Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minister not wearing a helmet on Liveline right now.

• 02-09-2010 2:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

....according to 'just a cyclist' on Joe Duffy at the moment. He sounds like the male version of Mrs Lovejoy, tune in now at your own peril, god knows where this debate is going to end up :rolleyes:

Edit, he's some guy from Limerick Cycling and Tri-Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Its not illegal to not wear one.. He hasent broke the law.

But I sapose

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

what are you doing listening to that sh1te? only valid excuse is being in traction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Does everybody need to wear a helmet while on the radio?:confused::confused::confused:

My usual excuse is that it's on straight after the News at 1 and I always catch the start before I switch off. Today I left it on to hear the craic about Guns'n'Roses which has so far failed to materialise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

high heels wrote: »

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!
    +1

also

You're all marginalised and DANGEROUS!!

Wear a YELLOW helmet NOW!!

Boo, we started our threads at the same time, just have to wait for them to be merged I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Boo, we started our threads at the same time, just have to wait for them to be merged I guess.

DONE :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

get a PX. they protect you from crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

it will rot your brain that liveline stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Not if you wear a Helmet lined with Tinfoil.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

I wear a high vis and a helmet, helmet was a gift so it would be rude not too :D

Even with the high vis jacket people still dont see me.

Now that the schools are back and the mommies are outside the schools in the SUV's, they just dont look for cyclists, so no high vis will help there.

Demonstrated today when a SUV stopped suddenly to wave another SUV into a sideroad, I was at theback left of the SUV so couldnt see through the monster truck that another behemoth was about to T-bone me :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wear a helmet!;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What happened on Liveline?

Seriously lads, I don't know why I do this to myself but you have to listen don't you. Some guy said he fell off his bike 20 years ago and broke a bone in his hand or something. He said the doctor said to him that he must have been wearing a helmet, he said why, the doctor says you could have been dead otherwise :D
    You couldn't make it up ! I was waiting for him to say that his helmet was cracked in half or something, I don't think he even fell on his head but then again listening to him I think he may have.

Now you have the Damien fella asking are cyclists very self righteous and cranky and he started talking about the cycle lane in the park. Thank god that woman from the cycle shop quickly corrected him on that saying you get it from everyone, cyclists, walkers and drivers.

Anyway, if there's one thing to be taken from this, wear a high-vis and you'll never be in an accident for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm wearing a helmet and high viz at the moment. And I'm not even cycling! I'm wearing safety glasses too. I'd definitely be dead if I wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Be afraid, they may be idiots calling in, but enough idiots will get compulsory helmets brought in

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Be afraid, they may be idiots calling in, but enough idiots will get compulsory helmets brought in
    It would be just another one of those 'sort of' laws. The ones you don't really have to obey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It would be just another one of those 'sort of' laws. The ones you don't really have to obey.

A bit like lights but if the gards fine enough people more will start wearing them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Must listen to it later on. Sounds gas.

"I'm a mother Joe and..."

• Advertisement

A bit like lights but if the gards fine enough people more will start wearing them.
    The gardaí won't though*. So, it's as you were everyone.

*Well they might for a week or two if there is an orchestrated safety campaign. Like the one about jay walking a few years ago in Dublin. I remember that lasted for about a week and a half.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Take every opportunity to agree that helmets do have a positive safety benefit for cyclists, and that it is the same benefit that would accrue to pedestrians and motorists if they wore helmets. This way, when people call for compulsion in this matter, they will have to explain why they want to protect cyclists over other categories of road user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

el tonto wrote: »
    "I'm a mother Joe and..."

Joe" "Yeah...yeah...yeah..
    is dat right?...yeah...yeah...yeah...
    if I send a researcher around to poke you with a sharp stick will you cry on air for us?
    ...yeah...yeah..."
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just tuned in before the end -- somebody from one of the charities was on saying cycling is basically a sport and like other sports you need helmets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

monument wrote: »
    Just tuned in before the end -- somebody from one of the charities was on saying cycling is basically a sport and like other sports you need helmets.

Sorry luv, the Adrian Kennedy phone show is on another station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, these are 09 deaths vs 06 volumes but you get the idea.
    Cycling Fatalities 7 of 36,306 Probability of : 0.000193
    Ped Fatilities 40 of 205,688 Probability: 0.000194

Should pedestrians be made wear body armour and crash helmets?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

They should be!!!

Take a fall without one and you'll know all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

They should be!!!

I've fallen off bikes many times over the years while commuting around town. I've broken my wrist, suffered road rash etc but never once hit my head.

I wear a helmet these days while out on long spins on my road bike but if I used a bike merely for commuting I don't think I'd bother wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Eh, don't know if this has been brought up yet but...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0902/breaking4.html

No firm details but it seems the unfortunate lady, who was wearing a helmet at the time, died from head injuries sustained in a fall from her bicycle, with no other vehicle involved.

• Advertisement

They should be!!!

I'd rate wrist guards and elbow pads way above helmets, every damn time its the palm of the hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I'd rate wrist guards and elbow pads way above helmets, every damn time its the palm of the hands.

Who ever said it was a question of wrist guards and elbow pads over helmets?

Why not all three?

Wearing leather pants would be the biggest prevention measure for injuries if my crash experience has anything to go by. Bloody road rash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

There are no disadvantages to wearing a helmet, why would you not wear one or even complain about it being mandatory.

Remember Ireland before we wore seat belts and drinking and driving was ok....

Much like you never know when or where you get a puncture you never know when you might have that crash that your helmet could be the difference between life and something worse.

Its a bit of a non argument if you ask me.

Gophur wrote: »
    Who ever said it was a question of wrist guards and elbow pads over helmets?

Lethal_Bullet did.
    There are no disadvantages to wearing a helmet, why would you not wear one or even complain about it being mandatory.…Its a bit of a non argument if you ask me.

Did you read this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056001700

Moflojo wrote: »
    Eh, don't know if this has been brought up yet but...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0902/breaking4.html

No firm details but it seems the unfortunate lady, who was wearing a helmet at the time, died from head injuries sustained in a fall from her bicycle, with no other vehicle involved.

Terrible about that lady.

• Advertisement

Lethal_Bullet did.

Did you read this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056001700

Only bits or it,

It turned into people being upset about their civial liberties being imposed upon and half baked ideas of they should fix x y z before they make me wear a helmet.

There are no disadvantages to wearing a helmet, why would you not wear one or even complain about it being mandatory.

So, do you were a helmet while walking? There's no disadvantage so why would you not wear one while walking? :confused:

The trouble is the are possible disadvantages already mentioned in this and previous threads.

See now you are just trying to pick an argument / win some sort of moral fight on the internet or something.

As almost an intelligent person who has ever cycled is well aware of all the extra factors of the unknown we expose ourselves to when out biking be they motorized vehicles , other cyclist, bad roads, trams, whatever. We are more at risk when on the roads on a bike than we are when walking on a footpath.

If you can't see this perhaps you should not be cycling?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wear a helmet all the time, if they make it compulsory it will be the first law I willingly break to be spiteful, as it will be the first law that does not bear justification in my eyes. I'll then run for TD with this as my only basis for being elected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Terrible about that lady.

+1 a terrible tragedy, sympathy to her family

• Advertisement

Only bits or it,

It turned into people being upset about their civial liberties being imposed upon and half baked ideas of they should fix x y z before they make me wear a helmet.

That's not a reading of the thread that accords with my understanding of it at all. There's a lot more in there and it would be worth another look.

'There are no disadvantages to wearing a helmet' is very simplistic in the light of some of the points made in that thread about rotational injuries, possible modifications to driver and cyclist behaviour, etc. etc. In certain kinds of crash 'your helmet could be the difference between life and something worse', but not in the sense that you have in mind. As I said elsewhere, I always wear a helmet but I still oppose making helmets mandatory.

The 'half baked ideas' about fixing things (legal, infrastructure, training, and so on) would most probably do more for cyclists' safety than a mandatory helmet law. The argument about a mandatory helmet law should not distract from the advisability of making other improvements.

The argument about the usefulness of helmets is much more complex than you're suggesting. You can call it a non-argument only if you ignore a great deal of the complexity.

As almost an intelligent person who has ever cycled is well aware of all the extra factors of the unknown we expose ourselves to when out biking be they motorized vehicles , other cyclist, bad roads, trams, whatever. We are more at risk when on the roads on a bike than we are when walking on a footpath.

Sorry, but since when have pedestrians not have to deal with motorised vehicles, cyclists, bad roads, trams, and whatever?

I'm not very intelligent, but pedestrians don't just use footpaths, they have to cross the road and often that's where there's no pedestrian lights. Outside urban areas and sometimes in urban areas they have to walk along roads. Cars and cyclists also cross the footpaths all the time and cyclist and motorist often wrongly mount footpaths. In serious crashes, vehicles often end up on the footpath.

More pedestrians than cyclists are killed each year and head injury could easily be sustained by tripping on an uneven footpaths.

There's loads of danger out there for pedestrians too. Do you know the think about these dangers? Helmets would only help in a small percentage of the time and the same goes for cyclists.

EDIT: Plus I'm guessing you'll be wearing a helmet in a car? Research shows that even with air bags and safety belts helmets could be of benefit to motorists and passengers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

And the same applies to driver and walker helmets: you wouldn't expect any complaints if they were made mandatory, would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Its a bit of a non argument if you ask me.
    Fine. You wear a helmet if you want and I'll wear one if I want. You'll hear no arguments from anyone.

Questions:

1. Just because something will reduce risk, even minimally, should it become mandatory?
    2. If the answer is no, what is the level at which it ought to become mandatory?

The big problem with these kinds of discussions is that sometimes positions are adopted on assumptions that are never questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can see the headline:
    Man cycles bicycle without helmet. Doesn't die of massive head trauma!!!

The real issue is the complete lack on the implementation of the lights laws. Was in town tonight and the problem is worse than I'd previously noticed.

They are mandatory, and with good reason.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I can see the headline:

HEADLINE: Man uses hands to protect his head

SUB-HEAD: Garda gives jaywalker ASBO

That was my story. Not sure which was stranger, the pedestrian getting an ASBO or me somehow not hitting my head off the ground because of these strange hands and arms things doing some sort of voodoo. Not too be too smart about it, was very glad that I only came out with sore hand and leg that lasted little more than two weeks and no damage to the bike. Very lucky that he Garda witnessed it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

See now you are just trying to pick an argument / win some sort of moral fight on the internet or something.

Perrhaps you should reread the rest of this thread. For clarity I'll repeat what Lethal Bullet posted:
    Ok, these are 09 deaths vs 06 volumes but you get the idea.
    Cycling Fatalities 7 of 36,306 Probability of : 0.000193
    Ped Fatilities 40 of 205,688 Probability: 0.000194
    From above, you are just at risk when walking as when cycling. Do you plan on wearing a helmet when walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Compulsory helmets would make it easier to slap people across the head when threads like this start:)

This is what we need:-

New-Airbag-Test.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement