Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can anyone tell me if using the GPS functionality on this phone costs you money?
    sam27 wrote: »
    Don t know. But wish it would work!!!

Download an app called GPS optimisation from the Market. Its an app specifically for the Galaxy 3/5 to fix the GPS issues. Phone doesn't need to be rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

jayteecork wrote: »
    It works for me grand, gives my location on google maps very accurately.
    Me too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

The GPS Navigation keeps trying to locate where i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Folks, how do you turn off the 3g on this phone? I am headed to the states next week and really do not want to come home with a whopping interweb bill. Unfortunately I will have to have the phone turned on for the most part.

Also, is there any way you can check the phones memory status? I have a 4gb memory card in it, but would like to see what space is left.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

gimmick wrote: »
    Folks, how do you turn off the 3g on this phone? I am headed to the states next week and really do not want to come home with a whopping interweb bill. Unfortunately I will have to have the phone turned on for the most part.

Also, is there any way you can check the phones memory status? I have a 4gb memory card in it, but would like to see what space is left.

Thanks

Check Settings > Wireless adn Network > Mobile Netowrks > Use packet data.
    That should turn it off.
    Otherwise download apndroid in the market. a widget that can turn it on and off at will.

Storage is at
    Settings > SD Card and phone storage
    Or Mini info widget can tell you this.

The use packet data option aint there, but I can switch to 2g (whatever that is). So that may be the same. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

gimmick wrote: »

Thanks

There's an option under Settings> Wireless & Network Setting > Mobile Networks
    that Says "Data Roaming". If this is unticked, your phone won't connect to any data services while roaming (I believe the option is unticked by default).

For memory, go to Settings > SD Card, USB Mass Storage and that'll give you information about storage.

Found an app as well - APNDROID. It turns off and on 3g. Free and handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

How do you update to android 2.2? I downloaded the kies program but it says "This version of the device cannot be updated"

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Trevor451 wrote: »
    How do you update to android 2.2? I downloaded the kies program but it says "This version of the device cannot be updated"

Thanks

use ODIN, I linked to a guide few pages back, or else Google it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

use ODIN, I linked to a guide few pages back, or else Google it

Just got it to work following this guide:
    http://techbits.co.in/forum/index.php?tid=4400

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

Who decides whether there will be an update on the Europa?
    Three or Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andalon

nope, not for me anyway.

It works for me grand, gives my location on google maps very accurately.

Not sure if google maps requires data access - which might cost?
    I am using mapdroid, which allows to download maps and then use them while offline - that way, GPS works for me with mapdroid map, even without SIM card inserted, so no charges (too scared to use SIM card abroad...)

Alas, sometimes GPS takes a good while to figure out the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Never had a smartphone before so interested in an entry-level one like the Samsung Europa just to get me started. Only interested in being able to use twitter, facebook, check emails on the go and use the gps for finding out where I need to go. Would people recommend this phone?

If you're not in a WiFi area, is it expensive to use things like Twitter on this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Crania wrote: »
    Never had a smartphone before so interested in an entry-level one like the Samsung Europa just to get me started. Only interested in being able to use twitter, facebook, check emails on the go and use the gps for finding out where I need to go. Would people recommend this phone?

If you're not in a WiFi area, is it expensive to use things like Twitter on this phone?

GPS is a little dodgy sometimes, but apart from that yeah, this phone is pretty good! Very good email sync with Gmail, because it can incorporate your calendar.

I would call myself a moderate user of Facebook, Twitter and Gmail on this phone, and along with downloading apps, use about 200mb a month, so how expensive it'll be depends on your tariff. I'm with 3, so I can get 500mb internet allowance for €5 a month.

Cheers for that. I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to technology and I have a question about using the internet on this phone. It's free when in a WiFi area, yes? When you are not in a WiFi area, how much does it cost to go online? That's probably a stupid question. I will be getting it on Meteor, is there any kind of special day for the internet such as €10 flat rate a month or something?

Meteor its 1c a KB, thats €10 a MB

Right, I'm an absolute idiot and have no idea how much an MB is. Is every new page opened up mobile internet another KB or what? Sorry, I know that is probably a very stupid question.

Right, I'm an absolute idiot and have no idea how much an MB is. Is every new page opened up mobile internet another KB or what? Sorry, I know that is probably a very stupid question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I have a Samsung Europa on meteor, but when I click on browser it says 'this site is only available to meteor customers' has anyone else come across this? I can use everything else on it fine including Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It depends. Text uses up very little, but images use up loads. Movies/youtube uses up EVEN MORE. How long is a piece of string?

Basically, if you are on PAYG don't use mobile internet (wifi is ok) because they charge exorbitant fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

All,

Have Vodafone released Froyo for the Europa yet? Just got one this morning (2.1 installed) and before I set it up I'd like to upgrade to 2.2.

Ben

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

TFK wrote: »
    I have a Samsung Europa on meteor, but when I click on browser it says 'this site is only available to meteor customers' has anyone else come across this? I can use everything else on it fine including Google.

Yeah, **** the stock browser.
    Download opera lite or dolphin from the app store, they're both free.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Yeah, **** the stock browser.
    Download opera lite or dolphin from the app store, they're both free.

Thank you I'll try one of those. I just thought it was weird seeing as it's a meteor phone :)

Can anyuone tell me how to play .AVI files? I've tried Mixzing and Double Twist with no joy.

Long flight coming up and I want to stuff my 8GB SD card with (mostly) .AVI movies. I've been able to play .MP4 but not .AVI files.

Ben

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Can anyuone tell me how to play .AVI files? I've tried Mixzing and Double Twist with no joy.

Long flight coming up and I want to stuff my 8GB SD card with (mostly) .AVI movies. I've been able to play .MP4 but not .AVI files.

Ben

Rockplayer?

Thanks for the replies.

Another question. How do I restrict data to wi-fi only? I found "Use only 2G networks" which saves the battery but I want all Vodafone data switched off and to only use wi-fi. Any options?

Ben

Thanks for the replies.

Another question. How do I restrict data to wi-fi only? I found "Use only 2G networks" which saves the battery but I want all Vodafone data switched off and to only use wi-fi. Any options?

Ben
    near that there should be an option to turn off network data

Shadow, that's only an option in 2.2 not 2.1 AFAIK. I've sorted it by setting up a fake APN :D

Only problem now is in relation to playing AVI's . Tried Rockplayer but even in software mode it won't play AVI's on this phone. The manual confirms only 3gp and mp4 file formats are supported so it looksLooks like I'll have to convert everything to mp4 in order to play them on this phone :confused: I thought Samsung phones were renowned for playing all sorts of formats.

Ben

Has anyone had Force Closure problems with the Gtasks app on the Europa? I keep getting forced closes with it. https://market.android.com/details?id=org.dayup.gtask

Ben

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Ben
    Look for APNdroid in the market.

I'd like to point out that Droid Wall is much better than APNdroid

I upgraded my Samsung Europa 2.1 to 2.2 Fryo last week. Am on Tesco Mobile (had to unlock it from Meteor.)

Very Happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I upgraded my Samsung Europa 2.1 to 2.2 Fryo last week. Am on Tesco Mobile (had to unlock it from Meteor.)

Very Happy with it

Was it an official upgrade or did you use 2.2 from a website?

Was it an official upgrade or did you use 2.2 from a website?

leaked Samsung update from SamFirmware

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Anybody got a date for when Froyo be released through Kies for this phone? Its apparently this month sometime, anyone any more up to date news?

Nick

Got it from a website. A sotware engineer gave all details on how to do it and worked perfect. Will post details if you want to use it.

Got it from a website. A sotware engineer gave all details on how to do it and worked perfect. Will post details if you want to use it.

Go on so.

thanks, after it says at the beginning to do a hard reset before starting, do you remove sim card and SD card, or do you have both in the phone for the whole process of upgrading?

probably a stupid question but better to ask lol

• Advertisement

thanks, after it says at the beginning to do a hard reset before starting, do you remove sim card and SD card, or do you have both in the phone for the whole process of upgrading?

probably a stupid question but better to ask lol

leave both in or out
    your choice

leave both in or out
    your choice

cool thanks, i have downloaded the firmware from samfirmware, it has all the required programs too and a guide for the Europa, this site is fine to use yea?

first time upgrading the software, dont wana mess it up!!

The facctory reset removes all your programs though doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

There is no need for a hard reset

paconnors wrote: »
    There is no need for a hard reset

so need to do:

"UPDATE : AFTER BACKUP – FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE BY ENTERING THE FOLLOWING CODE

*#*#7780#*#*

TO AVOID PROBLEMS"

so need to do:

"UPDATE : AFTER BACKUP – FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE BY ENTERING THE FOLLOWING CODE

*#*#7780#*#*

TO AVOID PROBLEMS"

no need to do, usually

cool thanks, i have downloaded the firmware from samfirmware, it has all the required programs too and a guide for the Europa, this site is fine to use yea?

first time upgrading the software, dont wana mess it up!!

yeah, its fine

lol, it worked!

Thanks a million for posting guides guys.
    No more ****ty 100MB for apps.

edit: seeing a definite speed increase already.

lol, it worked!

Thanks a million for posting guides guys.
    No more ****ty 100MB for apps.

gratz!

• Advertisement

gratz!

Thanks, thought I ****ed it up as it got stuck on the samsung boot screen for ages.

Advertisement