Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I got this phone for Christmas, on 3 pre-pay, and I must say so far I am pretty happy with it! Admittedly, I had trouble receiving texts the first two days, but that seems to have stopped now, and Im assuming was a problem with the 3 network as opposed to the phone itself.

@adrieanne__x : Bear in mind the so called "unlimited" 5 euro internet add-on has a fair use limit of 500mb, which in my opinion is certainly far from being unlimited. (That terminology always annoyed me)

@kline64: I've found to turn off the internet you can go to Settings:Wireless & Networks:Mobile Networks:Access Point Names:*Phone Service Provider Name*:Then scroll down to APN type and set it to mms only, that way your phone won't connect to the internet at all, but you'll have to change that back when you want to surf.

@evolutionqy7: If you download Advance Task Killer, and use it to close running apps, you may save a bit on your battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

delta36 wrote: »

@adrieanne__x : Bear in mind the so called "unlimited" 5 euro internet add-on has a fair use limit of 500mb, which in my opinion is certainly far from being unlimited. (That terminology always annoyed me)

When I bought the add on the last time it had the 500MB add on but then when I went into my account it had a different data package beneath that that lasted the 30 days and had 1000+mb of data? I dunno... I don't use it that much anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

If anyone has this phone on meteor and is sending/receiving mms would you PM me the settings? Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PinkLadyApples

Hey everyone,
    I have the samsung europa since about November. It's a great phone but unfortunately I've been late for work about 4 times as the battery dies over night without any warning and hence the alarm doesn't go off. I've killed all apps and nothing else is running in background but it still happens, even if it looks like the battery is almost full. on these occasions it doesn't even beeb to warn of low battery, it just shuts off, almost like it's frozen.

Just wondering is this happening to anyone else or should I bring it back to store??

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

LOL Charge it overnight?

Hey everyone,
    I have the samsung europa since about November. It's a great phone but unfortunately I've been late for work about 4 times as the battery dies over night without any warning and hence the alarm doesn't go off. I've killed all apps and nothing else is running in background but it still happens, even if it looks like the battery is almost full. on these occasions it doesn't even beeb to warn of low battery, it just shuts off, almost like it's frozen.

Just wondering is this happening to anyone else or should I bring it back to store??

Cheers

Well charging it overnight is always an option, but it is kinda weird that you're not even getting a low battery alert from your phone. How long since you've had your phone has this been happening? Do you keep Wifi or Bluetooth on constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andalon

I got a samsung galaxy europa, quite happy with it so far, but GPS seems very slow, currently it is not finding my position at all - is there a fix for this?

I remember someone asking this question before on boards.ie, but could not find it - maybe it was on general android rahter than this specific thread.

Thanks for useful hints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andalon

andalon wrote: »
    I got a samsung galaxy europa, quite happy with it so far, but GPS seems very slow, currently it is not finding my position at all - is there a fix for this?

I remember someone asking this question before on boards.ie, but could not find it - maybe it was on general android rahter than this specific thread.

Thanks for useful hints :)

Found a solution: GPS booster lite - worked for me. I just wonder, if GPS can be improved by an app, why is this not included as part of the phone/GPS system itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I have Samsung Galaxy Europa Model GT-I5500 since christmas, it is running on 2.1 update-1 at the moment, is there a release on this officialy for 2.2 yet? Also What is Kies, the software for syncing (like Itunes for apple?)?

New to the whole Android thing, seems good so far but would like to know how to upgrade. Would prefer not to have to Root the phone though.

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

When will Android 2.2 or even 2.3 be on it. How do I put music on it? I got a USB but I got no disc :| Overall it's very good. Mostly use Twitter and Facebook on it.

Troxck wrote: »
    When will Android 2.2 or even 2.3 be on it. How do I put music on it? I got a USB but I got no disc :| Overall it's very good. Mostly use Twitter and Facebook on it.

As long as you have a Micro SD card in the phone, just plug it in and you can essentially use it as a removable disk. No special software required. And the software Kies does not seem to support this phone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Getting one of these tomorrow any killer apps to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Troxck wrote: »

for people who have problems with too much data use, there are apps which allow you to toggle it on or off. It is a smart phone though, part of its charm is this

if it never gets 2.2. I would still be happy. What exactly are you looking for from 2.2? Fantastic phone though I dont use the gps and battery life is a bit short, for the price like. You couldnt get something like this with these features for less than 100 euro a few months ago. I remember debating a HTC tatoo back in the day and it way twice the price and still a compromised handset so it is very good value, but it is a smart phone and just be aware of this when youre buying it. Its not an iterative advance. If you dont need/enjoy all the features of a smartphone dont get one. The disadvantages will drive you mad, now that they have entered this kind of price range it explains why there are so many people complaining in this thread.

Just be aware before you are buying, I wouldnt get one and just turn the 3g off for example if you do that there are no good sides of a phone like this over any of the older style phones

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

My gmail app won't sync.
    Tried everything, no new messages have appeared since Jan 2nd.

I can check them on my regular comp and if I log into gmail via the browser on android but the gmail app itself is useless now.

I googled and it seems a lot of people have this problem and only solution is a factory hard reset which deletes everything.

As I don't want to lose my angry birds progession this isn't an option.

Oh well.

jayteecork wrote: »
    My gmail app won't sync.
    Tried everything, no new messages have appeared since Jan 2nd.

I can check them on my regular comp and if I log into gmail via the browser on android but the gmail app itself is useless now.

I googled and it seems a lot of people have this problem and only solution is a factory hard reset which deletes everything.

As I don't want to lose my angry birds progession this isn't an option.

Oh well.

Probably obvious suggestions here, but have you tried uninstalling the gmail app? Or have you tried deleting the gmail account from your phone and then setting it up again? Worth a shot before doing a full reset if u haven't already tried it.

• Advertisement

delta36 wrote: »
    Probably obvious suggestions here, but have you tried uninstalling the gmail app? Or have you tried deleting the gmail account from your phone and then setting it up again? Worth a shot before doing a full reset if u haven't already tried it.

Searched for the gmail "app" but it doesn't come up on the lists of apps?

It's seemingly built into the android.
    I can't even delete my account or log off. I tried adding another gmail account and that didn't sync either.

I don't mind that much if I need to check gmail on my phone I'll use the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

How can you change your ringtone/message alert to one on your sd card??
    Its driving me nuts!!!

youngblood wrote: »
    How can you change your ringtone/message alert to one on your sd card??
    Its driving me nuts!!!

Open the song in your music player and then press the option key, you'll see the option to set as ring tone there. Took me a while to find that out.

Cheers- but when I long press it the options I get are Share/Delete/move/copy/rename/details

and thats it!!

Do I need to activate some setting somewhere?

Cheers- but when I long press it the options I get are Share/Delete/move/copy/rename/details

and thats it!!

Do I need to activate some setting somewhere?

Really? I should have said use the in built music player that came with the phone, then with the song displayed, i.e. album art, artist, album name, song title, press the option key once, and you should get the options: Library, Party Shuffle, Add to Playlist, Settings, Use as Ringtone and Delete.

Edit: Open the music player first, then select the song from within the music player.

• Advertisement

your a genius!!

Thanks again!!!

Just got one myself for testing purposes. Are the search, menu, back, home keys supposed to light up? Mine don't :)

Surprised at how nice the phone is. It won't beat my other droid phones but it is a welcome addition to the family of four!

edit: google told me that the buttons are not backlit, can't really complain at the price I got it for.

guys this phone is now telling me that my "text message memory is full" even though I was deleted every one off the thing.

I can't recieve any messages.

This phone has caused me nothing but grief to be honest.

I've tried to download an app to move apps to sd card

I search on market-no results

I find ones on line with a Quick Response Code-I scan it, it finds it, then says it does not exist.

Is there a reason why my phone wont/cant access this app??

Any one else with a Europa find an app that can be downloaded to move Apps to SD Card

I find ones on line with a Quick Response Code-I scan it, it finds it, then says it does not exist.

Any one else with a Europa find an app that can be downloaded to move Apps to SD Card

The Samsung Europa comes with the 2.1 operating system. This isn't capable of running applications from the SD card. You're going to have to wait for the 2.2 update to become available for the phone.

Cheers Delta36--Any idea when 2.2 is comin?

Cheers Delta36--Any idea when 2.2 is comin?

2.2 has already been released, but not by Three for the Samsung Europa, I think you have to wait for them to release it. I've heard there are ways you can install it on the phone yourself, but you're going to have to google that information, I don't know anything more about it.

