Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed Round 2!

• 02-09-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi, I got an offer for engineering in TCD today. I got 525 points in my leaving cert which were 20 short of actuarial and financial studies in UCD. However since then i learned there is a similar course in DCU however only requires 500 points.

So should i repeat and get 20 more points or do engineering and transfer(how?) to DCU next year if engineering does not work out.

p.s the reason i received a 2nd round offer is i did A levels as part of language requirements and the results were out late. All advice will be appreciated greatly!

Note to Mods: delete if double posted by mistake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Depends on you really and how much you want your first choice. I know thats not much advice and u have only a week or even less to make up your mind but thats what it boils down to. Look into the engineering course. Look at the modules you would be taking, sample exam papers, career prospects, salaries... Engineering has been hard hit by the recession but so too has the financial sector. Try look at the other course too... similarly, exam papers, modules, careers.... and then have a good think over the weekend to try and see which you would prefer.

Either way with 525, you achieved a fantastic score so your looking at a bright future whatever you decide.
    You could repeat and get those extra 20 or 30 points next year. Or as you said, you could go ahead with engineering, give it a shot, and say after a year, you dont feel its for you, you could take up the other course in DCU (but pay the fees for year 1 next time round).

Its really hard to advise someone in your situation... because its really down to what you feel is right for you. Even your parents cant tell you this.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But I will say, dont do a course just for the sake of going to college. It would be a complete disaster and ull always be thinking 'why didnt i repeat' later on in life if your'e not happy with the course you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

estadio wrote: »
    Hi, I got an offer for engineering in TCD today. I got 525 points in my leaving cert which were 20 short of actuarial and financial studies in UCD. However since then i learned there is a similar course in DCU however only requires 500 points.

So should i repeat and get 20 more points or do engineering and transfer(how?) to DCU next year if engineering does not work out.

p.s the reason i received a 2nd round offer is i did A levels as part of language requirements and the results were out late. All advice will be appreciated greatly!

Note to Mods: delete if double posted by mistake

As far as I know, there is a postgraduate diploma in actuarial science in UCD. I'm not sure on the specifics but I think they allow engineering graduates to go in but you need to have a 2.1 degree or something. It's for 1 year full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Thanx felic. Its just that i don't want to spend the rest of my life regretting either decision

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

thanks bleh if that is the case it makes my decision much easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement