Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thanks, thought I ****ed it up as it got stuck on the samsung boot screen for ages.

its rebuilding the Dalvik Cache, the update script wipes it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Still won't update to latest version of flash though, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

i felt nervous doing it as well. Did not know what to expect but worked a treat.

btw i did not have to carry out that towards the end. (putting in the code)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

That is the only thing i could not figure out!!!

Flash only works on ARMv7

• Advertisement

Flash only works on ARMv7

In english? :)

In english? :)
    our processors are ****

our processors are ****

lol, k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

ok i have a problem before i do this!!

i downloaded from samfirmware the 2.2 for Europe, i extracted the zipped file, it gave me four files. they are

BOOTLOADER_I5500XXJPF.TAR.MD5
    I5500XXJP3_CSC_OXX_CL83222.TAR.MD5
    MODEM_I5500.TAR.MD5
    PDA_I5500XWJP9_CL880109.TAR.MD5

on Odin i have selected one package, auto reboot, protect ops, on the right hand side i have selected the correct Ops file, but then i have 5 r 6 more fields.

Samfrmware tells me to put each of the above four in the designated field, but another site i have (link below) doesnt mention these four files but tells me to put a file in the one package field which i dont seem to have!

other site - http://techbits.co.in/forum/index.php?tid=4400

where am i going wrong?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its not a one-package firmware so un-tick the one-package box and select each package individually.
    I think its boot, phone, pda, csc are the ones you need to select each of the 4 packages.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Its not a one-package firmware so un-tick the one-package box and select each package individually.
    I think its boot, phone, pda, csc are the ones you need to select each of the 4 packages.

i just ran it, came up PASS in Odin, im assuming all is done, il pop my sim and SD back in, it has a lovely new colour menu, but its in german lol, i found the english setting lol

thanks all for the help! woohooo save to SD card apps :pac::D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Am having a annoying problem with my europa, if I enable APN/Disable APN and re-enable APN it works, if i have apn off and wifi on, then turn wifi off and apn on it wont connect, forcing me to restart the phone to use apn, not exactly efficient! Is there a fix to this does anybody know, will froyo fix this, also does installing this unofficial froyo affect warranty at all?

Cheers

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I've heard of loads of problems with apndroid on 2.1. Apparently 2.2 will fix this for you though, aswell as giving you a load of new features/improvements.

Warranty-wise, you can always just restore the firmware to stock if needed, but idont think it voids thearranty anyway.

****e, everything was going well with froyo until I restarted my phone. Now the apps on my SD card won't show up on the display.

I can see them in manage applications but I can't see any way of selecting them save for transfering them back to phone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Are they the APK files? Maybe you just need to open them and select the SD card as the destination?

Hecklar wrote: »
    Are they the APK files? Maybe you just need to open them and select the SD card as the destination?

Powered off and on my phone again and lo and behold the SD card apps were back!

It's like my grandaddy always told me - when in doubt, restart!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hecklar wrote: »
    I've heard of loads of problems with apndroid on 2.1. Apparently 2.2 will fix this for you though, aswell as giving you a load of new features/improvements.

Warranty-wise, you can always just restore the firmware to stock if needed, but idont think it voids thearranty anyway.

Cheers m8, went ahead and installed it, works great and whats more the data problem seems to be gone, looks much nicer aswell :D

Cheers

Nick

Powered off and on my phone again and lo and behold the SD card apps were back!

It's like my grandaddy always told me - when in doubt, restart!

clear data for launcher - or use a decent launcher :p

Ok now that i have my Europa on 2.2, is there a benefit to rooting a Samsung Galaxy Europa? If so can somebody point me in the direction of how to do this?

Also can the Europa use custom roms like i have read other phones do?

I have noticed better battery performance since i don’t this on Friday, phone seems to be faster too so was a good choice to upgrade!

Ok now that i have my Europa on 2.2, is there a benefit to rooting a Samsung Galaxy Europa? If so can somebody point me in the direction of how to do this?
    you can install apps with root access, allowing full control over your phone
    Also can the Europa use custom roms like i have read other phones do?
    their is like zero development on XDA

• Advertisement

I'm finding I'm losing the wi-fi signal sometimes on 2.2

you can install apps with root access, allowing full control over your phone

so it is worth my while rooting? Is it as simple as storing the root .apk file on your SD card, run it and root that way?

their is like zero development on XDA

so basically Europa is stuck with 2.2 and different home launchers for customising?

so it is worth my while rooting? Is it as simple as storing the root .apk file on your SD card, run it and root that way?
    id say its worth the few minutes it takes (use superoneclick root)

so basically Europa is stuck with 2.2 and different home launchers for customising?
    i guess so

id say its worth the few minutes it takes (use superoneclick root)

i guess so

Cheers, your always helpful

Can i find the superoneclick easy on google? i saw on another side a universalandroot? il have a look for theone you recommend, hopefully theres a guide with it :pac:

What's the best laucnher? Have go launcher ex but it doesn't seem that good.

What's the best laucnher? Have go launcher ex but it doesn't seem that good.

I had launcher pro plus, tried ADW which was good also. Currently i have Launcher 7 i think its called, looks just like Windows mobile format.

Can anybody tell me if you need to unroot your phone when you don’t require root access? Just googling how to root this phone and came across one guide which says you should, is this important?

I had launcher pro plus, tried ADW which was good also. Currently i have Launcher 7 i think its called, looks just like Windows mobile format.

Can anybody tell me if you need to unroot your phone when you don’t require root access? Just googling how to root this phone and came across one guide which says you should, is this important?

Tried launcher 7, didn't like it.

Have launcher pro in now, I like the look of it so far.

Anyone tell me if something like avg free is needed for android?

sure you'll be grand if you read app reviews and permissions before installing

Tried launcher 7, didn't like it.

Have launcher pro in now, I like the look of it so far.

I don’t bother with anti virus stuff, like Shadow said just read what each app has access to, should be fine.

I like Launcher 7, id like it more if i knew how to get more tiles for it, or indeed the sizes required and how to make my own!

• Advertisement

I don't like the look of 7 and it runs like **** for me.

Launcher pro runs like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Apparently, the official Froyo update for the Europa(and i5800 Apollo for that matter) is comging "before the end of March" :)

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/03/14/samsung-romania-android-23-coming-galaxy-s-android-22-i5500-and-i5800/

Will it be up to each carrier in Ireland to roll this out or can Kies just do it? Also if i upgraded with the unofficial one and it works great, should i upgrade with the official one or is it the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Apparently, the official Froyo update for the Europa(and i5800 Apollo for that matter) is comging "before the end of March" :)

Wonder if the impending update is anything to do with the fact that Samsung Apps updated on my my phone and now shows menus.. granted those menus are blank but it's a start..

Will it be up to each carrier in Ireland to roll this out or can Kies just do it? Also if i upgraded with the unofficial one and it works great, should i upgrade with the official one or is it the same thing?

the leaked official one may have been improved since, so best to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

delta36 wrote: »
    Wonder if the impending update is anything to do with the fact that Samsung Apps updated on my my phone and now shows menus.. granted those menus are blank but it's a start..

I was wondering why that happened.

• Advertisement

the leaked official one may have been improved since, so best to upgrade

cool il upgrade when the official release is out, how can i back up my apps as i lost them all when i upgraded last time, is there a way to prevent this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Are you rooted or not?

If yes:

The Free version of Titanium Backup Root should help you do what you want.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

Just to say.. I love this phone. My needs were Google services, mail and very light web access, along with simple Market access, in a *small phone under 120 euro.*

I got stung once with data use before discovering the ease with which you can restrict access on 2.2.

I've migrated from a Nokia 6230, so the camera isn't something that's dissapointed me too much, you get a lot of features in a tight package.

The screen resolution is low, but given my needs, it isn't something that bothers me.

cool il upgrade when the official release is out, how can i back up my apps as i lost them all when i upgraded last time, is there a way to prevent this?

Why did you wipe???
    You shouldnt end up wiping for it, do a Titanium backup anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Noticed yesterday that there is a firmware update for the phone via Kies. Tried to update the phone, followed all of the prompts, and left it there for about 1.5 hrs with the downloading screen on the phone. Got fed up & disconnected it. It didn't update so I tried again later. Same thing happened.

Has anyone else tried to update? or can anyone offer guidance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I ordered one of these today. Really excited to get it, should be arriving on Tuesday. Looking forward to playing around with setting it up properly too. Are there any first timer how tos I should be reading?

Has anyone used the TouchOSC app on it? I'm most excited to get that working.

Edit; "rooting" was the word I needed to Google... Reading this now.

El Pr0n, that looks a bit over the top for the phone you intend to root. Some of the advice on that page is for more advanced phones.

I would suggest visiting xda-developers and reading up on the SuperOneClick thread. 1.7 works perfectly with the Samsung Europa.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

It is a one click solution to Root the phone and installing SU (Super User).

I rooted my Europa with the above link. Please read what the app developer is saying at the start of the thread, particularly the advice written in red.

You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode
    You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed
    Make sure you DO NOT mount your SD card.
    If you still can't get something to run, try doing it in recovery mode.

You will need Samsung Kies installed before using the above.

http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as

---

EDIT: Just to say, Rooting isn't some magical be all and end all, you'll still have a phone whether you Root it or not. If you have to ask yourself\you're not sure why you need to Root, then don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Cheers for the links Amalgam!
    Amalgam wrote: »
    EDIT: Just to say, Rooting isn't some magical be all and end all, you'll still have a phone whether you Root it or not. If you have to ask yourself\you're not sure why you need to Root, then don't.

Well I'm a bit of a nerd, I build music programs with Pd (hence why I want to get TouchOSC working) and I like playing around in Linux and things like that, so the idea of getting my hands dirty with my new toy seems sorta exciting. I'll see how I go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andalon

Amalgam wrote: »
    I got stung once with data use before discovering the ease with which you can restrict access on 2.2.

Seems I got stung too, for a little bit of internet radio...
    is there a way of controling the data tranfer, and have it cut off at e.g. 45 MB (if I have an allowance of 50 MB a day) to protect me from robbery? :)

Thanks for useful hints!

andalon wrote: »
    ..is there a way of controling the data tranfer, and have it cut off at e.g. 45 MB (if I have an allowance of 50 MB a day) to protect me from robbery? :)

A search for 'Data usage' on the Android Market brings up a good few results.

https://market.android.com/search?q=Data+usage&c=apps

The 'Free' versions seem ok, but most of the 'Free' software encourage you to pay for Pro versions with extras like.. the features you want: warnings and various other alerts.

I haven't seen any (so far), that cut you off.

Anyway, click above and have a mooch at the listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭deflemonkid

Just tried updating to the latest firmware using kies. How long should it take?

Kies has finished but my phone has a yellow android symbol in the style of a roadworks sign and says downloading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you mean odin rather than kies?

it took my about 15 mins start to finish. The battery is so much better with 2.2, its ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Is the official 2.2 available yet on Keis for the i5500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Still not available on Kies

Is your phone sim free or from a particular phone company?

As far as I can tell, from the Samsung forums, Kies has been pushing 2.2 out to the Samsung Europa since about March 6th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement