Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is 'Subjects/Streams'? Why can't I see any in-programme electives?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I was planning on taking an elective in Irish with my course (English with Drama DN064) and possibly one in German, if I had enough credits left. I definitely wanted in-programme electives as I only have core modules for Drama in Semester 1 and they only take up 10 credits. When registering, it brought me to subjects/streams first where it said to select subjects. I picked Irish, although I was confused, I picked it cause I knew I wanted to do Irish anyway. I was brought to the next page to choose times/modules etc for English, Irish and Drama modules. But subjects/streams said it was only half completed. So I went back and chose German aswell. Then it was completed, according to the icon. So I chose labs/tutorials/times etc., all fine, blah blah and then I come to electives. By the time I had chosen these 2 subjects/streams and registered for the required 10 credits in each, I had 5 credits left. But labs/tutorials registration said incomplete. So I went back and decided to try picking another module for Irish. I chose that and then it said labs/tutorials was complete. So now I have 0 credits left, but decide to look at English and Drama in-programme electives anyway and see if I can make space by removing a subject/stream in case I really want to do these electives. Nothing comes up. Stuff comes up for Irish, German and other things though. I used 'keyword search' then, I typed in 'Romanticism' in 'all' instead of in 'in-programme electives' and it came up. But I didn't have 5 credits free to choose it. Maybe it's something got to do with English and Drama being kind of the one subject in my course as it's nto the same as DN012. I know I can discuss this during orientation week and it's probably a very annoying post but any help would be appreciated to stop me being so confused :P I don't mind if no one replies as I know this can be sorted next week, I'm just going a little bit crazy here :P Thanks, snooleen.

Comments

I'm not sure why it wouldn't allow you to get rid of some of your modules to pick other ones. Two of your modules count as electives. You should be able to swap those out.

It could be that if you pick the Irish and German streams, there are certain compulsory modules within those streams.

As for
    snooleen wrote: »
    But labs/tutorials registration said incomplete.
    you shouldn't have had to register for another module to fix this. You probably just needed to pick what times you wanted your tutorials on. If you unregister for the extra Irish module, you should have one elective to choose, at least.

Your course info page here: http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/undergraduatestudies/drama/stageone/ shows you information on electives you could take in English and Drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Thanks so much! :) I went in and dropped my unnecessary irish option and then searched for electives in drama studies. I added Intro to Conventions of Theatre for Semester 2 so I'm delighted now that I'll be studying it at least a bit for the whole year :) Once I registered my elective choice the 'incomplete' icon for subjects/streams changed back to complete. So that must be just to let you know that you haven't enough credits in some strange way :p I was lucky that I got an elective in! Does anyone think I should do a German elective instead of having it in subjects/streams? If it's in subjects/streams do I have to do it forever? Or can it be dropped? Thanks again! :D WOOOO

snooleen wrote: »
    Thanks so much! :) I went in and dropped my unnecessary irish option and then searched for electives in drama studies. I added Intro to Conventions of Theatre for Semester 2 so I'm delighted now that I'll be studying it at least a bit for the whole year :) Once I registered my elective choice the 'incomplete' icon for subjects/streams changed back to complete. So that must be just to let you know that you haven't enough credits in some strange way :p I was lucky that I got an elective in! Does anyone think I should do a German elective instead of having it in subjects/streams? If it's in subjects/streams do I have to do it forever? Or can it be dropped? Thanks again! :D WOOOO

There's a great guide here to your Arts degree:
    http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/babooklet2010.pdf

It actually explained a lot to me because as a science student I didn't 'get' arts. :P
    Basically, in second year, you can choose to do:
    • One Subject (Single Honour)
    • Two Subjects, with the same amount of classes in each (Joint Honours)
    • Two Subjects, with more classes in one subject than the other (Major/Minor)

And this year, you can pick two or more subjects. If you want to fill up on more English or Drama modules now that you've picked all your credits, you'll have to drop German or Irish. (:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Ok thanks :) So I'm gonna have to drop one of them anyway? As in, when I get to stage 2?

Advertisement