Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Josh Koscheck vs George St Pierre II

• 02-09-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does Josh Koscheck have the best chance to beat GSP out of all the people GSP has fought?

What Josh Koscheck offers:

Improved striking skills - showed this in the Anthony Johnson fight
    Amazing Cardio - has shown this in almost every fight
    Wrestling ability - obvious but i think he will go back to his routes for this fight
    Heart - the guy never quits, he took a beating the Alves fight and kept attacking

GSP will still probably win but do you agree that this is REALLY his best test yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Is it just me or does Josh Koscheck have the best chance to beat GSP out of all the people GSP has fought?

What Josh Koscheck offers:

Improved striking skills - showed this in the Anthony Johnson fight
    Amazing Cardio - has shown this in almost every fight
    Wrestling ability - obvious but i think he will go back to his routes for this fight
    Heart - the guy never quits, he took a beating the Alves fight and kept attacking

GSP will still probably win but do you agree that this is REALLY his best test yet?

I don't think so. I think on paper both Thaigo Alves and BJ Penn were more dangerous fights at the time for GSP. In my opinion, Jon Fitch poses the biggest threat to him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

seadnamac wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think on paper both Thaigo Alves and BJ Penn were more dangerous fights at the time for GSP. In my opinion, Jon Fitch poses the biggest threat to him right now.

I have to agree, I really though Alves was going to cause GSP some right issues with his size and strength... and he didn't... at all. Fitch seems to be going through everyone now and gets better each fight..

Koscheck will lose again... but it will make entertaining TV, he's be a proper wind up merchant and I can actually see him annoying the **** out of GSP... Which means I'm really looking forward to the new TUF series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gsp is unbeatable at 170, he has cleaned out the division already, fitch would be the best fighter besides.

who else is there for a challenge? really?

i'd like to see him at 185 in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Koscheck is the last fighter to win a round against GSP. He got outwrestled in that fight and admitted that he didn't practice any wrestling in the lead up to it because he didn't think there was any chance that GSP would beat him in that area. He knows now what it is he needs to focus on and I don't think the outcome is certain at all

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

I think Koscheck poses a good challenge for GSP mainly due to his wrestling skills and knockout power. At least he's not another out and out striker for him to take down and hump to death. Who knows, we might even see more stand up in this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

would now not be the right time for GSP to move up to 185 or after the kosh fight, the aura of invincibility around silva has been heavily dented by sonnen and with GSP's wresting he surely must heavily fancy himself should a fight take place and give him the chance to cement himself as num 1 p4p?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

I would love to see GSP move up to 185. So many good match ups with Silva and also see how he could handle Sonnen.

I read something today about Dana saying that there are a few fights left in their divisions for GSP and Silva before they'll consider a fight between the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Im not one for predicting fights but im defo having a large bet on koscheck (presuming he will be at the longer odds)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cant see Kos beating GSP in this fight, I just dont see where he takes the fight in order to be better than GSP. He has heart though, so he could pull an upset but I think if GSP has taken this seriously, he should win.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Fozzy wrote: »
    I read something today about Dana saying that there are a few fights left in their divisions for GSP and Silva before they'll consider a fight between the two

its a money in the bank fight for him , i dont see it happening alas til it has too with no feasible opponent left which GSP is fast running out of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If Kos can use his defensive wrestling effectively he has a chance since he has been known for KO'ing people before. As much as GSP does my head in I see him taking a decision. He wont be able to finish Kos but he will be able to do enough to win the rounds he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Going out on a limb and saying Koscheck is winning this , remember you heard it here 1st , and can donate 10% of your purse from paddy power to me when it pays off at [url][/url]www.thatdudeonboardsthatwasright.com[/url] :D

What I don't like is the long build up to the fight with a season of TUF to get through, I think GSP is 100x more disciplined and will be in better shape on the night in likely hood ,not dissing Kos but this is GSP, but if Kos keeps his eye on the prize and has a plan and sticks to it he could do it, I really think he can.

Fair play to you for calling out the underdog. He wont be a big one though. I'd say Kos will about about 7/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

calex71 wrote: »
    Going out on a limb and saying Koscheck is winning this , remember you heard it here 1st , and can donate 10% of your purse from paddy power to me when it pays off at www.thatdudeonboardsthatwasright.com :D

Im always looking to hand my money away for free. So you can imagine the disgust i felt when I realised the above site was a fake. I will therefore be ignoring your advice and be putting my money on GSP. All because of you you misleading little trouble maker!:mad:............;)

unknown13 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for calling out the underdog. He wont be a big one though. I'd say Kos will about about 7/2.

The odds on MMA in general are rubbish for the most part, that said Id rather me 5er go on Kos than the euromillions :D

Im always looking to hand my money away for free. So you can imagine the disgust i felt when I realised the above site was a fake. I will therefore be ignoring your advice and be putting my money on GSP. All because of you you misleading little trouble maker!:mad:............;)

I really should have add some fast talking small print disclaimer like - Warning !!! may cause hairloss, drymouth, insomnia .... poverty like those bad pharmaceutical ads in the US

Edit: just fixed that link, spoiled my own fun there :(

The odds on MMA in general are rubbish for the most part, that said Id rather me 5er go on Kos than the euromillions :D

