Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Surfing

Options
  • 02-09-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I have only really started surfing, but I would like to keep going. Although I hate cold water. and even in august in my 3mm skins wetsuit I can become cold. If it was too cold in the winter I would just not surf. If I was able to surf up to December and maybe if it was to cold from jan-april then I would be ok with that.

How much colder with all the winter gear will I be? I would rather buy decent gear than buying a cheaper product and then going out and being too cold to surf in. I surf in Donegal. Just looking for some ideas on what wetsuit, boots, gloves, headgear etc. to buy.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Nearly everyone feels the cold coming into the winter and through December/January, the love of the sport gets people through but I hear your concerns.

The best thing to do is invest in good gear. Before winter 2008 I upgraded booties and bought a very good hood, info on my site: http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2010/03/surf-boots.html

People also use gloves, I havnt yet but if you get a pair get a good one as the cheap ones let in too much water and do more harm than good.

Spend a little bit more on these and you will notice the difference.

You'd be surprised how these help you in the colder months.

You will defo need to upgrade the thickness of your wetsuit.

Even little things can get you through the cold days, like having a hot flask of tea ready and waiting in the car the minute you get out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoin_murphy

It's cold, but the best (biggest & most consistent) waves in Ireland are in winter. The weather will be getting colder as the year goes on but the water temperature only starts really dropping in November so December, January, February and March are when you definitely need the thicker wetsuit.

I've got a winter wetsuit (5mm I think) and last winter I just threw a rash guard on underneath, a pair of booties (these are essential as your feet are constantly in the water), gloves and a hood.

The wetsuit was from Lidl (€75 I think). The hood was €20, the gloves €15 and the booties €50; all from the (fantastic) surf shop in Bandon (Ningaloo). I think the rash guard was around €35 or so. It's a lot of gear and the biggest difference is that you've got to allow extra time to get ready.

I'm living next to the beach so I'm spoiled and I can just jump in the car with the wetsuit on and drive home to a hot shower. But if you can't do that be aware that you'll lose a lot of body heat just changing out of your suit (especially if it's raining). Also a good idea is have a thermos flask with a warm drink (black tea is a personal favourite) just to get your body some heat after being in the water.

Advertisement