Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Module Registration 2010 (Sept 2nd)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

muffinz wrote: »
    Hell yeah we can!:D :pac:Maynooth is about 30 minutes away from me, and I just have to pick the two-hour-bus-drive uni :P

I picked all the classes from 10 onwards, like you my earliest is 10, but most days its 11, and I think my fridays isnt till 12 or 1... Dear god Im going to be bored as hell :p
    I found a little peice of heaven called silverdawn bus travel, travels straight from Newbridge and a few places in Kildare to ucd and only 34 a week, thank god! It leaves at ten past 7, So I'll have to be up at 6, but knowing me I'll get up at 10 to 7 and leg it down to the bus stop :pac:

I have the choice of getting the train to heuston and then getting buses, but I know feck all when it comes to Dublin, I'd get on a bus and end up in Galway knowing me!

Yeah, jaysus, the Dublin Bus website is the least helpful website ever. I tried doing 'route planner' and looking for the xpresso buses that go from leixlip to UCD and they're all really messed up. But the other day I was in town and an xpresso bus came along, which wasn;t listed on the site, which had come from UCD and went straight up to my estate :confused: I guess we'll just have to figure it out as we go along :p And also make friends with people who have cars/student accomodation! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

Ive registered and all but im not sure i like how it went.When i applied on CAO it was for arts - philosophy/irish folklore but have now been forced to take celtic civilisation and my electives archaeology in sem 1 and greek civ in sem 2.

It seems like too many subjects when i only wanted to study two.
    I have two 10 credits and two 5 credits in sem 1 and then the same in sem 2.
    I have been forced, in a sense, to take 4 celtic civilisation modules for first year and 4 philosophy modules (which i dont mind) but there is only 2 modules available for the year for irish folklore.
    Im so confused......and my post is prob confusing to follow but what is going on......im ending up having to do 3 entire subjects and then 2 electives.
    Why cant we just do what we applied to do through CAO ie two subjects.
    I know there are supposed to be 'in programme' electives but i had none.:mad:
    Good thing is i have fridays off all year but my mon-thurs are crammed, i think wednesday i have 6 classes in a row then an hour break then a lecture.

Ranting here.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Who thought up this crazy elective / module / subject streams / credits system? The nightmare of sitting for hours at computers trying to make sense of it all, when all you really want to do is study English and History at UCD.

A friend of mine has got really stressed by it all, its worse than the disappointment of not getting her first choice on the second round of offers. She put down Arts in UCD as her second choice, but did not realize that this year on the CAO form she could have chosen her Arts subjects in advance

She has been on her computer since registration started, but thinks she will not be able to do English, which she loves. There seem to be so many questions and variables. So much jargon---so a tutorial is called a semester sometimes, except when its not! Not to be confused with an option or indeed an elective, or worse still, an elective which will not allow you to progress with this subject at Stage Two (used to be called Second Year in the pre-jargon days)

Getting the money together to move to Dublin, find accommodation, figure transport, lectures and campus layout----is that not enough to be getting on with without making the business of choosing a few subjects for Arts unnecessarily complicated and jargon-ridden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Just looking at my calender, i had 2 classes in the one slot and was confused till i realised one is "odd weeks" and one is "even weeks".
    That means i actually have to remember what week it is - week 1, week 5 etc. Im soo going to end up going to the wrong room on the wrong week:rolleyes:

Will you not just remember what you did the week before? So if you had class A last week, that would mean you will be having class B that week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

waited with anticipation for half 2 on thursday for someone to drop spanish so i could take their place - my f*cking internet broke that morning so i couldnt go online! went on today and the only spanish available was spanish beginners - so if i take that, in 2nd year can i just take higher standard spanish? i got a HB2 in spanish in the l.c so doing beginners is annoying but its better than doing Welsh or some other useless subject! So im currently logged up to 55 credits, i have to pick 5 more creds....

Are electives neceassry?! coz the site says required: 10 creds worth of electives but the dean of arts said in on wednesday that we dont have to do electives?:confused: im going to do 5 creds worth of electives...

I logged myself up to spanish electives, one class isnt actually going ahead so ucd told me to pick a different elective, and then i got this:

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']SPAN10010 - Spanish Language I a

Capacity: 17 general elective places.

This module is currently oversubscribed and places will be randomly allocated.

You have provisionally registered to the following module components:
    Small Group - Offering 2 - 56220

the hell does that mean? :S
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

waited with anticipation for half 2 on thursday for someone to drop spanish so i could take their place - my f*cking internet broke that morning so i couldnt go online! went on today and the only spanish available was spanish beginners - so if i take that, in 2nd year can i just take higher standard spanish? i got a HB2 in spanish in the l.c so doing beginners is annoying but its better than doing Welsh or some other useless subject! So im currently logged up to 55 credits, i have to pick 5 more creds....

Are electives neceassry?! coz the site says required: 10 creds worth of electives but the dean of arts said in on wednesday that we dont have to do electives?:confused: im going to do 5 creds worth of electives...

I logged myself up to spanish electives, one class isnt actually going ahead so ucd told me to pick a different elective, and then i got this:

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']SPAN10010 - Spanish Language I a

Capacity: 17 general elective places.

This module is currently oversubscribed and places will be randomly allocated.

You have provisionally registered to the following module components:
    Small Group - Offering 2 - 56220

the hell does that mean? :S
    [/FONT]

That's what it means.

You'll be told tomorrow whether you got a place in it or not.

Oh, and you have to do 60 credits each year so you'll have to pick another elective (another module to fill that 5 credit gap).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I am so very confused by all of this. When are they going to tell us which electives we got?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I am so very confused by all of this. When are they going to tell us which electives we got?!

Yeah I thought it was today but I've got no emails from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

UCD wrote:
    Many of these general elective modules are over-subscribed so make sure you check your UCD Connect email daily for updates, particularly this Saturday (11 Sept) to see the results of the allocation process. A reminder also that, while this process takes place, online module registration will be closed from 5.00pm this Friday until 6.00pm on Saturday. If you are unsuccessful in getting a place, keep an eye out regularly online until 24 September as some students may well drop out of an elective once term begins. Look in online registration itself and at http://www.ucd.ie/students/moduleplaces.html

So we should find out at some point today, UCD being as vague as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

In Arts, if you want to pick 5/10 more credits in whatever Arts subjects you're doing, you can do it on the cores/options page, and not bother with electives, but you have to have 60 credits overall, so you must choose to do more Arts or something random, but you can't just... ignore those 10 credits. They have to go to something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I picked two optional modules, introduction to applied psychology and introduction to applied psychology. but they're both on my timetable in the first semester. anyone know how you can change the semester you take a module in? they're available in both semesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I picked two optional modules, introduction to applied psychology and introduction to applied psychology. but they're both on my timetable in the first semester. anyone know how you can change the semester you take a module in? they're available in both semesters.

Drop it and pick the other option or else contact the school. If you are talking about an elective, you can search by semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Right so i didn't get one of my module choices, as expected. But they said it would open at 6pm and it's not open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

I luckily got both my electives, i really feel for those of you who got one or got neither,I hope it works out for you all. I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for you......<3

Did things just magically dissapear from peoples registrations today? It now says I haven't chosen enough options and the status on the right hand side for 'core/options' is red. Even though the classes it says I haven't chosen show up on my timetable?

I got that email today about stage 1 science so is this normal yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Conor108 wrote: »
    Did things just magically dissapear from peoples registrations today? It now says I haven't chosen enough options and the status on the right hand side for 'core/options' is red. Even though the classes it says I haven't chosen show up on my timetable?

I got that email today about stage 1 science so is this normal yeah?

I didnt get the email.. but my astonomy elective disappeared .. so now it states i'm short 5 credits.. even though it was confirmed.. some core modules went missing... However, time table showing up as everything is fine...

didnt get an email at all on saturday about whether or not i got my options?:rolleyes: thanks ucd

and i have 55 creds down at 5 from electives, is that okay or do i have to do 10 from electives? goshdarn confusing:confused:

anyone?XD

didnt get an email at all on saturday about whether or not i got my options?:rolleyes: thanks ucd

and i have 55 creds down at 5 from electives, is that okay or do i have to do 10 from electives? goshdarn confusing:confused:

I have 55 credits for core/options and then 5 for electives even though I've registered for 10 credits of electives. Like I counted and it should say 50 credits for core/options and 10 for electives. Maybe its some error? I think its grand anyway and UCD registration has annoyed me to the point where I no longer care:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I didn't do any electives last year and I assumed it was OK considering they let me into Stage 2.

• Advertisement

ah brill, really cbf to go find another elective when im perfectly happy with my 55-5 modules!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/faq.html
    (General Regulation 3.9.2) Undergraduate students should be able to take all of their credits, including elective credits, within their chosen subject.
    It's grand so.

Advertisement