Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers in Clane

Options
  • 02-09-2010 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Howdy,

Just wondering what's the story with the boy racers in Clane. Moved to the area earlier in the summer, almost every night they're at the back of the Westgrove Hotel, kicking a ball against the hotel wall, revving engines, beeping horns, handbrake turns etc etc. We're living a bit away, but can still hear them if the window is open. Last night they were there for at least 6 hours, I came in at around 9 and I could hear them, woke up a few times during the night and could still hear them, they were still there the last time I woke up at about 3ish (had the window open last night as it was warm).

It seems strange that they can do this right outside the hotel, and no one seems to stop them. I would have thought the owners/guests at a 4 star hotel wouldn't be too impressed with this carry on right outside the bedroom windows, and it must be a lot louder for them.

Anyone living nearby know if this is only a summer phenomenon, or is it all year round?

Also, on a more general note, to satisfy my curiosity more than anything, can anyone tell me what is it that makes this lifestyle so attractive...I don't get it, but each to their own.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you call the guards to get them to move them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drjdz

djimi wrote: »
    Did you call the guards to get them to move them on?

No, like I said, I'm far enough away that I can't hear them with the windows closed. More curious than anything else as to how the hotel/guests seems
    to tolerate them...I know if I was paying to stay in a hotel I wouldn't be too impressed if I couldn't sleep with lads kicking a ball off the wall/revving engines etc. but I couldn't find any bad reports from a Google search. Certainly if I was living closer and it was keeping me awake on a regular basis I'd have called the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Its been going on for years,
    Its only in recent times they have moved down to the westgrove,
    Prior to that they sat outside the Maxol and Gym on the Dublin Rd,

The local Gardai are somewhat friendly with some of them and do
    nothing more than move them on whereas Ive seen the Naas Traffic corps
    come down heavy handed and issue some of them with summons for various
    reasons.

I suppose theres little else to entertain these yobs locally in Clane:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Honestly I can't see boy racers out at 3 am in the morning kicking a ball off the side of a hotel. I have seen kids there in the evenings down the back of the carpark kicking a ball and if you should know those are offices and not part of the actual hotel.
    @ Curlz I think it is a bit harsh to be calling them yobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

ronaneire wrote: »
    Honestly I can't see boy racers out at 3 am in the morning kicking a ball off the side of a hotel. I have seen kids there in the evenings down the back of the carpark kicking a ball and if you should know those are offices and not part of the actual hotel.
    @ Curlz I think it is a bit harsh to be calling them yobs

I would be a lot more harse if it was outside my house. Im sure you would be also. Handbrake turns is Dangerous driving and if caught on camera, you would have their licences of them.

OP dont hesitate . If its disrupting your life on unsociable hours. Go after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

True if they are caught on camera they can be prosecuted.

Are they gaining entry through the hotel?i'm sure they have plenty of outside CCTV on.
    Drives me mad when the go on like that and so late too,it's the knowing they are being heard and an annoyance that gives them the buzz :mad:.

Surprised the Westgrove hasn't done something about it,they must have customers going crazy at night?

It happens everywhere unfortunately,just happy i'm not stuck with it as much anymore these days.

Keep on at the Garda too with the complaints,they have to address the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

OP have you seen these so called boy racers with your own eyes?
    Or you have heard them?
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tbh, I've never noticed any around the Westgrove. Can't imagine management would be too happy with that going on. Hanging about Vivo and the gym, yeah, all the time but never at the Westgrove. Unless you meant more the Supervalu kinda car park? 'Cause I suppose once Supervalu is closed, there'd be no one to ask them to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, they hang around the super valu car park, I've seen them. They mainly are there because nobody bothers them, and there's also two roundabouts there beside each other which is good for driving around in first gear in your '97 glanza.

I can hear them pretty regularly in the evenings, I live over in alexandra walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drjdz

ronaneire wrote: »
    OP have you seen these so called boy racers with your own eyes?
    Or you have heard them?
    Which is it?

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, have been away.

Both, can hear them from my house, and took a stroll over one evening to see what they were up to. Couple of cars around, at one stage they were racing up towards a wall, doing handbrake turns at the last minute. Also had a ball which they were kicking against the side of the building. I initially thought this was part of the hotel, but it's actually behind the hotel, although it looks like it's part of the same building as the hotel...as another poster said it's actually at the SuperValu side of the car park.

Again, just more curious than anything...not sure if boy racers is the right term to describe them...maybe "boy racers and ball kickers". I won't be complaining since it doesn't really bother me, but there are houses right behind the car park, who it must be bothering. At one stage the lads were beeping the horns and laughing loudly (kind of forced laughter) so maybe someone else has complained and they're getting their revenge in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

drjdz wrote: »
    Anyone living nearby know if this is only a summer phenomenon, or is it all year round?

Not sure about that spot in particular, but there are plenty of them around, year round.
    drjdz wrote: »
    Also, on a more general note, to satisfy my curiosity more than anything, can anyone tell me what is it that makes this lifestyle so attractive...I don't get it, but each to their own..

I'd have to give myself quite a lobotomy before I could see any attraction in it.

Advertisement