Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carroll gets permission to finish Anglo HQ

Options
  • 02-09-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

An Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for developer Liam Carroll's North Quay Investments Limited to complete the building of the proposed Anglo Irish Bank headquarters in the North Lotts area of Dublin's docklands.
    Originally Anglo provided the funding for the development to Carroll's company NQIL and was to rent part of the development as its intended new headquarters.
    In 2007 the Dublin Docklands Development Authority fast-tracked planning permission to Mr Carroll on the condition that he give some land on the former Brooks Thomas site on North Wall Quay back to the Authority so it could build a park.

As part of the deal, the Authority said it would later push for changes to the planning scheme for the area, so further development couold take place.
    Advertisement

The permission was for an eight-story office development and was outside the DDDA's own planning guidelines for density in the North Lotts area.
    The Authority's confidential agreement with Mr Carroll later caused the High Court to quash planning permission for the development, when rival developer Sean Dunne took a case that led to a ruling that the secret agreement between the planning authority and Mr Carroll gave rise to a 'reasonable apprehension of bias'.
    The fast-track permission was invalidated by the High Court and construction stopped on the site.
    A new application was made to Dublin City Council to retain the building in its current, unfinished state, and permission for all other works, including facades to be finished.
    Dublin City Council gave notification of a decision to grant permission on January 2 2009. This was appealed by Sean Dunne's North Wall Quay Property Development later that month.
    The appeals and court cases mean the building has been standing unfinished on Dublin's quays for several years.
    But permission has now been upheld to retain and to finish the building.
    As planning permission has been upheld, the only option open to Sean Dunne is to call for a judicial review of the decision.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0902/carroll.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The bottom is here:

Champagne.jpg

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Great!!
    Means my working day will be broken up with fraggle rock type construction going on next door!! Was quite amusing when the convention centre was being built so I've a few more years of entertainment ahead of me now!!

But who is paying for the building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

At least something is been done with that building, its an eyesore. Either knock it down or finish it is a plus in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Builder in liquidation gets planning permission to complete a building that the anchor tenant doesn't want any more - it's like a tree falling in a forest when there's no-one around to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

markpb wrote: »
    Builder in liquidation gets planning permission to complete a building that the anchor tenant doesn't want any more - it's like a tree falling in a forest when there's no-one around to hear it.

No it is much worse than that.
    A lumberjack is being paid to go into the forest and cut the tree down.
    No one wants the tree and when it is felled it will just lie there unwanted.

Now what I want to know is where is the money coming from to complete this project ?

I think we all know where the money is really coming from, our pockets. :rolleyes:
    I just want to know which of the feckless eejits are the ones dishing it out to carroll.

Why is the original developer still involved seeing as he is theoretically bankrupt ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't think anyone is involved - ABP completed their decision making process even though Zoe have collapsed. I guess it's up to whoever buys the land from the liquidator to decide what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

At present it is worthless to anyone. Half complete with no planning permission actually gave it a negative value.

Now, if built it will at least be worth something. Putting €1m in to it could make it worth €3m/€4m. Now surely, since Carroll owes all this money to NAMA it is better getting €4m back in to the governments pocket rather than the government being forced to knock it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jmayo wrote: »
    Why is the original developer still involved seeing as he is theoretically bankrupt ?
    Only specific companies within the Carroll group have problems, some others might be quite valuble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Victor wrote: »
    Only specific companies within the Carroll group have problems, some others might be quite valuble.

Ah the joy of the myriad of companeis created by mr carroll.
    Isn't it great that the likes of the Zoe group and all it's uselsss investments/debts will probably be dumped on us the taxpayers and because of the joys of limited companies and possibly no personal guarantees, Mr carroll can ride off into the sunset on the back of his profitable companies.

Something doesn't feel quiet just about that inequitable scenario. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The banks own the building now. It will be finished and there will be demand for it. I'd put a tenner on a certain multinational buying it TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jdivision wrote: »
    The banks own the building now. It will be finished and there will be demand for it. I'd put a tenner on a certain multinational buying it TBH.
    A certain multinational involved in the advertising business would be my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lets face it, it is a prime location. I'm just glad it will be built and to erase the monstrosity it is now.

Advertisement