Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a UK bank account

Options
  • 02-09-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

I have a UK bank account from when i lived there a few years back . there is nothing in it. but just wondering is it worth having some money in it? maybe for when the pound gets stronger again. and also is it a hassle to transfer money back and forth. its natwest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Worth" is a subjective thing - not sure anyone can help you decide that.

Transferring can be a bit or a pain. Expect a hefty charge transferring from the UK to Ireland due to different currencies. You would probably have to do them via telephone banking as far as I recall NatWest don't do international transfers online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'd say it'd only be 'worth' it on the currency fluctuation side of things if you had a fair chunk of change in it. Keep in mind if it's a regular current account you'll get next to no interest on it (mine with the Co-op is the princely percentage of 0.12%...barely over a tenth of one percent) so that should be factored into your calculations when considering if it's 'worth' having money sitting over there.

It's not a hassle transferring back and forth, just expensive as BuffyBot said!

Unless you travel there a lot the whole thing sounds like a lot of hassle for not much gain really...

Advertisement