Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Maps- WTF?

• 02-09-2010 2:34pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

Being a relative noob to Limerick, I rely heavily on google maps to help me figure me way round. I'm getting the measure of the place now though and I'm just after noticing a few "inaccuracies" to put it mildly. First off, I see that the Castletroy Carlton is placed where the Parkway should be, and the Parkway Shopping Centre is down in Castletroy apparently. Then I see that King John's Castle is listed as being opposite Trim Castle, and there's apparently a Boyne Valley Hotel on the Junction of St. Patrick's Road and the Dublin Road (even though A. I've never seen it, and B. I stayed in the Boyne Valley Hotel in Navan). Curiouser and curiouser.

These are the only ones I've picked up on, as they're near my house. Has anyone else noticed any similar clangers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Being a relative noob to Limerick, I rely heavily on google maps to help me figure me way round. I'm getting the measure of the place now though and I'm just after noticing a few "inaccuracies" to put it mildly. First off, I see that the Castletroy Carlton is placed where the Parkway should be, and the Parkway Shopping Centre is down in Castletroy apparently. Then I see that King John's Castle is listed as being opposite Trim Castle, and there's apparently a Boyne Valley Hotel on the Junction of St. Patrick's Road and the Dublin Road (even though A. I've never seen it, and B. I stayed in the Boyne Valley Hotel in Navan). Curiouser and curiouser.

These are the only ones I've picked up on, as they're near my house. Has anyone else noticed any similar clangers?

Those tags are added by individuals off their own bat I believe, not really anything to do with Google themselves.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The tags I understand but the Castletroy/Parkway mix-up is all Google's doing afaik

The tags I understand but the Castletroy/Parkway mix-up is all Google's doing afaik

The Parkway one is wrong alright, but the carlton one is a pin-marker somebody put in. If you look on the left hand side you can see an option to add your business to the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

The picture is still a few years old isn't it? The living Brifge in UL doesn't exist and as far as I can remember the Pa Healy bridge in Corbally was still being built :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And there's no sign of the new bypass or tunnel - not even a sign of it "under construction" round the Rosbrien interchange.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And there's no sign of the new bypass or tunnel - not even a sign of it "under construction" round the Rosbrien interchange.

I thought you would be happy about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Yeah, That Google Map of limerick is getting old now and needs to be updated. Somebody get on to Google and get them to get that satellite to do another pass over the city.

There is a difference between Google Maps and Google Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dublin and Cork were recently updated with High Resolution images. Limerick, Im sure, is not on Googles priority list of cities around the world to be updated.

You should be lucky. On Google earth 2 years ago you couldn't even see Limerick as it was blurry and certain parts of the city had masses of cloud cover.

The Google Street View was recently finished nationwide and the images are being compiled and processed as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dave 27

google earth is really old over limerick too, i think it was taken in january 2005 so there are a lot of things that would be out of date on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As Dave said, these maps are nearly 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'd noticed how old they were a few weeks back when I was trying to find out if you could go off the end of the bypass into Roxboro like before the tunnel road was there. I don't think you can, which is really annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

No satellite images here, but the maps are very accurate, has all the new motorways on it, also the Shannon Tunnel etc...

http://www.openstreetmap.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I thought you would be happy about that?

What's that supposed to mean ?

While it's crazy that you can no longer go directly from Adare into town, people should know.

Likewise, the new ring road is handy for getting from anywhere on the southside to the N69 @ Mungret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vito123

About the google maps - when I rented apartment in Dooradoyle my street (Springfields) didnt exist on google maps. THey dont update this regularly...

Advertisement