Awesome, got the snes emulator running on the Europa.

Looks great too, got Super Mario All Stars and Street Fighter so far.

Really like if someone found something like that.

Not being able to install apps on the sd card is a bit of a joke really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

2.2 has been available for Galaxy 5/Europa for quite a while

Google = your friend

why are people so lazy when its so easy?

seriously why are ye giving out about Android 2.1 when official 2.2 is out

• Advertisement

Would that be a hack of some sort??

2.2 has been available for Galaxy 5/Europa for quite a while

Google = your friend

why are people so lazy when its so easy?

seriously why are ye giving out about Android 2.1 when official 2.2 is out

Man quit that "google is your friend" horsehíte and post a link ffs.

So how does upgrading to 2.2 actually work offically?

I'm on meteor. So the network decides to upgrade then what? They send you a text or a link or does it happen automatically?

Man quit that "google is your friend" horsehíte and post a link ffs.

So how does upgrading to 2.2 actually work offically?

I'm on meteor. So the network decides to upgrade then what? They send you a text or a link or does it happen automatically?

Sorry lads, was probably bit harsh, I'm forgetting most of ye have upgraded from feature phones

an update should be OTA but Meteor will never release it probably for a phone like the Europa

www.google.com/m/url?channel=new&client=ms-opera-mobile-android&ei=17BATeCvOci5jAeG3O-PAw&q=http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung/t319497-flash-guide-froyo-galaxy-5-a.html&ved=0CCEQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNHnoz-rhFgl5Y0QY5mYFQhVEs4z0A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Awesome, got the snes emulator running on the Europa.

Looks great too, got Super Mario All Stars and Street Fighter so far.

Unfortunately the Europa ain't multitouch so you can't press two buttons at the same time... Was gutted when I found this out. I hear tell though that you could possibly use a controller or other HID device over bluetooth/usb?

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Europa ain't multitouch so you can't press two buttons at the same time... Was gutted when I found this out. I hear tell though that you could possibly use a controller or other HID device over bluetooth/usb?

Yeah I played a few games and it's impossible to control.

It's a shame because the emulation is spot on - they look great on the small screen.

Sorry lads, was probably bit harsh, I'm forgetting most of ye have upgraded from feature phones

an update should be OTA but Meteor will never release it probably for a phone like the Europa

www.google.com/m/url?channel=new&client=ms-opera-mobile-android&ei=17BATeCvOci5jAeG3O-PAw&q=http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung/t319497-flash-guide-froyo-galaxy-5-a.html&ved=0CCEQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNHnoz-rhFgl5Y0QY5mYFQhVEs4z0A

I presume that wipes all your current apps off the phone?

I think I'll leave it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It is worth the hassle of doing this? Are there any consequences, like would I lose all my preinstalled apps that came with the phone?

I did this on two Europas without wiping and all was well
    no need to hard reset (wipe)

don't suppose anyone has come across an app that lets you install apps on the microsd card yet?

I've found a few but they don't seem to work.

• Advertisement

don't suppose anyone has come across an app that lets you install apps on the microsd card yet?

I've found a few but they don't seem to work.

Froyo is the only way as there are no custom ROMs for the Europa

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Installed Froyo today using this. All my apps were still there after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Anybody know if they sorted out the gps problems with the 2.2 update?. I just ordered this phone and it should be here by Tuesday :D

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Anybody know if they sorted out the gps problems with the 2.2 update?. I just ordered this phone and it should be here by Tuesday :D

seem fine to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

bad news - Europa is no longer €90 in Meteor - it's €115 now :(
    And online purchase is now €5 cheaper than in the shop (was €10):(

After updating, i dont think this solved the GPS problem. I tried it out once but seemed to be same as before. However, am happy with update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

No where for free. However, it will cost u around nineteen euro to unlock the phone from the following site. I used it and would highly recommend it. Had code for within the day.
    Just tell them who you are with. I was with Meteor.
    http://mobileunlocked.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Can anyone tell me if using the GPS functionality on this phone costs you money?

Don t know. But wish it would work!!!

Can anyone tell me if using the GPS functionality on this phone costs you money?

nope, not for me anyway.

It works for me grand, gives my location on google maps very accurately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement