the wrong week:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Just looking at my calender, i had 2 classes in the one slot and was confused till i realised one is "odd weeks" and one is "even weeks".
    That means i actually have to remember what week it is - week 1, week 5 etc. Im soo going to end up going to the wrong room on the wrong week:rolleyes:
    I'm fairly sure UCD connect tells you what classes you have that day. SIS web will also give you your schedule for the week so it shouldn't be much to worry about.

Advertisement