MMA odds are absolutely rubbish. There is rarely good odds on underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Edgar was 4/1 to beat Penn on Paddy Power last week which were good odds.
    Only way to increase the odds is to do an accumulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

i guess bad odds are indicative of the unpredictability of mma. one mistake and your gone y'know?
    also possibly bookies not being terribly knowledgeable in the relatively new field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Im starting to like koschek a lot more lately his stand up is really after coming on and his wrestling had always been solid it will be interesting to see how gsp will approach this fight it was obvious how he was going to approach Hardy but koschek offers and more well rounded game

Going out on a limb and saying Koscheck is winning this , remember you heard it here 1st2nd , and can donate 10% of your purse from paddy power to me when it pays off at [url][/url]www.thatdudeonboardsthatwasright.com[/url] :D

What I don't like is the long build up to the fight with a season of TUF to get through, I think GSP is 100x more disciplined and will be in better shape on the night in likely hood ,not dissing Kos but this is GSP, but if Kos keeps his eye on the prize and has a plan and sticks to it he could do it, I really think he can.
    1. FYP
    2. Like he was for matt serra?
    i guess bad odds are indicative of the unpredictability of mma. one mistake and your gone y'know?
    also possibly bookies not being terribly knowledgeable in the relatively new field.
    if thats the way everyone feels why not lay longer odds on betfair then, you'll make alot if what ye say is true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Kos is just an inferior version of GSP. All he has got is a punchers chance in this fight. GSP beats him in all aspects of the fight. I think Fitch would be GSP's biggest test at 170. That being said none of these fighters interest me. They are all carbon copies of eachother with lay and pray tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Fozzy wrote: »
    Koscheck is the last fighter to win a round against GSP. He got outwrestled in that fight and admitted that he didn't practice any wrestling in the lead up to it because he didn't think there was any chance that GSP would beat him in that area. He knows now what it is he needs to focus on and I don't think the outcome is certain at all

I agree 100% with this.

I don't understand why everyone here is saying that Jon Fitch would be GSP's biggest test, have you not seen what GSP did to him at UFC 87?? :confused:
    Styles make fights and Jon Fitch's lay and pray tactics don't work on GSP because as well as GSP having a superior wrestling ability and superior athletic ability to Fitch, GSP also has an underrated striking game, something we havent seen much of since he lost to Serra. Koscheck has the skill set to beat George, he has the wrestling to match GSP and knock out power.
    Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy fight was obvious, two strikers with little wrestling, got taken down repeatedly for 5 rounds each.

Remember styles make fights, one thing Koscheck lacks is a good game plan.

Paddy Power have GSP 1-5 and Koscheck 3-1 at the moment. In reality I think the odds are a lot closer than that

I agree 100% with this.

I don't understand why everyone here is saying that Jon Fitch would be GSP's biggest test, have you not seen what GSP did to him at UFC 87?? :confused:
    Styles make fights and Jon Fitch's lay and pray tactics don't work on GSP because as well as GSP having a superior wrestling ability and superior athletic ability to Fitch, GSP also has an underrated striking game, something we havent seen much of since he lost to Serra. Koscheck has the skill set to beat George, he has the wrestling to match GSP and knock out power.
    Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy fight was obvious, two strikers with little wrestling, got taken down repeatedly for 5 rounds each.

Remember styles make fights, one thing Koscheck lacks is a good game plan.

I don't see it myself. I think you're wrong in saying that Koscheck has the wrestling to match GSP, just look at how Koscheck struggled trying to take down Thiago Alves compared to how easily GSP managed it. I don't think anybody has the wrestling ability to match GSP but if you had to pick one who would be closest it would be Fitch. Also I think Fitch has only gotten better since their first fight. You can't deny a man who has pretty much cleaned out the division except for the champ.

I don't see it myself. I think you're wrong in saying that Koscheck has the wrestling to match GSP, just look at how Koscheck struggled trying to take down Thiago Alves compared to how easily GSP managed it. I don't think anybody has the wrestling ability to match GSP but if you had to pick one who would be closest it would be Fitch. Also I think Fitch has only gotten better since their first fight. You can't deny a man who has pretty much cleaned out the division except for the champ.
    like koscheck?

adamski8 wrote: »
    like koscheck?

Except for losses to Thiago Alves and Paolo Thiago? Fitch has lost just once in his last 22 fights and that was against you know who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Kos is no way a 3/1 shot for this fight.

• Advertisement

Except for losses to Thiago Alves and Paolo Thiago? Fitch has lost just once in his last 22 fights and that was against you know who.
    True but most likely he'd take them easy if they fought again
    SDTimeout wrote: »
    Kos is no way a 3/1 shot for this fight.
    i agree, pretty early for them to have odds for that, im gonna put €100 on that and surely when it comes on betfair he'll be at 2/1 anyway right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think the 3/1 on Koscheck is about right if anything I would have Kos bigger.

I give Koscheck a chance of winning but nothing more then a chance. He may catch GSP early, which is his best hope. I don't think he can out wrestle or submit GSP so TKO/KO is his best hope and the earlier the better. Koscheck is hard to stop so I think GSP will get the decision, he doesn't like to take chances so he'll take Koscheck down and work without taking any chances (ie. going for subs). Also the way Koscheck throws (always looking for right haymaker) leaves him open to take downs.

I hope Koscheck wins though but I'm not optimistic about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Got to go for a GSP win for this one.
    GSP is better in every department imo & is so disciplined at sticking to the game plan that I don't think he'll allow Kos any openings to take advantage of.
    The only way I see Kos winning this one is by DQ via phantom strikes :pac:

Advertisement