Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Scone!

Options
  • 02-09-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am trying to find the perfect scone recipe and need some help. I have tried loads of different recipes over the past few days (the family are sick of eating scones now!). I have found a good recipe and the scones are lovely and fluffy inside but ... the one problem I can not solve is why the scones seem to spread slightly - they are still quite high and well risen but they tend to spread out abit and also the top of the scone splits/cracks - so that they have an uneven appearance .My recipe is -

8oz SR Flour
    pinch of salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1.5oz butter
    1.5 oz sugar
    1 egg and milk to make up half a pint.

Usual method of making scones and then I brush them with egg and milk glaze and bake at 200 (fan oven) for 10-15 mins.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Why do them kinda flop out and also why do they split on top??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I'd imagine it's all that raising agent doing the oul split-and-flop

If you are using self raising flour, bring back the baking powder to half a level teaspoon for 8oz.

Also, up the butter to 2.5oz, and preheat your baking tray in the oven before the bake. Roll them thick, about 2 inches thick, don't cut them too wide- 2inch diameter.

Also, don't over-knead the mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Use buttermilk!

Advertisement